Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alhavel
    Jen,
    I think I'll stick to self-employment, and droping the knife off the counter, into my very soft boned feet, I couldn't drink milk as a child, maybe it did alot to save me, as none of my neck, or back completly broke, or caused splinters into my spine, despite having a building fall on top of me !!!!!!!!
    AL~
    Not sure where we'd put the milk drinking strategy, maybe SCI prevention?

I agree that self-employment is often the best choice especially for people with unconventional lives. However, at least in my experience, newly injured people are directed to VR for help/retraining to get back to work. VR frowns on self-employment, at least here, I know it varies from state-to-state.

Here I often feel like it's a Ponzi scheme. I can easily get a job finding jobs for people with disablities. But getting out into the AB workforce seems out of the box down at VR. I've got tons of first-hand stories of people who found great job opportunities that would allow them to earn $75-$125K and they were actively discouraged by their VR councilors.

Personally, when I presented my own plan for restructuring my work to take advantage of my previous experience, I had buy in -- right up until they learned what I expected my hourly rate to be. "No one can earn $100 per hour." Even when I proved that I had earned even more than that AB and it complied with going market value, they suggested that I keep everything else the same but set my rate at a more reasonable $15 hour. I've had to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to meet my needs sans VR.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

The 15 years prior to my accident I was employed by a large printing company, and did all the plant moves and installations of equipment, as well as moving everything from garbage cans to 100 foot long printing presses. I was lucky enough to be on COBRA when I got hurt returning to something I had done for many years, and closer to home. Fortunatly none of those talents, all of them have gone to waste. I am very lucky to be alive, and doing some work, slowly returning to what I can only hope may be a full recovery one day. The forum is a great idea, and I hadn't noticed that there really wasn't one yet. Sometimes I forget the gifts that I have and have acquired, my will and determination to go ahead has never stopped. I like to encourage others to do as much as they can, I often take big risks, not something I would like to see others try. It does work for me, I'm 47, and not stopping for many years to come, hopefuly something can be done to return us all to where we once were. Never say never, my father is 76, still going strong, working, and encouraging me, when he's not driving me up a wall, He still thinks I am the person I was, he won't give up on me, it's been great. I put in a full day today, again, I'm slowly getting better. Got to keep on trying.

Comment

Originally posted by jenlongdon
        Lief,

I think we're looking a whole continuum of issues from education to landing a job to keeping a job to managing the effects the job has on your health, wealth, benefits, etc. You hit the biggies on the education front. Do you have similar SSI/SSDI issues in Norway? Here the intracacies of these programs are maddening. and designed to keep you poor and dependent on the system ---oh IMHO
        No no, not so, I agree completely with you as for a forum, your bullet items etc. But I’ve not hit any big, just was lucky the SCI struck me at an old age. That’s me. I hope this will not be about such issues, cause I will float as such with problems and with minor economical problems, still when it comes to economy we all had our dreams on what we wanted to do, these days are gone, I wanted five castles in Italy and in Spain and accepted it gone, but living, old and living, old with some edu, still the idea of a edu forum was a good thing I thought, silly me.

Point is, why not accumulate all know how from SCI’d ppl in a forum when it comes to ways of education, how to do it and job opportunities? Likes I wrote above, such a forum should have been here long time ago, maybe?

Noting as vs US or Norway either as for systems. Systems not good enough will not help ppl wherever we live. The ones that can might help, maybe an edu forum?

Edit;
        But as for similar to SSI/SSDI I am partly on it, my money invested throughout life, I’ve paid a lot into it, so why not having some in return, like a saving in a bank you see, still we’re a bit capitalistic and get some income from what we’ve saved outside the bank, but then again, I’m to old to understand all this.
        Last edited by Leif; 3 Mar 2007, 7:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenlongdon
          Lief,

I think we're looking a whole continuum of issues from education to landing a job to keeping a job to managing the effects the job has on your health, wealth, benefits, etc. You hit the biggies on the education front. Do you have similar SSI/SSDI issues in Norway? Here the intracacies of these programs are maddening. and designed to keep you poor and dependent on the system ---oh IMHO
          The biggest problem in Norway is that nobody wants to give a wheel chair user a job. They prefer to give the jobs to the AB. So even if you have a good education and are a good worker, they just don't want. Another thing is that most of the jobs are in buildings that are not accessible and without a HC bathroom. I have an education like a doctor's secretary and I can't get a job because of the lack of accessibility of the three big hospitals in Oslo and the offices of the primary doctors.

And if I was very lucky and got a job, I loose 4000 N.kr, that is about $700 every month and I can't afford to loose that money. I need to pay my rent, food and other bills. So you can say the rules of the law is maddening here too
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe
            The biggest problem in Norway is that nobody wants to give a wheel chair user a job.
            Well, then, how come Telenor and others while they have searched for handicapped employees can’t find any although everything there in Oslo and surrounded areas could be workable as for their business say no? Is the question not willing to take edu or on the other hand not to adapt while all the opportunities at Telenor is pffed at in Oslo? You could have been their CEO by now wfe.
            Last edited by Leif; 3 Mar 2007, 7:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
              Well, then, how come Telenor and others while they have searched for handicapped employees can’t find any although everything there in Oslo and surrounded areas could be workable as for their business say no? Is the question not willing to take edu or on the other hand not to adapt while all the opportunities at Telenor is pffed at in Oslo? You could have been their CEO by now women.

