Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does an HSA cover wheelchair parts/accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does an HSA cover wheelchair parts/accessories?

I've got an HSA at work and I'm not quite sure how it works. I guess maybe I've been traumatized by all the back and forth I get from insurance companies trying to not cover stuff that I really need to live my life, but does anyone know how HSAs work?

Obviously I need to document my expenses with receipts and whatnot, but do I also need to document medical necessity, like having a doctor's order for a new wheelchair back or cushion or tires, which I normally just pay for out of pocket because it's not worth the 20 plus hours I'd have to spend haggling with the insurance company to maybe get it covered.

I just bought a new set of tires and tubes and I'm wondering if I can write that off.

Also, complicating the situation, I'd greatly prefer to not cash out the HSA yet, since it lets me invest anything over $1000 in the stock market. It's like the most tax efficient retirement savings account I have so if I could just save up receipts for 20 years and then cash it out in retirement after getting tons of tax free growth that would be ideal. I just don't want to have a hard drive full of receipts and then find out they get denied because I can't prove medical necessity or some such thing.

Anybody else got experience with HSAs?

Also, this probably isn't the right forum, but it felt weird to put it in the funding/legislation forum. Mods can feel free to move it wherever they feel it fits best.

What would make me the most comfortable, would be if I could submit receipts and get them "approved", but not take the money out until I decide to... but if it was "approved" it would seem to be easier to get the money whenever I wanted.

Comment

You would need to talk to someone who is very familiar with your HSA. That may be someone in your HR department if this is a HSA linked to your company's insurance plan. When I was working and had an HSA through the VA (federal employee) we could not roll our money over to the next year, so I would put less money into it than you might, since any remaining funds were lost at the end of the year.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It sounds like you had an FSA, not an HSA, KLD. HSA money doesn’t expire.

Comment

Working...
        X