Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real estate taxes exemption in Florida for quadriplegics, but why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama; 100% disabled or age 65 = no property tax for residence in your name.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeh, but you have to live in Alabama! (KLD)

Arizona Tax Info.

Pursuant to Arizona Administrative Code R15-4-116: Exemption for Totally and Permanently Disabled Person
    A. For purposes of the property tax exemption in the Arizona Constitution Article 9, Section 2.2, a person is “totally and
    permanently disabled” if the person is unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity, for pay or profit, by reason of
    any physical or mental impairment that is expected to:
    1. Last for a continuous period of 12 months or more, or
    2. Result in death within 12 months.
    B. To qualify for the exemption, a disabled person shall be certified as totally and permanently disabled by a person licensed....
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Smokey, I think it goes along with all those who join the military and take that one time offer to change state of residence to a state like Florida or other low or no income state. Unless you have an actual permanant residence in Florida when you do this you lose your right to vote for anyone but President/VP. Florida does tax intangibles like stocks and bonds though. And certain communities have an extra add on tax to the property tax to handle extras the citizens want not just HOAs or condo fees. You do pay those.
      BTW, Hollywood Beach now has a Margaritaville so avoid during spring break. We have yet to try it but it is on the Boardwalk and is loud.
      Originally posted by smokey View Post
      I am a Massachusetts resident. My father had a condominium in Florida and I came to realize if the property was in my name and I lived there full-time I would not have to pay real estate taxes.

Does anyone know the theory or the rationale behind this tax exemption for quadriplegics? I would love to have a tax exemption up here in Massachusetts for my house as I pay almost $12,000 a year for real estate taxes. Most of the tax money goes towards the public schools and my wife and I do not have any children. Could some of the rationale behind the tax exemption in Florida be quadriplegics typically do not have children that would use the school system? Quadriplegics typically do not work, quadriplegics do not make as much money as the average person, quadriplegics have high medical bills that must be paid, quadriplegics typically have transportation problems and are not reliable employees due to transportation problems, health problems, PCA problems etc.?

I am just throwing this out there and I am not saying quadriplegics do not work or do not have children or do not have transportation. I'm just wondering why Florida exempts quadriplegics from paying real estate taxes. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Have tried this in Illinois several times with no luck. To top it off the Illinois spinal cord injury nonprofit would not even get on board with it because it only showed quadriplegics on the bill. I got a Tell ya these nonprofits are a joke in my opinion. The spinal cord injury Association has never done a damn thing for me. Probably the biggest struggle I have reached when I got my injury is financially. And there is no financial help out there whatsoever. No assistance to help purchase a vehicle. No tax breaks. Nothing. I can find out any information any of these nonprofits provide just by doing a Google search. They really do not help.
        seen the post about actually looking up the person that wrote the bill in Florida is a good idea and I might do that myself

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
          I am a Massachusetts resident. My father had a condominium in Florida and I came to realize if the property was in my name and I lived there full-time I would not have to pay real estate taxes.

Does anyone know the theory or the rationale behind this tax exemption for quadriplegics? I would love to have a tax exemption up here in Massachusetts for my house as I pay almost $12,000 a year for real estate taxes. Most of the tax money goes towards the public schools and my wife and I do not have any children. Could some of the rationale behind the tax exemption in Florida be quadriplegics typically do not have children that would use the school system? Quadriplegics typically do not work, quadriplegics do not make as much money as the average person, quadriplegics have high medical bills that must be paid, quadriplegics typically have transportation problems and are not reliable employees due to transportation problems, health problems, PCA problems etc.?

I am just throwing this out there and I am not saying quadriplegics do not work or do not have children or do not have transportation. I'm just wondering why Florida exempts quadriplegics from paying real estate taxes. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
          12,000 I would move. Or do you have a mansion?
          Art

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
            I tried to bring attention to this exemption in PA where I live now but had no success. I don't understand why this isn't in every state.
            I contacted my local (Bucks) county office and my state representative. I was told there is only an exemption for disabled veterans. PA offers a property tax rebate programs and an homestead act which can save you some money.

T12 Complete since 1982. TiLite Tx

Comment

Originally posted by rshadd View Post
              I contacted my local (Bucks) county office and my state representative. I was told there is only an exemption for disabled veterans. PA offers a property tax rebate programs and an homestead act which can save you some money.
              I contacted my state representative Christopher Quinn in Delaware Co.and he is going to look into it and hopefully propose legislation for including an exemption for disabled and veterans together.
              "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

from what i learned florida did it for the military disabled first. its also different by county. some give you a complete exemption others you have to make less than a certain amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                  from what i learned florida did it for the military disabled first. its also different by county. some give you a complete exemption others you have to make less than a certain amount of money.
                  If you're a quad it's state wide if you're a para it goes by income this is for non-military. It is saving us thousands of dollars per year. We absolutely love Florida.
                  Sales@rollinginparadise.com

Comment

When I lived with my parents they did not have to pay property taxes (I'm a quad). My wife and I are looking to purchase our first house. We have looked in a few states but keep coming back to Florida because of no property taxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X