No announcement yet.

Filing taxes

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Filing taxes

    How do I go about filing taxes with ssdi? I want to e-file for free so I can get the most on my return but im not sure how different it is than usual. Do I need to call the state for a w-2?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

    My Myspace

    did u pay any taxes from your ssdi, most ppl dont. rep
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer


      No, but someone mentioned that im elligible for a rebate.
      Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

      My Myspace


        hmm, i dont know. if u didnt pay in how can u get a refund. mkeep us posted. im curious rep
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer


          Updated March 5, 2008

          Starting in May, the Treasury will begin sending economic stimulus payments to more than 130 million households. To receive a payment, taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number, $3,000 of income and file a 2007 federal tax return. IRS will take care of the rest. Eligible people will recieve up to $600 ($1,200 for married couples), and parents will receive an additional $300 for each eligible child younger than 17. Millions of retires, disabled veterans and low-wage workers who usually are exempt from filing a tax return must do so this year in order to receive a stimulus payment.

          But there are more details to know about. Find out more here and visit this page regularly for the latest updates.


          Economic Stimulus Payments: Information for Recipients of Social Security Benefits
          Updated March 5, 2008

          This section is for people who receive Social Security retirement or disability benefits. The IRS and Treasury will be working closely with the Social Security Administration to ensure that all eligible individuals know what to do to receive a stimulus payment.

          Normally, certain Social Security payments are not subject to income tax. However, the economic stimulus law passed in February contains a special provision allowing Social Security recipients to count those benefits toward the qualifying income requirement of $3,000 and thereby qualify for the stimulus payment.

          For purposes of meeting the qualifying income requirement, the following benefit needs to be reported in any combination on Line 14a of the Form 1040A or Line 20a of Form 1040:
          Social Security benefits reported on the 2007 Form SSA-1099, which people would have received in January 2008. People who do not have a Form 1099 may estimate their annual Social Security benefit by taking their monthly benefit, multiplying it by the number of months during the year they received the benefits, and entering the number on Line 14a of the Form 1040A or Line 20a of Form 1040.
          Sample Form 1040A, example only

          Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.

          Basic Eligibility Requirements
          Individuals or families must have at least $3,000 in qualifying income, which can be income from or in combination with Social Security benefits, Veterans Affairs benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits and earned income.
          People must have valid Social Security Numbers.
          People cannot be claimed as dependents or eligible to be claimed as dependents on another's tax return.
          People must file a 2007 tax form, i.e. Form 1040A.
          Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

          I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.


            hey I sent you a PM. Do your parents claim you? If not you should be able to get it.
            If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

            Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.


              just in case you do not know what a SSA-1099 is, that is the statement you got at the end of 2007 showing what you earned in social security benefits for the year. it does not look like a w-2, but it will say SSA-1099 on it.

              basically, if social security is all of your income, and you are not normally required to file, you fill out your name, address, social security number, filing status, and exemption information. then, if that is all the income you had, you just need to enter the amount from box 5 of the SSA-1099 on the Form 1040 on the left side of line number 20, which is labeled 20a; or Form 1040A, line 14a. sign it, and put it in the mail.

              if you had other income, you would fill out your return as normal and add in the social security as well.

              i think most any other question you would have is answered above, such as if you are claimed as dependent on anyone else's return, you are not eligible for the rebate.

              and yes, if you do not file, you do not get the rebate, even if you are eligible. so if anyone normally does not need to file they should this year if they meet the qualifications for the rebate just to get that rebate.


                Last edited by november; 6 Mar 2008, 9:38 PM.
                Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash


                  If social security is your only income make sure you write "stimulus payment" on top of your form.
                  If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

                  Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.


                    yes, you can file electronically at the irs site.

                    the following article has some good information about the rebate. there is so much false information being circulated about having to repay it and claim it on taxes next year, so this will answer a lot of those questions.


                    Eager for stimulus rebate? Check out these myths and facts

                    By Shelley Shelton
                    Arizona Daily Star
                    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.03.2008


