Transportation for work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transportation for work

How does everyone else get to work when there is no public transportation available (apparently I?m outside the area). Only solution I could Think of is having my caregiver do split shifts where they drop me off in the morning and pick me up at the end of the day.

Obviously I have my own vehicle, And I can?t transfer myself into a regular car.

Contact Vocational Rehabilitation in your area, since you are working they are a great help.
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Comment

What is your level of injury? Can you not drive your own vehicle? The California Dept of Rehabilitation may pay for needed modifications and driver's training.

http://www.dor.ca.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Have you tried using the Dial-a-Ride/paratransit services in your area?

http://www.lake-elsinore.org/city-ha...transportation

https://www.riversidetransit.com/ind...is-dial-a-ride

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        What is your level of injury? Can you not drive your own vehicle? The California Dept of Rehabilitation may pay for needed modifications and driver's training.

http://www.dor.ca.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Have you tried using the Dial-a-Ride/paratransit services in your area?

http://www.lake-elsinore.org/city-ha...transportation

https://www.riversidetransit.com/ind...is-dial-a-ride

(KLD)
        I am a quadriplegic c4, i’m not able to drive myself. I already tried dial a ride And apparently I’m outside the area I’m also in a new neighborhood so some of the areas don’t have sidewalks.

Comment

So it looks like your only real option at this time is to have your PCA or a family member/friend drive you to/from work. Is it an option to move closer to your work, or to an area where the paratransit does serve people?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Moving is out of the question but I’m assuming they’ll expand the paratransit soon. Thanks SCI-nurse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajtut View Post
              Moving is out of the question but I’m assuming they’ll expand the paratransit soon. Thanks SCI-nurse.
              Have you been in touch with your Independent Living Center (CIL) for your area? They should be advocating for you and others in the area to get more access to paratransit, consistent with the ADA.

(KLD)

Comment

Did I miss something? I don't see what your injury is. There are vehicles that you drive from your chair. Then there's Uber, lyft, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajtut View Post
                  How does everyone else get to work when there is no public transportation available (apparently I?m outside the area). Only solution I could Think of is having my caregiver do split shifts where they drop me off in the morning and pick me up at the end of the day.

Obviously I have my own vehicle, And I can?t transfer myself into a regular car.
                  It is not obvious from what you wrote exactly what the issue is. Is it that you drive a converted van, but there is only parking available for regular cars?
                  I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                    Did I miss something? I don't see what your injury is. There are vehicles that you drive from your chair. Then there's Uber, lyft, etc.
                    Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                    It is not obvious from what you wrote exactly what the issue is. Is it that you drive a converted van, but there is only parking available for regular cars?
                    See the OP's response in post #4 above.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                      See the OP's response in post #4 above.

(KLD)
                      Thank you, it's curious you saw *not* and we missed it.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You might be interested in exploring tax deductions. When I worked there was a place to put "disability related work expenses", and it was NOT under medical expenses, but separate. Thus the full expenditure was deductible. It might be under "Other" deductions.
                        With that in mind, funds you pay for a driver to drive you to work (not shopping, etc.) would be deductible. In addition, you may be able to deduct part of expenses to run a van - if that's the vehicle you need due to disability. You would not deduct the portion normally used for a person to commute in a standard vehicle.
                        I used to deduct a percentage of my van for commuting to work - something like 20%, gas, maintenance, repairs.
                        When the van was brand new I deducted a similar percentage of the modifications that I paid for: hand controls, power seat, power doors, wheelchair lift.
                        I'm sorry I don't know the current rules on this and thus I suggest you discuss this with a tax professional. Avoid placing such deductions under "Medical". They are not medical, they are work expenses - kinda like taking clients to lunch, going to a professional workshop, etc.etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X