No announcement yet.

Who do you hire to think for you?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who do you hire to think for you?

    I can not cope with the complexities of benefits programs.....can I pay someone to do the mental lifting for me? You all are so smart on here, but I can barely balance a check book. I tried to get an advocate but even that was too much. Do I need some sort of power of attorney thing?
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

  • #2
    Yes, things can get complicated! No, it's not about smartness.
    It seems you're a customer of a bank and have a checking account. What do you think about calling your bank and ask to talk with an advisor about your financial concerns? There may be some services they offer to persons who have the issues you do, such as bill paying.

    You might want to Google power of attorney to find out more about what it is.

    In addition, if you think you may be experiencing any physical or mental issues that would cause problems in handling things, you may want to bring this up with your doctor. For example, high stress may be a factor. How have you handled these things all your life? Is this a change?
    Just a comment as to what I'm getting at: a urinary infection can sometimes cause confusion. So, check out your medical condition with your doctor.


    • #3
      Do you have a close family member or friend who you would trust to manage your financial affairs? If so, you can give them a limited power of attorney (best drawn up by an attorney). Limited puts limits on what they can do. This does not give them power of attorney of the person, which would apply for having that person determine your living situation, institutionalization, and health care options. A guardianship (in most states) can also be created, but this removes a lot of decisional power from you, and they usually are also given power of attorney for the person, meaning they determine where you live, with whom, and even can decide on institutionalization.

      You could also look into private senior case management, although these services are not cheap.

      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.


      • #4
        I definitely have mental health issues. I am on antidepressants and anti anxiety meds. I was in therapy for two years. I feel like I just can’t cope anymore, life keeps getting more and more overwhelming. I am currently housebound because I injured my arms and can no longer get in my vehicle until I get my new car that will be easier to transfer into. Honestly though I almost never go to a doctor because they don’t k ow what to do with me because I have a degenerative neurological condition. I try to just get through it day by day, but man, it has been so hard.
        chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder