Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real estate taxes exemption in Florida for quadriplegics, but why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally talked to a Phoenix realtor. I hope to be living in AZ before the winter.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
      I use to live in Florida until the Hurricanes (Lost my Roof) chased me out. The Property Tax exemption was a big help on a limited income. I tried to bring attention to this exemption in PA where I live now but had no success. I don't understand why this isn't in every state. It would be nice if some of these SCI organizations would take up the cause. The property taxes here in PA are going up. I live with my Mother & Stepfather and we share expenses but they are in their mid 70s and if one of them gets sick I can't afford to stay here. Its making us think about moving out of the state. I see Arizona has a type of disability exemption and if I have to relocated it might as well be in a warmer climate. I do miss Florida's weather.
      I have been trying Illinois for 10 years. Funny thing spinal cord injury Association of Illinois had no interest in helping to sponsor of the bill my representative had written up. I’ve come to find that the spinal cord injury nonprofits are all a bunch of bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by cementhead View Post

I have been trying Illinois for 10 years. Funny thing spinal cord injury Association of Illinois had no interest in helping to sponsor of the bill my representative had written up. I’ve come to find that the spinal cord injury nonprofits are all a bunch of bullshit.
        Yes they are.
        "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Actually you kind of did say that quads don’t typically work, or if they do they aren’t well paid, they have transportation issues which cause them to miss work, etc. But I digress.

So to address your question, the exemptions here in FL began with disabled vets, then expanded to include quads, paras, 100% disabled civilians. Typically special exemptions like these are the work of advocates and very often a legislator with a disability or who is a family member of someone with an disability/SCI. I don’t think there was a logical rationale for giving people with SCI a tax exemption, more likely a legislator’s brother dove off of a cliff he shouldn’t have.

Comment

i have bought 3 houses since becoming a quad most i have had to do was a shower and in this home a out door elevator as 19 feet on stilts. i love it here. iA also work 9 hrs a day at the same thing i did before i got injured. i just quit making sales calls.

Comment

Anyone on disability in all states get the exemption. I think it is a great idea! CWO
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe in Texas, but not in CA. It certainly is not in every state. (KLD)

So are paraplegics are 100% exempt from property tax as well if they are considered permanently disabled? I thought it was only quads. Can any para's that live in Florida confirm this?
              Last edited by Donnaz; 15 May 2022, 3:29 PM.

Comment

Just wondering is a exemption or a deferral?

Comment

• Oddity
                  Oddity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't know about FL, but in VA, it is an % exemption, up to 100%, on a sliding scale, based on total household income. They don't come due upon selling the property, or by the estate after death, as deferred taxes do.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0196.101.html

here you go

Comment

Seems there is an income limit on that. Of course one more program I would not qualify for.

Comment

Originally posted by cementhead View Post
                    Seems there is an income limit on that. Of course one more program I would not qualify for.
                    Tough problem to have.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post

Tough problem to have.
                      it is tough when the 10k you make over the limit nullified the 25k in programs you can’t receive. I pay for so much that others get free. I worked so hard pre injury that my SSDI and small disability pension disqualify me for virtually every program available. I’m not lawsuit rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnaz View Post
                        So are paraplegics are 100% exempt from property tax as well if they are considered permanently disabled? I thought it was only quads. Can any para's that live in Florida confirm this?
                        I believe it's income based for Paras in Florida. It's not income-based or work related for quads.
                        Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post

I believe it's income based for Paras in Florida. It's not income-based or work related for quads.
                          You are correct..

196.101 Exemption for totally and permanently disabled persons.—
                          (1) Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by any quadriplegic is exempt from taxation.
                          (2) Any real estate used and owned as a homestead by a paraplegic, hemiplegic, or other totally and permanently disabled person, as defined in s. 196.012(11), who must use a wheelchair for mobility or who is legally blind, is exempt from taxation.
                          (3) The production by any totally and permanently disabled person entitled to the exemption in subsection (1) or subsection (2) of a certificate of such disability from two licensed doctors of this state or from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or its predecessor to the property appraiser of the county wherein the property lies, is prima facie evidence of the fact that he or she is entitled to such exemption.
                          (4)(a) A person entitled to the exemption in subsection (2) must be a permanent resident of this state. Submission of an affidavit that the applicant claiming the exemption under subsection (2) is a permanent resident of this state is prima facie proof of such residence. However, the gross income of all persons residing in or upon the homestead for the prior year shall not exceed $14,500. For the purposes of this section, the term “gross income” includes United States Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and any social security benefits paid to the persons.
                          (b) The maximum income limitations permitted in this subsection shall be adjusted annually on January 1, beginning January 1, 1990, by the percentage change in the average cost-of-living index in the period January 1 through December 31 of the immediate prior year compared with the same period for the year prior to that. The index is the average of the monthly consumer price index figures for the stated 12-month period, relative to the United States as a whole, issued by the United States Department of Labor.

Comment

Working...
                          X