SSDI eligibility after retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSDI eligibility after retirement

If one were to retire from work, not due to disability necessarily, and then began either collecting a pension or were supported by other means, would they then be eligible to apply for SSDI to supplement their income until eligible for Social Security?

Last I looked into this SCI (or at least paraplegia/quadriplegia) was an automatically qualifying disability. The reason why you’re not working shouldn’t matter. Just apply for SSDI when you’re out of work and you should be approved.

Comment

Apply ASAP after you stop working. I believe it still can take up to two months to start receiving SSDI checks. The Medicare used to be automatic after 2 years on SSDI but I don't know if that 2 yr. wait is still the case. My Medicare became "first payer", and my health insurance from my employer became "2nd payer". On a couple of occasions my retiree health insurance paid in full when Medicare did not cover an $1800 orthotic I needed, as my old one was not yet 5 yrs. old, as required by Medicare.

Comment

Thanks! I've got 8 years until I reach 25 and become eligible for my employer healthcare. At that time I'll be 53. At that point it'll be a matter of health and motivation if I want to continue toward age 60, which is the retirement age for my employer.

Comment

Your first SSDI check will be 6 months after you are approved for SSDI. You will then be eligible for Medicare 2 years from the date you receive your first SSDI check.

Comment

Working...
          X