Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to tell prospective college of disability?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    While Sarah may not want to "play the SCI card" so to speak, it IS part of her make up. And her excellent credentials are even more impressive when considered in light of it. I think the idea of including a mention of it in her essay, is an excellent way of dealing with it. Most of the essays written recently in my family have included something along the lines of "Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken or ethical dilemma and its impact on you." (My oldest graduated with his Masters last year, and I have 2 still in college. My youngest is Sarah's age. The quote was from an essay I still had floating around on this computer.) SHe could take this to what ever level she wants, whether something concerning her sci being the signifigant experience, or simply briefly mentioning it in passing.

    SOmething to consider in regards to accessibility (many of which have been touched on.)

    ADA can not change the terrain. A very hilly campus is going to limit her. As well as one that is very spread out. BU in Boston for example has some buildings almost a mile apart.

    Yes, she can fight for accessibility. The schools SHOULD be accessible and she can fight for it if need be. But a choice that is accessible, and doesn;t need her to be the advocate, would be one less hurdle.

    Consider more than whether classrooms and HER DORM ROOM are accessible. My daughter's dorm is barely accessible, and luckily for me she lives on the 1st floor. There is no elevator. Some of the newer dorms are very accessible, and if Sarah were going there is where she would live. But consider the fact that she wouldn;t be able to visit friends upstairs in my daughter's dorm.

    SHe is in 11th grade. You are just starting down this path, and she has plenty of time. Keep in mind that a lot can change in the next 18 months. ANd make sure she gets the most out of high school .... don't just worry about college. That old adage about the journey being more important than the destination.




    T7-8 since Feb 2005

    Comment


      #17
      Rick,

      How are you and the family? I am the mom of Loretta and Michael, the boy who I must toss frozen marbles in his bed to ensure that he gets up in the morning! We met this summer at KKI. I am excited to read about Sara and her plans for college. I am learning from your questions because we have an 11th grader w/ a SCI appliying to colleges as well. Please give our best to Sara and our congratulations for her outstanding grades. She will go far...
      Take care, Debbie

      Comment


        #18
        Hello,

        I remember you and your daughter. My son and her were injured in 2004 right? You gave me so good advice and now it is now my turn to help you.
        My son is now in 12 th grade and we live in NY. He sounds just like your DD. 10 AP's , 5th in his class , 2190 on SAT's , 97.6 avg. blah blah blah. The only difference between them is, my son is a quad. I just finished helping him in the college application process we are now DONE. He appplied Early action to SUNY's Binghamton Albany. Regular admission to privates Cornell, Columbia. ( both reaches) and early action to Fordham, and Hofstra. l
        You must visit each campus and speak to the disabilty depts. at each school. We have issues pertaining to his ADL's. Your daughter is a para? right. So proboably she don't have as many ADL issues as my son. Still, visiting the schools is the only way to find out if it is a good "fit" for her, rfinding out for real about how big the campus, if it is level enough, if it has wide enough doors, too many inaccessible buildings( despite what they say on the websites).
        In a weird way being disabled may help her in the application part for very selective schools. On the Common Application which Cornell, Stanford, and many liberal art colleges use, on one of the choices for the main essay topic, is " Descibe an event, person, situation that changed your life " Well I know many students in my son's class and many students in general have problems finding topics for these essays, but my son has his topic right there!! As a matter of fact two of my son's friends used my son's relationship with them as their topic. Also there are two scholarships that I think he has a great chance of getting. 1) The Horatio Alger Schlorship and the Chair Scholarship. Both of them are worth between 2,000 and 10,000 /yr.
        You do not have to mention her disabilty at all. They do not used them for admission tools. But again , use them for the essays.
        My son is on the Medicaid waiver program to get his 16 hours/ day care so as per the rules. he can't attend colleges out of state because Medicaid can't cross state lines. (Thank God we live in New York has a plethora of schools)
        The vocab rehab will only pay if college is a stepping stone to get a job. ie. My son is thinking about law school someday, at this time he wants to major in history/ economics , so far they said it is ok but I fear they may say no, so teaching is another intrest he has, so we will going to say he will be a social studies teacher and since he is going to have about 32 AP credits in hand, taking education courses AND the major will not be so bad
        The vocational rehab at least here will pay (in his case because of the severity of his injury) the SUNY ( State University of New York) tuition rate @ any SUNY school or pro-rate it @ private school, all room and board, books, fees, tranportation and for an aide.
        Now since they willl also payfor out of state if that state has a program that New york State does not have. So we found out that the University of Illinois@ Urbana ( the flagship) has an great program for students that are severly disabled require ADL's / w/c they actually have students and staff on campus in a special dorm that provide soup to nuts care for people like my son. plus they have everything right there (PT/OT, SCI Physicians, and also they will teach my son how to self advocate for himself!! ( The best thing the vocab rehab will pick it up
        Anyway your daughter sounds like she is going places and like my son they both are going to reach for the stars and grab a few !! If you have any questions about college apllications let me drop me a line !!

