Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by addiesue
    It's no point arguing she knows all. I normally don't post against anyone or say anything negative but for once I've read enough. Back to topic please.
    Well said addiesue..

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing
      That's not the impression I get.

C.

... why, why, why even write, let alone think as such? sigh.

I don't know you, didn't realize you raced, am a bit envious but happy for you if you have supportive family in ways of finances as well emotional support, finding your way in life with sci...

By writing as I am going to here, let me say first I am not looking to have a pity party. Rather to allow you to see one person(s) very personal side when it comes to the differences of- when it comes to the choices, the sacrifices- I have(d) and make(made)- financially, emotionally, etc.- out of love, trust and faith...and of course hope.

My son wanted to pursue his career for a job he loves a couple years before it finally came together that he could...not because we didn't believe he could do it... so why? Because between me, his step dad, his real father, family and the system itself/his V/R counselor, etc. etc... well not a one of us could get our shit together, personally or professionally. Between broken promises made throughout the years with his dads, the resentment of one and the procrastiation of the other, it was all I could do to try to keep my sanity with them being an important part of my son's life- he loves them...
      Anyhow, there we were, the kid and I, the only ones who dared, who knew, who believed he could do the mechanic work he dreamed of and would someday have his own specialty business.

Long story as short as I can make it---throughout the first years trusting family to come through with at the least yet most emotional support with our efforts in readying for/his attendance at a school just an hour away, and the local V/R helping us figure it out...well...what a waste of time.

Then an offer/opportunity came for a job south in another state for me and the thought of one of the leading technical schools being within the state...my marriage deteriorating rapidly, I thought what the hell... I am going for it! Maybe there, we can try again all around, for the kid, with my marriage, etc. I found renewed hope in starting over. We went literally on a wing and prayer. There was just enough money to move, pay rent and start over by selling our home.

But what a trusting, optimistic fool I can be, , the "job" promising an eventual liveable income added to my husbands, offering me connections in areas of research for my kid and helping others, well, let's just say it wasn't as professionally set up as needed. (Although, gratefully, I did make research connections/friends I'd hoped for... hello all! and tried to help others.)
      Yet somehow in the midst of chaos and now being in unfamiliar big city, state surroundings ad a whole different "system" my son and I managed to eventually find a V/R counselor who believed in him and he enrolled in the technical school of his dreams. Fast forward to my hub telling me he was going home with or without me... well we packed up, the kid having to move back temporarily while we prayed V/R would come through with a manual standing chair awaiting his return in a few months. So I did what I could from Mn. at least knowing where we needed to find housing and when... taking it one day at a time.

What a nightmare I returned to, those three months with all the old stress/relationship problems coming back to haunt me full force...and it should've been no surprise when the ex, his family backed out at the last minute helping financially to get the kid back south, somehow forgetting promises made when the kid was first injured and thereafter with the first attempt falling through...but somehow between my one sis who has always been with us heart and soul, with what the kid and I had borrowed/put away- barely enough to get there and praying there would be enough for renting a house we had less than two weeks to find/let alone qualify for- my son, his two friends/roomies and I were once again traveling into the unknown on a wing and prayer.

Between motel hell of hookers, drugs, etc. we were stuck in and not daring to even spend a cent on a night out- the hotel charging our room double- we found a rental home half ars accessible. Yaaaa- so I had to try saving money by trying to bleach out a maggot infested refrigerator when the house rental's broke, ewww, not cool- figure something else out and blah, blah, blah.

But guess what?

When the time came for my son and I to say our goodbyes, when my heart literally felt like it broke in a good but when will I see you again way (he could finally be free~)- my son said to me, with tears welling in his eyes, "Thanks ma. I know it hasn't been easy but this is my chance and I'm going to do my best. I'll be okay."

And he has, and he's making things happen, trying so hard to not ask anything from me...

he doesn't know it but I've been living the past couple months in a place without water- I pay very little rent for- (doing so because the owners don't know- as out of gratitude for their helping me so that I am able to help my son and the cost that would be to repair a broken water line mid-winter, I don't want to cost them extra...I will dig up the old farm water line that froze/cracked and replace it in the spring), now I am catching up/paying off bills so I can hopefully get my own place and start over again as my son does all he can to find his way towards his working full time one day.

Sooo, my point of this sharing this with you is, I hope this changes your impression, (no matter the dumbass I've been relationship wise...) assistance and guidance from family, the system and what have you isn't so easy to navigate, nor reliable/accountable and for most us it comes down to sacrificing one thing for another.

edit as somehow when the server went down it didn't take...

In ways, the kid and I had it easier than many do...we had eachother. I could never judge someone who just might not have even one person to guide them, family/system or at a different level of injury with limited independence~

I hope this helps to change impressions...
      Btw, as said I am not looking for a pity party, nor a pat on the back let alone to fight.
      Last edited by teesieme; 1 Mar 2007, 1:20 AM.
      "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

I took this to Moderators to see if their was an interest in the Forum.
        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake
          I took this to Moderators to see if their was an interest in the Forum.
          Yay! Thanks, Cheesecake.

