Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bob clark
    If I may be so inquisitive to ask, how are you employed?

B.
    She's only mentioned it a bazillion times.

Being born with a silver spoon in her mouth didn't hurt either.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

I think the forum is a great idea. I've now been employed fror 3 years post injury (I worked pre-injury too) and I know navigating the system's can be tricky and daunting. Especially in states with no Medicaid buy-in option.
      www.facebook.com/hoff_10
      www.twitter.com/hoff10
      www.summitilc.org

Comment

This is a great Idea. I think this will help people who lost their job after SCI.

Comment

I've got to weigh in with the higher ed./ work forum people on this. I got the former but, due to a number of reasons having to do with both life/medical traumas and childhood programing, never "joined the workforce". At 63 I'm wishing I had while I had the chance. I'm ready now but neither the employers nor my body are.
          Creating such a forum would almost automatically "graduate" some of our more experienced members to....ah, forget that.

It's a great idea.
          "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

I think the idea of a work/education forum is a great idea...I belive that there was discussion/request quite a while back about an education forum..I don't know where that went...I would hope that this effort would garner enough interest to support the formation of a forum dedicated to education and employment issues...not to exclude ssi/ssdi...I think that these issues/questions/etc would def be more easily visible and less easily lost if they were in their own forum.
            'Chelle
            L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Comment

Originally posted by KVP612
              'Cause you've got a great bead on how nearly 15,000 registered members feel & act...
              Nope, but I can certainly comment on my observations of the most vocal members.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by hoff_10
                I think the forum is a great idea. I've now been employed fror 3 years post injury (I worked pre-injury too) and I know navigating the system's can be tricky and daunting. Especially in states with no Medicaid buy-in option.
                Do you know where to find a list of which states have this option?
                Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Racing

C.
                  Yeah really, why bother with a work forum, you know all us SCI losers are just a bunch of lazy ass good for nothings. I mean just look at us, just casually sitting there motionless, we're a bunch of real go-getters, eh? I know myself I'd prefer to be getting my $350 a month off of Social Security and buying dog food with my foodstamps, but I am just too lazy and shiftless to bother quitting my job, oh well.

+1 on the werk forum. I'm sure I can suggest ways to dodge responsibility and maximizing the lack of work output, I'm real good at that. Uh oh, I think the boss is coming...time to grab the clipboard and look serious, makes me look real busy!

Comment

Great idea!

I'd like to know the system and how to work it. I've been working and like cass I'm getting tired. I went p/t and now $ is a rarity.

i see some guys set up trusts and foundations etc. I want to be rich too!
                    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

C.

Go ahead. We are all waiting anxiosly for your wisdom.
                      If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by november
                        Do you know where to find a list of which states have this option?
                        http://www.workworld.org/wwwebhelp/medicaid_buy_in.htm

This site has a list but it really needs to be updated as more states in the pending colum have passed a buy-in like Idaho.

You can also learn more about a buy-in at

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/TWWIA/07_BuyIn.asp

and

http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/disab...caidbuy-in.asp
                        www.facebook.com/hoff_10
                        www.twitter.com/hoff10
                        www.summitilc.org

Comment

A work/education forum is a great idea (and maybe the Tiger also could get a decent job then).

Comment

C.
                            Those who are most vocal don't necessarily represent the majority.

As for an education/work forum, I'm all for. Returning to work or school isn't as simple as finding a job or just picking class schedules. There are myriad factors to be considered.

Comment

C.
                              Pride goeth before a fall. I hope you aren't as insufferably SMUG as you seem to be in this thread. Ick.

You seem to imply that the majority of us are welfare-mentality. I guess we were all hoping for SCI so we could collect that big paycheck (and that primo government health insurance) and never have to work for a living.

You were blessed in family resources and injury level.

I'd love to be happy for you. But. You. Seem. So. SMUG.

I'm sorry to go off topic. This thread is important.

P.S. I'd like links to the lazy vocal majority, please.

Like LaMem said, SO many factors. From cathing to adaptations to transportation to insurance to transitioning to schedules to job opportunities. What a wide range of experiences Carecure has to offer. Doctors, lawyers, activists, dispatchers, students, computer programmers. Even race car drivers. (No joggers though! )
                              Last edited by betheny; 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM.
                              Blog:
                              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Yay Betheny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

You Are Sooooooo Right

Comment

Working...
                                X