Question for employed SCIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for employed SCIs

I start a new job on June 1 - my first non-consultant job since my injury - and I'm looking for input on how people juggle the wonders on SCI-life with an 8-5 job, specifically their bowel programs.
    I've been doing mine every morning before my shower. This seems ideal in many ways other than the extra hour of prep time (or longer) before being able to leave the house. I could move this to nighttime, but I'd still need to shower in the AM as my thick hair will dry like some sort of Elvis impersonator if I sleep on it.

So what do others do?
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I go after work because I don't want to get up at 5am.

Comment

I get up at 5am every morning, do the bowel routine then shower. As time passed, it become a faster process and I got used to it but it kinda kicks the hell out of you for a few weeks.

Comment

Evening here, too. Never could take a satisfying dump in the morning, even when I was upright.....

Comment

I chose mornings because that was my clockwork for about thirty years pre-injury.

Comment

I work 12 hours day up at 5 at my desk work tell 5 at night. I only do bowell routine every 4 days.

Comment

Careful with that coffee though ..
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmay View Post
                I get up at 5am every morning, do the bowel routine then shower. As time passed, it become a faster process and I got used to it but it kinda kicks the hell out of you for a few weeks.
                I did this routine through school and then continued with employment, I was a 6 a.m. riser though and BP every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  Careful with that coffee though ..
                  I'd be afraid to sneeze!

Comment

I do every second night. Get to bed at about 22:00, up at 05:00 to shower, have breakfast and leave at about 06:30
                    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                      I chose mornings because that was my clockwork for about thirty years pre-injury.
                      Your body usually knows what's best. Morning glory it is.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        I go after work because I don't want to get up at 5am.
                        Me too, I do every other day in the evening. The current iteration of this tortuous routine is going on right now and takes from 90 minutes to 2 hours. I'm not willing to wake up that early, and in any case I noticed that I got less "after burn" if I went to sleep shortly after going.

I just try to make it a productive part of my day and bring my laptop, some books to read, etc.

Comment

Evenings for me.

Comment

I don't know about everyone else, but my BP length can be a little unpredictable. Anywhere from 45-90 minutes. So I'd rather not have to get up extra early just in case it goes long. I do mine in the evenings 3X week. I already get up at 5:30 to leave the house around 7 AM, so it's nice not to have BP to worry about in the morning.

Comment

Before my 2012 colostomy, I did it every third day, which was confusing/hard to keep track.
                              Then I started doing Wed evening and Sunday am (3 1/2 days).
                              That worked fine for me for 14 years. Certainly opened up a lot of time for me!
                              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                              NW NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X