Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earning money during a co-op, will it affect SSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earning money during a co-op, will it affect SSD?

Hello everyone!

Well I got the offical offer letter and I found out IBM is paying their co-ops quite nicely 19.75 an hour! This brings up a question I had, i'm receiving SSD, not SSDI, because I ddin't work enough to pay into SSDI to get it because I was injuried at 19.

I heard there is a special case if your internshiping/co-oping where they let you keep your SSD as well as get income. Anyone else know how this works or have had a simular situation?

Thanks!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I think it depends how old you are. I had a similar situation, but I was young enough & the pay was low enough that it didn't affect my checks.

Earning money wasn't an issue until I went to grad school, at which point my checks were cut. I think there is a yearly cap, which if you can stay under, you won't lose any money.

My SSD checks are long gone, but I am out of the SSD system and doing well for a grad student.

At the worst document everything! When my checks started to get cut it took us forever to get things straightened out. It took them forever to start sutting the checks, then they decided they owed me money, then I owed them... etc... it was a headache to get it straightened out.

so, document everything you buy that is a necesssity, food, clothes, ANY medical related item, co-pays, housing, transportation, personal assistants... this will help you after the fact. Also, make copies of every form you submit to them. They must have lost my forms several times & accused me of not turning them.

Perhaps you could contract with IBM in a different manner if the income is going to hurt you. Perhaps they could take care of your expenses rather than paying you direct?

Good luck! It can be a tough thing to navigate, but it seems you are well on your way to getting off the SSD payroll.

I'll ask my mom, I know she remembers that stuff far better than i do.

Comment

Cory you need to look into the Pass program and set up a pass so the income wont effect your SSI.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi...ch/wi/pass.htm

I did this while I was in community college. The Pass people really help you.
      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee
        Hello everyone!

Well I got the offical offer letter and I found out IBM is paying their co-ops quite nicely 19.75 an hour! This brings up a question I had, i'm receiving SSD, not SSDI, because I ddin't work enough to pay into SSDI to get it because I was injuried at 19.

I heard there is a special case if your internshiping/co-oping where they let you keep your SSD as well as get income. Anyone else know how this works or have had a simular situation?

Thanks!
        SSA has assigned you a ticket under Ticket to Work legislation that allows you to earn approx $20k yr w/o losing Medicaid. Talk to your vocational rehabilitation counselor or have SSA rep give you list of vendors that will take your ticket. Work and have money or not work and spend the rest of your life in poverty. Good luck,you will do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 611
          SSA has assigned you a ticket under Ticket to Work legislation that allows you to earn approx $20k yr w/o losing Medicaid. Talk to your vocational rehabilitation counselor or have SSA rep give you list of vendors that will take your ticket. Work and have money or not work and spend the rest of your life in poverty. Good luck,you will do fine.
          Cory is still in college and this is just a summer internship with IBM not a full time job so the ticket to work wont apply here.
          Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 25 Mar 2007, 11:19 AM.
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Call Social Security Administration office near by.

You may want to telephone your local Social Security office. Your income and full-time employment even though it is a co-op/intern position will effect your 9 months of employment trail period that Social Security gives you. If you only work 3 months that is subtracted from your 9 months of trial employment. You may want to weigh the pros and cons of this?

There is a cap on the amount of income you can earn and still get SSD. Being paid $19.75 is very good for starting and one month pay is $3160 ($19.75/hr x 40hrs/wk x 4wks) it may affect your Social Security benefits. Since this employment will be taxed Social Security will get a record of this.

I know when I was finishing college I was offered a position for employment but I turned it down for the fact that it will effect your 9 months trail period and benefits and I was not done with college. At that time you were only allowed to make $200 per month but that has changed since then. I waited until I graduated and had time to job hunt before my 9 months of trail period started and still receiving SSD income while job searching.

Once you do start full time employment and you make $10,000 a month and you know you will be leaving Social Security you will still receive Social Security Disability check for 9 months.

Contact your Social Security Administration office for the correct details and information.

titanium4motion

Last edited by titanium4motion; 26 Mar 2007, 9:03 PM. Reason: $6320 to $3160 with formula
            "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Yah I didn't plan on saying on disability I didn't want to loose it though because this job is only temporarly for the summer and fall and during the SPring i'll be back at school unemployed so I depened on the 600 a month i get from ssi to pay or housing.
              Injured:10-16-04
              C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
              Blog:
              http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
              Facebook:
              http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
              Progress:
              http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
              My drawings:
              http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy
                Cory is still in college and this is just a summer internship with IBM not a full time job so the ticket to work wont apply here.
                You're right Daisey,I screwed up. Thought it was a permanent job.

Comment

If this is a full time job for summer and fall @ 19.75 per hour that adds up to a whole lot more money than the $600 per month of SSI. How much more college do you have left? Perhaps if you do the math and put away some of your earnings, you will be better off to take the job even if it affects your SSI. Unless, it would make you lose medicaid. Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by t4m
                    There is a cap on the amount of income you can earn and still get SSD. Being paid $19.75 is very good for starting and one month pay is $6320 it may affect your Social Security benefits. Since this employment will be taxed Social Security will get a record of this.

t4m, how did you come up with the $6320 for one month? $19.75 * 8 hrs per day * 22 work days per month = $3476

Cory-t4m is right that your employment will be taxed though. Figure things out with your social security before coming up.
                    Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
                      t4m, how did you come up with the $6320 for one month? $19.75 * 8 hrs per day * 22 work days per month = $3476

Cory-t4m is right that your employment will be taxed though. Figure things out with your social security before coming up.
                      Dan you are right. Divide $6320 by half and you get 160 hours, 4 weeks or 20 days, at 40 hours per week or one month. One month's pay would be $3160. I wrote down some figures and grabbed two months of work or 320 hours.

I'll correct it above if I can still edit it.

Thanks!

titanium4motion
                      "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

Contact your VR counselor. They can write a pass plan for you as well as hook you up for Ticket to Work. TTW will apply f your course work is completed at the end of your field study.This will extend your trial work period if you qualify. Expenses like relocation, assistance, paying for a modified vehicle, anything necessary to assist you in working will be deducted.

Call now. If you don't get satisfaction with the VR counselor, talk to their supervisor. One day soon you will be the golden feather in their cap.

It may seem scarey, but don't forfet suh a great opportunity because you are afraid you will loose your benifits. As an incomplete para, you should be able to successfully work. This position shows you know your stuff, interview well and can succeed in the competitive work force.

Do you have to pay tuition while you are doing your internship? If so, that comes off the PASS plan. Get going now because it has to be approved before you start the job.

PM me if you have questions.
                        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Working...
                        X