Car Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance

I can't find anybody in Pennsylvania to insure my hand controls. Any Ideas?
    jbs

are you saying you can't get insurance on the van because it has hand controls? I've had controls on the last six or seven vehicles and noone has ever asked about it and I didn't tell them.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe the OP is talking about their inability to get coverage for his vehicle modifications, such as hand controls, ramps/lifts, specialized steering, and other mods. This is unfortunately fairly common in the car insurance industry. Access to such coverage will also vary by state. (KLD)

I suggest using any of the national chains of car insurance. I've had both Geico and Erie for auto insurance since being in the chair. I will tell you that trying to buy insurance online will not work if you want coverage for your accessibility equipment. You'll have to call and tell them you have a modified vehicle. I've had two Subaru Outbacks with hand controls and two converted ramp vans in the past 10 years. Each time they start with the rate of the unmodified car and then add a level of coverage equal to the cost of the modification. My current modified Sienna was $87k, so they covered $50k as a standard top end Toyota sienna, then added $37k of coverage for "modifications". To my insurance companies they didn't care that it was handicapped modification as opposed to making crazy performance modifications or something like that.
    The policy is expensive, but it is worth it in case I get in a wreck.

Comment

Working...
    X