I have been at Telenor together with the 17 others from the FIA project last year. They did not want any of us. They want only young people without children and full time workers. I am not young, I have children and I only want to work 50%. Nobody at that project got a job and we were working on it 40 weeks. Funny thing, now they are trying to explain the reason to the politicans. I have told you before what they said about me LOL, I don't know if I should laugh or be angry so I prefer to laugh.
              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I have been at Telenor together with the 17 others from the FIA project last year. They did not want any of us. They want only young people without children and full time workers. I am not young, I have children and I only want to work 50%. Nobody at that project got a job and we were working on it 40 weeks. Funny thing, now they are trying to explain the reason to the politicans. I have told you before what they said about me LOL, I don't know if I should laugh or be angry so I prefer to laugh.
                Bite my finger, damn. But sincerely, if you think about it, I think you could have been a good CEO, I sincerely mean it, and then how would you have done it if so? What would the edu and trainee programs have been? How would you have changed the errors you highlight? What would you have done different, if so? (this in a edu forum?)

Comment

It's starting to sound like we've started a forum,,,,,,,,,, Disabilitiy is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

What is a SCI disability? This day I welded a complete front of a super tankers bridge, not tired at all, not at all.

Comment

I applied for a job at our local social security office in 1997. I was told I had the job that I just had to go through an interview for the sake of an interview because the position had to be filled by someone disabled. Guess what???? I didnt get the job!!!! You know why???? Because I answered on one of the questions that I liked to complete projects as quickly and as efficiently as possible while following policies and procedures. I also stated that unfinished projects on my desk bothered me. I listed one of my strengths as Perseverance and ability to work independently.

I was told by the close friend/mentor(that got me the interview) that the unfinished projects comment was what lost me the job. The director of the social security office kind of laughed and said that "nothing gets finished" here and that might end up causing me undue stress.

I couldnt prove anything but my interview at the SS office was on a saturday and I signed up for direct deposit with my bank account and the whole nine yards....as well as my tax paperwork that day. Normally if you dont have a job they dont fill out tax paperwork. I was called on Monday and told that funding for the position had been cut.....

Now why would the government not want things done quickly and efficiently???? Hmmmmm
                      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Leif, I can't explain that in English.

But I am looking foreward to the day the Parliament is putting us in the discrimination law. As long as we don't have any rights and it is allowed to discriminate the disable people, we can't do anything.

And I will be close to retirement the day they are expecting the buildings and transport to be accessible in 2019.

And in a way it is funny that I am the one who is screeming for accessibility in Oslo, I feel like I am knocking my head in the wall, I should have used all that energy for your stem cells instead. But the lack of accessibility is making me more angry because I feel it is stopping me living my life the way I want.
                        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Leif,

You weld? I built 4 steel boats and 30-40 wooden boats. I used to do fitting and machine work. Built alot of Commercial fishing gear too. My father and I have a Lobster boat he built when I was 6 years old in the driveway, it was a great jungle gym, all 45 feet of it. He's waiting for me to take it over. repowered 4 times, the last time was after my accident. He has so much faith in me. If I don't succeed, he is libal to cut me off !!!! The last thing I need is for him to see me laying down, when the ambulance passed the fish wholsaler, he was there watching the ambulance go by, he never knew I was in it, or how bad it was, until a few hours later.

Still weld, and mechanical work here, all day, today. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Daisy,
                            SS Office? Now that's why I only deal with them over the phone. Do you know their automated telephone attendant can't understand cursing? I do, somethings just weren't meant to be. Efficiancy in a gov't job is not a good thing, I have a brother and sister inlaw affiliated with the defense industry.

Comment

Leif, I can't explain that in English.

But I am looking foreward to the day the Parliament is putting us in the discrimination law. As long as we don't have any rights and it is allowed to discriminate the disable people, we can't do anything.
                              I’m not saying you oppose, but I think it is not fair to say we or some don’t have any rights. The National handicap organisation maybe say so (if not they would be without a job themselves), they have chimed that bell for so long, ding dong.
                              Last edited by Leif; 3 Mar 2007, 9:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alhavel
                                Leif,

You weld? I built 4 steel boats and 30-40 wooden boats. I used to do fitting and machine work. Built alot of Commercial fishing gear too. My father and I have a Lobster boat he built when I was 6 years old in the driveway, it was a great jungle gym, all 45 feet of it. He's waiting for me to take it over. repowered 4 times, the last time was after my accident. He has so much faith in me. If I don't succeed, he is libal to cut me off !!!! The last thing I need is for him to see me laying down, when the ambulance passed the fish wholsaler, he was there watching the ambulance go by, he never knew I was in it, or how bad it was, until a few hours later.

Still weld, and mechanical work here, all day, today. Nice to know I'm not alone.
                                Al’ that is some welding and building, man. I have don a few of those fillet welds etc. in my life, other things too, always been into mechanics, still, this was not supposed to be a discuss we can do, moreover for others if they want to do, younger SCI’d especially I feel. Like I said, I’m doomed and more or less gone, meaning I will not be a part in this other to chime in every now and then. But will never give up thoug for a good discuss when it comes to some stuff to be made lol

Comment

Working...
                                X