Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I claim my 17 soon to be 18 yr old who will be eligible for Medicaid & SSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I claim my 17 soon to be 18 yr old who will be eligible for Medicaid & SSI

I am sorry if this is not the right spot for this question but I am confused. My son is 17 and a senior in high school 16 months post C4 incomplete injury. He will be graduating in May and attending college in the fall. I am confused about taxes and claiming him on my insurance and his eligibility for Medicaid and SSI. He is on my insurance from work and will remain on it. He will not be eligible for Medicaid until he turns 18 and they no longer look at my income. Question is how long from application does it take to get SSI and Medicaid? Can he apply early like medicare? Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Originally posted by dee1843 View Post
    I am sorry if this is not the right spot for this question but I am confused. My son is 17 and a senior in high school 16 months post C4 incomplete injury. He will be graduating in May and attending college in the fall. I am confused about taxes and claiming him on my insurance and his eligibility for Medicaid and SSI. He is on my insurance from work and will remain on it. He will not be eligible for Medicaid until he turns 18 and they no longer look at my income. Question is how long from application does it take to get SSI and Medicaid? Can he apply early like medicare? Any help or direction would be appreciated.
    It may be best to talk with a tax consultant. It will be 50 years this fall since my injury, I applied for SS right away but it didn't get approved till 8 months after being released from the hosp. I could collect roughly one year after injury. Being a veteran I didn't use Medicare. Years later, in the 80's, Medicare was offered, I wasn't told there would be a 10% penalty for each year of not accepting, after ten years I was told and had been penalized 100%. SS have trained people that don't give information not being asked so it is always best to consult someone other than them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

From our experience he cannot apply early and get approved for SSI and Medicaid. (Because of me and my husband's income and believe me, we are not living high off the hog!) We were encouraged to apply for SSI and Medicaid right after my daughter's injury....she was 12 and we were told she would get denied but mentioned something about establishing a record. We did and she was denied. We didn't visit this again until she was 17. We were told to contact Social Security about a month before she turned 18. We did that and basically they said to come back when she was 18 which we did when she turned 18 in March. I can't remember how soon she was approved but she was receiving SSI that summer before her freshman year of college.

Hope that helps some!

Comment

Since he got disabled as a minor, he should be able to collect disability under a parent's name. If he ever gets married, he will then lose his disability check.

Comment

Working...
        X