No announcement yet.

Questions About Relocating, Living On Your Own, Caregivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks KLD and SoFla. I was just curious.

Beth, no colostomy, but that falls under the AM care category.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

sorry to ask steven ...do you have family?without my family i was dead by now.i am lucky.good luck and find the best solution .

Comment

Here in Charleston I do. I wouldn't if I moved, though.
        ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

hi steven,

nursing student still works for me evening shift during the week, i'm blessed with 3 PA's and a great backup one.

good luck with interview

oh, i knew you weren't leaving cc, we're not walking yet.
          http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Might want to check out how their paratransit works also. Here we have "ramp equipped" buses for all routes. If you live within a few blocks of a stop you need to show exceptional need for door to door. Exceptional need includes heat and cold intolerance and appearently being over 64. Door to door is wonderful except when snow and ice show. Then I call up and ask if they will run that day. Often the answer is somewhere along the lines of: well.......we can get you there but if it gets any worse.... I tried the ramp equipped buses with my powerchair and a friend once. You have to get on in front and the clicker for one back wheel is halfway down. I haven't tried them recently but even back then I had problems with my chair sliding and it was damn difficult to back down into that space. So if you can arrange door to door, all the better. That's if you have a set drop off and pick up.

Are you planning on renting? Apartment or house? Who does the shoveling and how soon is a big question. Up here they tend to wait for most of it to melt unless we get "the super storm of *insert year*" and then all crews are out drinking coffee.

Kansas City? Must be a great job.
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I passed the first interview and am awaiting the next, which will be more technical. The interviewer said some of their employees use mass transit, so I know it's on their route.

That said, a better potential opportunity popped up in the meantime. If that one works out, I'll jump on it instead. Relocating and snow would still be involved, but it's not in tornado alley.

Thanks for the snow tip--I hadn't even thought about that. Cities shut down with flurries here and I just assumed everyone up north worked through it. Chances are I'll be in an apartment, so hopefully snow clearing will be taken care of.

Comment

Most places do work through it so to speak, but road crews don;t can;t always keep up. There are usually town ordinances about cleaning sidewalks, etc. They often state that these areas have to be cleared w/ 12 to 24 hours after the storm stops. Usually office buildings and apartment buildings have staff to keep the area clear, but it is something to consider. In some areas the town clears the sidewalks, in others the property owners are responsible for the stretch along their property.

(ps speaking for New England here ..... mid west may be different. )
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

In Wisconsin homeowners or apartment owners are responsible for shoveling within 24 hours. That and the mailmen there walk the routes so they refuse to deliver to unshoveled walks and drives after 48 hours. Here it's either the homeowner if they live along a paved trail or have a sidewalk. Supposed to be as soon as the snow ends. Except for major storms no one shovels anything but their own drives. Trust me on this: powerchairs and snow covered walkways, driveways and especially any thing you have to climb over like a 1 inch road to drive bump will leave you spinning real soon. And never use kitty litter with tracked tires if you have carpeting.

Nice thing about door to door is if you get a nice driver they'll actually stick around to make sure you make it in the door or even help with opening your front door for you. Not that they are supposed to but early on I needed just a little help with the wrist turning and had a great driver.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Edwards
                    I passed the first interview and am awaiting the next, which will be more technical.

That said, a better potential opportunity popped up in the meantime. If that one works out, I'll jump on it instead.

Comment

Thanks sjean, Sue, and Scott.

Sue, now you have me thinking about how much fun I can have wiping out in the snow.

Comment

Thanks sjean, Sue, and Scott.

Sue, now you have me thinking about how much fun I can have wiping out in the snow.
                        Hey, back in my teen years me and the friends would pile in my ancient 1969 Impala 357 and do donuts on the land ice rink downtown. Just wait till around 10 pm so the parking lot was empty and zoom down South River Street and hit the brakes hard when I was about 10 feet past the entrance. DONUT CITY!! Hard to get hurt when all the sides of the lot were piled 10 feet high with snow.

Just don't go down hill in your chair while wiping out or you will fall out.

Oh, and if you won't have fulltime help you might check into one of those "help, I've fallen and can't get up" services. I know. Maybe they have voice activated ones now.

Comment

Thinking of food to eat, I thought about boiled peanuts. Does anyone in the midwest or northeast know what green peanuts are or, more importantly, where to get them?

Comment

Thinking of food to eat, I thought about boiled peanuts. Does anyone in the midwest or northeast know what green peanuts are or, more importantly, where to get them?
                            Your local health food or organic place should know what they are and stock them or can order them. I remember boiled peanuts in RCs down in southern Illinois as a kid.

Comment

Go to a health food store for boiled peanuts? That's almost an oxymoron.

Thanks Sue.

Comment

Go to a health food store for boiled peanuts? That's almost an oxymoron.

Thanks Sue.
                                Like organic chocolate is less of a diet killer than Godiva's?

Comment

Working...
                                X