Comment

I think it's a good idea. As a C5/6 quad who works I'm not ashamed to say that there's times I would be very happy not to work and I don't judge anyone who chooses not to. Working with SCI is not easy but I think it's kept me sane and sociable - not to mention solvent.

I was lucky, I returned to a very good job post injury. I'm arrogant enough to believe I would have secured myself a job if I'd had to start again but I would also have sought insight from CC
            C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Btw,

One big reason I even dared, was able to stay strong enough and find my way to help him find his way, was CC. TY!
              "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

I think it is a great idea. I know that I am still trying to get back out there, and dealing with all the issues involved ... pain, medical, accessibility, logistics, etc, etc, sometimes seem insurmountable. Having a forum to get help from others who have successfully managed to do this would be great. I know from many scattered threads we have many members who DO this (cass, titantium4motion, theophania, lynnifer, even tiger .... never mind there are too many to list) as well as many who want to. Members who are not working and aren;t medically or physically capable of working at this point in time are welcome to read or not.

Tiger, you could add so much to this topic if you posted information as to exactly HOW you are able to manage as well as you do, instead of simply implying that you are so much better than everyone else. If that is not what you mean to imply, perhaps you need think before you type, as
                but that is just MY observation of one of our more vocal members.
                T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing

C.
                  You are something else! I am betting that you are even more obnoxious now that you are SCI, because you think that gives you a license to say whatever comes to mind and you also are under the mistaken impression that
                  A: you are always right, and
                  B: that anyone gives a damn what you think!

To everyone else:
                  I just can't keep quiet anymore when I read her mean-spirited, self-righteous posts.

Comment

May I add-teesieme rocks. Why you aren't bitter escapes me, but you are sure a good mom.

(My mom, bro and I spent a winter w/ no water once. It sucked, we lived.)

PS_Cheese, thnks, I think you'd be a great mod for this (hypothetical)forum.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

i want to thank cheesecake for offering to mod. i hope this encourages the formation of this forum along with the overwhelming majority opinion in this thread's poll. ty wheelie for this thread.

i agree with rhino; work has been my salvation. however, it has been 21 yrs (dis and working) for me and it is taking its toll. which, in itself, is a very scary thought for me...what will i do?

anyway, one thing i'd like to say is: it is possible to work and get ssdi. this is due to work related expenses and solely dependent on those expenses offsetting SGA. i have explained this many times, but if there were a work forum, some of these basic facts (and a link to the SSA Redbook for U.S. folks) could be kept as a sticky at the top of the forum. just a thought.

teesie...you are one tough and admirable person!

Comment

Great story Teesieme! Was that Wyo Tech by any chance?

Aww heck, I'll throw my hat into the ring too...make me a mod! I love to have that feeling of omnipotence ruling with an iron fist over my little corner of this board should I be chosen for the position .

All sarcasm aside, I'm serious. I know my last hat toss for mod was denied due to a few somewhat unwholesome posts around here, but every board needs a good pest I think. This is focusing on a topic that is kind a near and dear to me, and I'm a shining example of how rampant agression (uhh, I mean advocating for myself), leads to continued gainful employment. Heck, I know how to work the system too...SSDI can be a windfall profit at times. So what say ye?

Pluuuuueeeezzzzeeee!!!

LOL, but if you need a mod that is a fairly knowledgable of such things, and can be non-sarcastic at times...look no further.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                          Great story Teesieme! Was that Wyo Tech by any chance?

Aww heck, I'll throw my hat into the ring too...make me a mod! I love to have that feeling of omnipotence ruling with an iron fist over my little corner of this board should I be chosen for the position .

All sarcasm aside, I'm serious. I know my last hat toss for mod was denied due to a few somewhat unwholesome posts around here, but every board needs a good pest I think. This is focusing on a topic that is kind a near and dear to me, and I'm a shining example of how rampant agression (uhh, I mean advocating for myself), leads to continued gainful employment. Heck, I know how to work the system too...SSDI can be a windfall profit at times. So what say ye?

Pluuuuueeeezzzzeeee!!!

LOL, but if you need a mod that is a fairly knowledgable of such things, and can be non-sarcastic at times...look no further.
                          Well, if you aren't chosen mod, there's always Mr. Congeniality, eh?

Comment

Roflmao!

Comment

... ... ty.

omg, this would've been my shortest post! Just haaaaad to ruin it, now didn't I?

and of course an edit- nope Andy, ( u r soooo funny btw) although Wyotech was where he had been planning to go prior his getting injured.
                              Last edited by teesieme; 1 Mar 2007, 1:33 AM.

Comment

No problem Tiger mum.

Comment

Working...
                                X