                    The Internal Revenue Service has gone into myth-busting mode.
                    Just weeks after Congress passed an economic stimulus package that includes so-called "rebate" payments for about 130 million taxpayers, rumors and misconceptions abound over who is eligible and how to get the money.
                    The IRS has been busy releasing notices to clarify what's going on, with plans to send out letters this week reminding people to file 2007 tax returns in order to receive their economic stimulus payments.
                    Here are some other morsels you might need to chew on when it comes to your stimulus payment.
                    Myth: You have to report the stimulus payment you receive this year as income and pay tax on it.
                    Fact: The payments are not taxable and will not negatively affect the 2008 tax return you file in 2009.
                    Myth: Economic stimulus payments will reduce your refund when you file your taxes next year.
                    Fact: Not only will the payment not reduce your refund, but if you receive less than the maximum amount, you could receive an additional credit amount, up to the maximum, on your return next year. If your stimulus payment is more than the credit calculated on your return next year, you do not have to repay the difference. (The maximum amount is up to $600 for individuals or $1,200 for married couples filing jointly, plus up to $300 for each qualifying child.)
                    Myth: Filing taxes is so hard, you can't possibly do them yourself, and professionals are too expensive.
                    Fact: People not normally required to file can use a special, simple version of Form 1040A to qualify for the payment, only needing to fill out a few lines of the form. And there are dozens of free tax preparation sites in the Tucson area for low-income and elderly taxpayers. To locate such a site, call 1-800-906-9887 or 1-800-352-3792.
                    Myth: Payments are automatic for everyone. You don't need to do anything but keep checking your mail in anticipation of its arrival.
                    Fact: You must file a federal tax return in order to receive it. If you are one of millions of people who don't normally file a tax return, but got at least $3,000 in Social Security, railroad retirement or certain veterans' benefits, or if you have a small amount of earned income, you need to file a Form 1040A to receive a minimum payment of $300 for individuals or $600 for married couples.
                    Myth: Payments won't be mailed until July or later, which doesn't help when you need your money now.
                    Fact: Payments will begin going out starting in early May and will continue through the summer. The IRS has yet to release the 2008 stimulus payment direct deposit and mail-out schedule. The fastest way to get your payment is to electronically file your taxes and have the money directly deposited into your bank account.
                    Myth: Everyone is eligible for a stimulus payment.
                    Fact: Lots of people aren't going to get it. People who have less than $3,000 in qualifying income who wouldn't otherwise file a return, "nonresident aliens," people who don't have a valid Social Security number, those who can be claimed as dependents on someone else's return, and anyone who files a Form 1040NR, Form 1040PR or Form 1040SS are not eligible. Also, anyone with an income above the level at which the stimulus payment gradually reduces until it is phased out will not get a stimulus payment. Phase-out income levels begin at $75,000 for a single head of household or $150,000 for married filing jointly.


                      After much reading and searching on this subject, I am still confused and not sure if it is a good idea to file for it. Some blogs have been discussing it and most of them seem to point to the possibility that we will be having to pay the money back. One question that has been asked is: Where is that money coming from if we didn't pay anything for last year?

                      I don't know. I am certainly very not sure if it is worth trying to get it and find out next year that we need to pay it back or even have to be filing every year from now on. If we go by the tax table, I should have paid taxes last year but didn't since SSA didn't take any away. I am not working and the check from them is my only source of income aside from SSI.

                      Can anybody really give me a clear and straight answer?

                      Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

                      A warrior is not one who always wins,
                      but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~



                        if you read the above posted article, it should explain the questions you have about repayment.
                        you do not have to repay it next year.

                        this rebate is money the government is pumping into society to try to rev up the economy. it is not based on any taxes you paid in. the filing of a tax return for 2007 is simply the manner in which the irs is going to pay out the rebate.

                        remember last year, there was a telephone rebate that had nothing to do with your tax return, but you had to file out a tax return in order to get it? well, if you had to file taxes you got the rebate that way, if you didnt, there was a telephone rebate form you filled out and sent in. that money was because their was a telephone tax that had expired but the phone companies continued to charge it and the way the government chose to reimburse consumers was via tax returns. this is sorta, but not actually the same kind of deal.

                        notice this is not a refund, it is a rebate. it is not in any way connected to taxes you owe or pay. they do have criteria for being eligible, like having to earn at least 3000. of certain income, like social security, and limits like the cap for when you are not eligible on the upper earnings end.

                        i know there is all sorts of rhetoric on the internet about having to pay it back, having to claim it as income on next years return, or having next years refund reduced by the amount of the rebate. that is why i posted the above article to try to help people understand this rebate.

                        i think, as with everything they do, the government has made this very difficult for the public to understand. they should have sent out letters to every household long before now. no one understands how it is going to work, so dont feel like you are alone.

                        the following came directly off of the irs website:


                        Q. Is my stimulus payment taxable?
                        A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment. In the event you do not qualify for the full amount this year but you do next year, you will need to have the letter as a record of the amount you previously received.
                        Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?
                        A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return.
                        it you go to

                        at the very top of the information it says...
                        Stimulus Payments Rebate Questions

                        click on that and it should answer every possible question you have. it is pretty easy to decipher, but then again, i am trained in income tax and the lingo is familiar to me. lol if you read that and do not understand something, just ask and i will try to help.

                        go ahead and file. you are entitled to it.

                        and, you have to remember, social security alone is generally not taxable but can be taxable when there is also other income. just because you drew an amount over the filing threshhold for wages, doesnt mean you would have to file on your ss benefits. (i am talking about your comment about last year).

                        maybe this will help you to understand...


                        Social Security alone is usually excluded
                        Generally, if Social Security is your only income, your benefits are not taxable, and you probably do not need to file a federal income tax return.
                        From the Internal Revenue Service's standpoint, Social Security benefits include monthly survivor and disability benefits, but not supplemental security income payments, which are not taxable.
                        But if you collect other income in addition to Social Security, you could owe taxes on at least a portion of your government benefits

                        i hope this helps.