        Joe

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by mom01
          Rick,

          How are you and the family? I am the mom of Loretta and Michael, the boy who I must toss frozen marbles in his bed to ensure that he gets up in the morning! We met this summer at KKI. I am excited to read about Sara and her plans for college. I am learning from your questions because we have an 11th grader w/ a SCI appliying to colleges as well. Please give our best to Sara and our congratulations for her outstanding grades. She will go far...
          Take care, Debbie
          Hi Debbie!

          Great to hear from you, I hope you're far away from all those fires in CA.

          Tell everyone we said hi. Best to all of you.

          Rick
          Rick

          GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by okwjoe
            Hello,

            I remember you and your daughter. My son and her were injured in 2004 right? You gave me so good advice and now it is now my turn to help you.
            My son is now in 12 th grade and we live in NY. He sounds just like your DD. 10 AP's , 5th in his class , 2190 on SAT's , 97.6 avg. blah blah blah. The only difference between them is, my son is a quad. I just finished helping him in the college application process we are now DONE. He appplied Early action to SUNY's Binghamton Albany. Regular admission to privates Cornell, Columbia. ( both reaches) and early action to Fordham, and Hofstra. l
            You must visit each campus and speak to the disabilty depts. at each school. We have issues pertaining to his ADL's. Your daughter is a para? right. So proboably she don't have as many ADL issues as my son. Still, visiting the schools is the only way to find out if it is a good "fit" for her, rfinding out for real about how big the campus, if it is level enough, if it has wide enough doors, too many inaccessible buildings( despite what they say on the websites).
            In a weird way being disabled may help her in the application part for very selective schools. On the Common Application which Cornell, Stanford, and many liberal art colleges use, on one of the choices for the main essay topic, is " Descibe an event, person, situation that changed your life " Well I know many students in my son's class and many students in general have problems finding topics for these essays, but my son has his topic right there!! As a matter of fact two of my son's friends used my son's relationship with them as their topic. Also there are two scholarships that I think he has a great chance of getting. 1) The Horatio Alger Schlorship and the Chair Scholarship. Both of them are worth between 2,000 and 10,000 /yr.
            You do not have to mention her disabilty at all. They do not used them for admission tools. But again , use them for the essays.
            My son is on the Medicaid waiver program to get his 16 hours/ day care so as per the rules. he can't attend colleges out of state because Medicaid can't cross state lines. (Thank God we live in New York has a plethora of schools)
            The vocab rehab will only pay if college is a stepping stone to get a job. ie. My son is thinking about law school someday, at this time he wants to major in history/ economics , so far they said it is ok but I fear they may say no, so teaching is another intrest he has, so we will going to say he will be a social studies teacher and since he is going to have about 32 AP credits in hand, taking education courses AND the major will not be so bad
            The vocational rehab at least here will pay (in his case because of the severity of his injury) the SUNY ( State University of New York) tuition rate @ any SUNY school or pro-rate it @ private school, all room and board, books, fees, tranportation and for an aide.
            Now since they willl also payfor out of state if that state has a program that New york State does not have. So we found out that the University of Illinois@ Urbana ( the flagship) has an great program for students that are severly disabled require ADL's / w/c they actually have students and staff on campus in a special dorm that provide soup to nuts care for people like my son. plus they have everything right there (PT/OT, SCI Physicians, and also they will teach my son how to self advocate for himself!! ( The best thing the vocab rehab will pick it up
            Anyway your daughter sounds like she is going places and like my son they both are going to reach for the stars and grab a few !! If you have any questions about college apllications let me drop me a line !!

