Life Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Insurance

Is it still difficult for us with sci to get life insurance, or have things improved? I want to get a policy to pay off a mortgage in the event of my demise. A few years ago I spoke with an agent about this and the person never returned my call. What has been your experience?

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to get a personal life insurance policy for anyone with a spinal cord injury or any other chronic disease or disability. I got turned down for having an essential tremor, which is much less disabling and has no impact on life expectancy as does SCI.

Getting a group policy through a job or professional or fraternal association might be possible. Check into the policies available through AARP as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Maybe a group policy will work. I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Getting a group policy through a job or professional or fraternal association might be possible.

(KLD)
        This is how I got private disability insurance based solely on my age. I’m 100% sure I’d never qualify if I had to go privately, but my job had a disability policy that I could buy into and take with me.

I’ve got no dependents so I don’t feel the need for life insurance, but I imagine it might work much the same.

Comment

Working...
        X