Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al, sorry you are ouching but if the circus keeps making you stronger and you made it through most of the day with just aspirin...kudos. Floor boards for a 'fish' market? sweet!
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

What's ivolved in the creation of a new forum at CC? Mods and Wise getting together to discuss?

Comment

Yep, Wise gives approval, it has to be named and given a "headline", moderation decisions made, Jeff does some sort of computer magic, and voila.

LOL, it takes forever!
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

T,
          Kind of like floor boards in a meat store, you can pick them up, if you're strong and wash off the tile floor underneath. Nothing but bad dreams and pain last night, now, plenty of rain here. That only degrades the situation I'm in, I knew it would be a couple of days. Maybe I can change the way I voted, and say that I'm lazy and don't want to go back to work, looks good from where I am today !!!! The 2 140 lb dogs think so, they don't want to move and they did NOTHING !!!!

Comment

Obie, something you said really hit home with me. Chad worked full time for 8 years as a computer programmer. Using a mouthstick. He is paralyzed completely from the neck down. Every damn day for 8 years, he worked. 8 am to 4:30 pm. His half hour lunch break was spent cathing and eating as quickly as possible. He had an attendant that got him up, fed him, showered him, drove him to work. He got up at 5:45 am to be there by 8 am. Then by the time he was home at 5 pm, it was lots more personal care, including eating, etc. Then he was usually off to a hockey game (tickets that were purchased from the income he earned, the van he rode there in purchased from the income he earned, leaving from the house his income, etc, etc), or socialize or would hang out on the computer. Say, yahoo personal ads. Where he met alot of riff-raff and eventually married her.

Chad's health, as most know here, has really sucked the last 2 years and he was ultimately forced to go onto long term disability as a result. And I say forced because I forced him to. He was actually having to PAY back his employer for all of his missed days because he was out of vacation, out of unpaid FLMA, out of everything. Between that and paying out of pocket by then (due to my income adding in as a married couple), he LOST over $1000 a month BY WORKING!! Not mention, he physically could not hack it.

His self worth plummeted. His self esteem, honestly, has yet to fully recover. He is a southerner, and steeped in the tradition that a man takes care of his wife and if not completely, at least contributes. And I keep asking him why he doesn't consider what he contributes to the family in ways other than monetary. But he just can't wrap his head around that, he feels guilty, feels like he should "work".

But not all work is paid. Its like the working outside the home vs. stay at home mom bullshit that women argue about. It sounds to me like Tiger has an extreme case of "I'm a working mom" and thus better than you lazy ass stay at home moms who don't actually work because you don't get a paycheck. And statements like hers absolute pound the crap out of disabled people who want to work but can't. For 100 different reasons.

So that's the impression of THIS particularly vocal member who has a lazy doesn't want to work husband.
            Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Where are these spammers coming from? Ugh. How annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by alhavel
                T,
                Kind of like floor boards in a meat store, you can pick them up, if you're strong and wash off the tile floor underneath. Nothing but bad dreams and pain last night, now, plenty of rain here. That only degrades the situation I'm in, I knew it would be a couple of days. Maybe I can change the way I voted, and say that I'm lazy and don't want to go back to work, looks good from where I am today !!!! The 2 140 lb dogs think so, they don't want to move and they did NOTHING !!!!

give yourself those couple days... hate bad dreams love dogs!

I'm thinking I'd better bug Jeff to fix my "chat" connection again, catch you there to continue conversation k? I will let you know when it works or you can pm me otherwise.
                "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                  Where are these spammers coming from? Ugh. How annoying.
                  Oops. At least them spammers made a new forum

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
                    Oops. At least them spammers made a new forum
                    Hooray! The spammer's post was deleted.

Now. Still waiting to hear if a new forum will be created ...

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                      Hooray! The spammer's post was deleted.

Now. Still waiting to hear if a new forum will be created ...
                      Lol. But as for such a forum LaMem, what would and could be the main bullet items for such a forum? A few items don’t need many, but maybe along these lines, what you think?
                      • Info about education possibilities and the possibilities with experiences from others
                      • Programs to achieve it? State or other programs. And where to get the knowledge from such programs if programs are needed outside regular educational programs to achieve a base of edu to join the work force.
                      • Which jobs to get most income fastest based upon education as for being able to earn enough money and to prosper? This inline of what one want to do.
                      • Info about educational and support programs available at a given time?
                      I write it like this cause as SCI it is not to just get an education for youngsters or others to get a job and then take off, only for wannabe AB’s it is maybe.

If you should highlight likewise a few bullet items, what would they be La’Mem? Maybe other also can chime in? Just a few ideas from me here, also doubt I will chime in to much in such a forums, see where all this educational stuff landed me, huh

A very good idea though for a forum I think. Edu and info is mandatory, and if some are not able to work from such a forum I am quite sure it will be a good forum. Cause, the very important thing is that many of us can’t work regular jobs, thereby it has to be taken from there and moved further, sort of, well I mean, one has to go gentle in each step as for advises and so on given thath many and most ppl here has SCI and thereby has put us/I outside the workforce from start of. A good idea, still, if done right.

And hopefully crappy educational and crappy job advices will be censored and banned I hope (not meaning you, meaning en large)
                      Last edited by Leif; 3 Mar 2007, 6:00 PM.

Comment

Leif,

I like your bullets but I would add:
                        • The ins and outs of working with VR
                        • Understanding how SSI/SSDI benefits are affected by working
                        • Stopgaps for same
                        • How to accrue assets (home/car/savings/investments) without impacting your benefits.
                        • How to manage your health issues with your employer
                        • When and how to discuss your needs related to your disability with your employer
                        • Self-employment (frowned on by VR) vs working for "the man"
                        • SBA and people with disabilities
                        Who's next?
                        My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Jen,
                          I think I'll stick to self-employment, and droping the knife off the counter, into my very soft boned feet, I couldn't drink milk as a child, maybe it did alot to save me, as none of my neck, or back completly broke, or caused splinters into my spine, despite having a building fall on top of me !!!!!!!!

Comment

Splendid jenlogdon, SSI/SSDI etc. should be included of course, very important, just wrote it a bit different, good job by highlighting such important programs (in fact, maybe such a edu/work forum also should include those abbreviations in the heading of such a forum?). Good items, this could in fact help adm and mods to do their streamlining of such a forum. Great ideas, I punch out here now cause you had much better ideas, next, as you say? Good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by alhavel
                              Jen,
                              I think I'll stick to self-employment, and droping the knife off the counter, into my very soft boned feet, I couldn't drink milk as a child, maybe it did alot to save me, as none of my neck, or back completly broke, or caused splinters into my spine, despite having a building fall on top of me !!!!!!!!
                              Al’
                              I don’t think such a forum will be a forum to get the most from gov, cause then what’s the point of such a forum as such? If I was asked I would have liked to se a forum discussing self employments, gov and other factors, all this in a melting pot where more grownups like me and for example you could have helped others, altough small input from me I think you can give a lot of good advices, right. I think you can agree on that. As for me, I’m doomed.

Al' you think such a forum is not a good thing, or (I probably misunderstood, hopefully)?
                              Last edited by Leif; 3 Mar 2007, 6:26 PM.

Comment

Lief,

I think we're looking a whole continuum of issues from education to landing a job to keeping a job to managing the effects the job has on your health, wealth, benefits, etc. You hit the biggies on the education front. Do you have similar SSI/SSDI issues in Norway? Here the intracacies of these programs are maddening. and designed to keep you poor and dependent on the system ---oh IMHO
                                My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X