            Joe
            Joe,

            Great to hear how well your son is doing. Man, he's really exceling nicely. Thanks for sharing your experiences and wisdom.

            If I get too confused I let you know.
            Rick

            GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

            Comment


              #21
              Rick,
              As a current college student and one that has been in college for way to long. I would suggest that your daughter let them know of her needs prior to her arrival for her visit day. And as many people ;have suggested, request to speak to the disability services on the campus. Your daughter seems very smart so don't count Princeton out, lol. That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be up front. Honesty is the best policy. Her grades speak for themselves. Good luck to her and to you.

              Becky,
              Chicago
              T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
              since 1/3/04

              I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by rickhemi
                Randolph Macon (her intial 1st choice) sends her something every week and this is the school we'll see next month. But William and Mary is a 'designated' handicaped friendly institution in our state, so she'll likely apply there as well.

                When she was younger, she wanted to go to Liberty U in Lynchburg, but this schools is in the mountains and she feels the terrain would be an additional burden.

                I agree that she'll do well wherever, just trying to gain any insight I can.

                Thanks again.
                I agree w/ SCI nurse about not submitting articles in application packet but discussing in application if she is so inclined.

                If you are a Viriginia resident you can get the most financial & other assistance from Virginia department of rehabilitative services (DRS) by going to a State school, such as W&M.

                I went to William and Mary in the early 80's and it was good experience, the access has improved quite a bit over the years also.

                Your daughter sounds like a good kid, I'm sure wherever she chooses it will be a great experience.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Update

                  Hi folks,

                  Boy, a lot can change in a few months.

                  We've visited 2 campus's (Randolph Macon & Edinboro Univ. of PA). Sarah liked the compact/flat campus at RMC, but hated the freshman dorm situation and it didn't have the academics she's now looking for (arch. engineering). Edinboro was even better, most accessible school on east coast (according to New Mobility mag), but again didn't have the major she's looking for. The admissions counselor told her she would be accepted on the spot, due to her scores being higher than their average students.

                  She's now thinking about VA Tech, but will probably need to retake the SAT and also take the math subject test and one other. She was a little disappointed in her first try (1080 and a 610 in creative writing). It's still an above avg score, but barely. But her GPA is currently 3.83, which is pretty strong.

                  I've heard the campus at VT is a bit hilly, but the website does say they have accessible housing.

                  Any other engineering colleges we should be looking at?? Please let us know.
                  Rick

                  GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by rickhemi
                    Any other engineering colleges we should be looking at?? Please let us know.
                    Old Dominion University may be worth looking into... They have always had a strong engineering program. In the last decade the city and university have implemented extensive plan to transform the university campus. It's nice.

                    Virginia state school w/ moderate climate and flat terrain.

                    engineering school : http://eng.odu.edu/

                    good luck

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by ChesBay
                      Old Dominion University may be worth looking into... They have always had a strong engineering program. In the last decade the city and university have implemented extensive plan to transform the university campus. It's nice.

                      Virginia state school w/ moderate climate and flat terrain.

                      engineering school : http://eng.odu.edu/

                      good luck
                      I checked out their site and architectural engineering is not offered there.

                      Got any others?
                      Rick

                      GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        rick, is she only interested in east cioast colleges?

                        I ask because the U of I in Champaign, Illinois has one of the most accessible campuses, plus it has a pretty good engineering program.
                        Chicago also has notable architectural programs, incl. IIT and their College of Architecture
                        • IIT Research Institute has several locations throughout the United States, and the university has four campuses in the Chicago area. The 120-acre Main Campus, at 33rd and State in Chicago, as well as many of its buildings, was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the architecture program at IIT from 1938 to 1958 and was one of the 20th century's most influential architects. In 1976, the American Institute of Architects recognized the campus as one of the 200 most significant works of architecture in the U.S.

