Quads pay no Property Taxes in Florida!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz
    Good point Norm. I hate to split hairs, but my injury site is C7-T1.

Is the state of Florida like insurance companies saying that if you can hold a ten-pound weight in your hand and raise it over your head, you're not a quad?

What's the terminology that separates an incomplete quad from a para?
    You may have a break at C-7 - T1. But whats the level of your cord damage. I have a break at C-4 to T2. But I'm a C5/6 quad because thats where my cord was damaged.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue
      Are they saying you must be 100% disabled as in you do not work at all? I should be buying a place next year and I'm curious.
      Addiesue, I typed that right off the back of the tax bill. Sounds like you have to be 100 percent disabled according to the guide lines of the social security administration's definition. Whatever the bloody heck it is, they've denied me twice and I've been waiting about a year, so far, for the wonderful court date.

I guess I can't complain too much, I was misdiagnosed the first go around. They said I just had DDD in my lower back at L-4. They kind of missed my broken neck C-4-5-6. Honest mistake. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Norm
        You may have a break at C-7 - T1. But whats the level of your cord damage. I have a break at C-4 to T2. But I'm a C5/6 quad because thats where my cord was damaged.
        No, it was a burst fracture.

I mean, if I have hands, I'm not considered a quad then?

What is Florida's interpretation?
        And the truth shall set you free.

Comment

No your not a quad if your arms & hands are normal.
          "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Comment

Any news in any states in the tax relief direction? I've decided to give it a try to see if I can change the law in PA.

Comment

Any news in other states?

Comment

Still no news on this happening in any other states?

Comment

If you're disabled in Virginia Beach, VA, have less than $500,000 in assets, and earn less than $60,000 year (after a $10k deduction per individual in the household, so up to $100k per year for a family of 4), then you pay no property taxes. The relief is variable, actually, between 60-100% relief depending how close to the cut off you are. It's permanent, too, unlike other similar programs I've read about in other states, where the taxes are just deferred until your death, then owed by your estate upon death, or the sale of the house.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Seeing this thread pop up made me remember something....you guys need to come to Illinois! I filed for the disabled person's exemption, jumped through the hoops of getting a 'super disabled' state ID card to qualify for the exemption (with needed doctor visit to fill in form), filed the paperwork and waited for my property tax relief due to my disability creating severe financial distress.

I was so thankful that this disabled exemption reduced my $6154.05 bill by a whopping $136.74 last year. Someone had an interesting sense of humor with that "exemption", eh?

Comment

That is like a whole month of free cable TV
                      chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Comment

I am glad this thread came up as I moved to fl that is like 2 months salary for me yeah now to get the 2 dr to write the letters

Comment

I'm going to move at some point the Taxes are going to force me out. I will never move back to Florida because of the Hurricanes that I went through. I did notice this in Arizona if I want to go warmer than PA.

Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code R15-4-116: Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Person
                          A. For purposes of the property tax exemption in the Arizona Constitution Article 9, Section 2.2, a person is ?totally and
                          permanently disabled? if the person is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity, for pay or profit, by reason of
                          any physical or mental impairment that is expected to:
                          1. Last for a continuous period of 12 months or more, or
                          2. Result in death within 12 months.
                          B. To qualify for the exemption, a disabled person shall be certified as totally and permanently disabled by a person licensed
                          under:
                          1. A.R.S. Title 32, Chapter 8, 13, 14, 17, 19.1, or 29; or
                          2. The laws of another state that are comparable to the laws governing persons qualifying under subsection (B)(1).
                          MEDICAL CERTIFICATION FOR TOTALLY AND PERMANENTLY DISABLED PERSONS
                          THE FOLLOWING IS TO BE COMPLETED BY THE EXAMINING PHYSICIAN OR PSYCHIATRIST:

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                            If you're disabled in Virginia Beach, VA, have less than $500,000 in assets, and earn less than $60,000 year (after a $10k deduction per individual in the household, so up to $100k per year for a family of 4), then you pay no property taxes. The relief is variable, actually, between 60-100% relief depending how close to the cut off you are. It's permanent, too, unlike other similar programs I've read about in other states, where the taxes are just deferred until your death, then owed by your estate upon death, or the sale of the house.
                            We have similar here in Norfolk Oddity. Seems like a very fair program, a lot of older folks and disabled get hit hard when income is fixed and taxes go up over the years. We are not as affluent as our sister City Va Ba so the numbers are a little different but I think it is a very fair program.

I have never researched fully but I have assumed our programs are implemented and administered by the localities rather than the State.

Comment

Working...
                            X