                          The Institute of Design
                          , an international leader in teaching systemic, human-centered design, is located at 350 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago's Near North neighborhood.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by chick
                          rick, is she only interested in east cioast colleges?

                          I ask because the U of I in Champaign, Illinois has one of the most accessible campuses, plus it has a pretty good engineering program.
                          Chicago also has notable architectural programs, incl. IIT and their College of Architecture
                          • IIT Research Institute has several locations throughout the United States, and the university has four campuses in the Chicago area. The 120-acre Main Campus, at 33rd and State in Chicago, as well as many of its buildings, was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the architecture program at IIT from 1938 to 1958 and was one of the 20th century's most influential architects. In 1976, the American Institute of Architects recognized the campus as one of the 200 most significant works of architecture in the U.S., the Master of Public Administration Program, and the Stuart School of Business.

                            The Institute of Design
                            , an international leader in teaching systemic, human-centered design, is located at 350 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago's Near North neighborhood.
                          Well, perhaps not, I mean, we just drove 450 miles (one way) to get to Edinboro last week.

                          I'll get some info on it and share it with her. Ideally she'd like to be closer to home, but the right university will probably be the final deciding factor.

                          Thanks Chick. I value your input.
                          Rick

                          GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            HI,

                            My son is a ASIA A C5 and we live in New York. He is going to attend the University of Illinopis @ Urbana for this Fall 2008. As a matter of fact he is going to summer orientation next week. Anyway, THe U of I has one of the best engeneering schools in the country and it has your daughter's major.

                            As per the earlier poster, it has the best disability program in the country and a brand new college of engineering buildings. The campus is flat as a pancake, has impressive disbility support. My wife and I would of never dreamed of sending my ASIA A C5 son 800 miles way if we did not feel comfortable with the accomdations they have there.
                            The admission process is competetive, but it is heavily based on class rank and SAT scores. She needs to get her scores up a bit, but my son had to do it also. I just know the U of I blew Edinboro away in all aspects.I was very involved in his admission process and became very much an "expert" I think I knew more than his guidance counslers ( I know I think that way) I now have all this knowledge and no where to use it, so if you have any questiions on the admission process, schools, which ones to apply to, etc. or how to write an essay for admission or scholarships , let me know. My son recieved 7 merit scholarships based on academics and how we answered the essays.
                            Tips to raise SAT scores. Buy the "Blue Book" SAT review book, do all the tests of the math, and critical reading and review what she got wrong. have her practice outlining and writing a short timed essays on topics gleaned from the news. Get a private tutor, preferbly one of her math teachers or teachers who know the "tricks" on how to answer the math. The best thing my son's tutor said that the Math section is really an English section, because reading the math question and understanding what the question is askingwill determine how to answer it. This is the key.
                            My son who is not interested in math raised his math score over 100 points just by this method. He raised his critical reading by 50 points just by taking his time and using the blue book and reviewing every word he did not know. The essay part is hit or miss. His scored a 680 on his first one because the topic was debating if somthing good could happen out of somthing that is bad and vice versa. He used his injury and believe or not Hilter(because the german economy improved directly from his reign before World War II go figure.) The next one he scored only a 590 becaust it asked about whether celebities have a moral obligation to help society. He could not care less about that topic. Don't forget almost all the schools "supersore the SAT scores, meaning they will take the best of any section and combine them into one score. Also have her take the ACT.. some students do better on it and some do better on the SAT.


                            l
                            Last edited by okwjoe; 7 Jun 2008, 3:09 AM.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              *shrug*

                              well... I'm currently looking @ grad schools. This time around (vs. undergrad) I'm meeting with department heads in-person prior to even applying. It has been nothing but positive so far, aside from current fuel prices for the out-of-state road trips to different schools.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X