Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

workers compensation ? help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    KLD – I just wanted to write with an update, and a massive thank you. Since your advice, and being able to identify a nurse assessor, they have worked to comprehensively assess my needs and present that in a compelling way to the insurance company. Since then, I've got a top of the range powered wheelchair, wheelchair accessible where I can ride upfront, big turning system, physiotherapy sessions and much more. I struggled for ages by myself trying to figure things out and it's only thanks to your advice and the other guys he replied that my life has completely changed. I can't really thank you enough. I just hope something wonderful happens in your life in return!

    Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Rx = prescription.

    Zambi, do you have a nurse case manager assigned to you by the workers' comp company that you are covered by? Many companies assign one when someone has a catastrophic disability, and this person's responsibility is to coordinate identification of your care/equipment needs with the specific WC policy your employer has. If not, you should inquire about getting such a case manager assigned. I know several who work for USA WC companies and provide case management services for clients who live in other countries (mostly Latin America).

    (KLD)

    Comment


      #17
      Finding legal representation in the US remotely from the UK

      Hi all


      Further to my other post regarding my Foreign Voluntary Compensation/Foreign Voluntary Workers Comp (FVC/FVWC), wanted to update to say I was successful in obtaining vehicle, new wheelchair and various other things from the insurance company thanks to your advice. I'm very grateful to you all.


      Now, the insurance company wants to settle the claim. This type of policy is quite unusual but is basically equivalent to Workers Comp. I am British, but worked for New York City-based employer. I don't know where to begin trying to find legal representation to settle this claim. I don't know if they have to be in NYC or can be anywhere in the US? Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Google turned up only one firm https://www.brownsims.com/practices/workers-compensation/
      like I say don't know if it matters that they are based in a different state?


      Many thanks in advance

      Comment


        #18
        Workers' compensation (WC) is a state program in the USA, so it is best to obtain legal counsel from an attorney in that state. In California an attorney has to be certified by the Workers' Compensation Board to represent you before them. No clue if this is a requirement in NY.

        (KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Zambi View Post
          Now, the insurance company wants to settle the claim. This type of policy is quite unusual but is basically equivalent to Workers Comp. I am British, but worked for New York City-based employer. I don't know where to begin trying to find legal representation to settle this claim. I don't know if they have to be in NYC or can be anywhere in the US? Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Google turned up only one firm https://www.brownsims.com/practices/workers-compensation/
          like I say don't know if it matters that they are based in a different state?
          If all of your medical is covered in the UK and you plan on staying there maybe setting is the right thing to do. Here in the US most people on Medicare or Medicaid have to fight for the simple things. They get very little if any attendant care help. It's horrible.

          Comment


            #20
            I'm Workers Comp. in Washington for 46 years. They offered me the same talk of settlement. That entailed them not being responsible for bills and DME equipment. It was like 50 grand or so. Not a bad sum of money back then. Thankfully, my counsellor for L&I suggested I fight for compensation. Which I did. Your lifespan may be a long one. If I had taken even a million dollars settlement, It's a drop in the bucket what it would have cost me to live 46 years post. You're best bet is to contact a sci support group or similar to get their recommendations. I'm sure a Floridian in the know will post.

            Don't sign anything without having it checked out. Ensure it's all in writing including DME and health related issues considered. I would have been screwed had I trusted them. They've been great since.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              I'm Workers Comp. in Washington for 46 years. They offered me the same talk of settlement. That entailed them not being responsible for bills and DME equipment. It was like 50 grand or so. Not a bad sum of money back then. Thankfully, my counsellor for L&I suggested I fight for compensation. Which I did. Your lifespan may be a long one. If I had taken even a million dollars settlement, It's a drop in the bucket what it would have cost me to live 46 years post. You're best bet is to contact a sci support group or similar to get their recommendations. I'm sure a Floridian in the know will post.

              Don't sign anything without having it checked out. Ensure it's all in writing including DME and health related issues considered. I would have been screwed had I trusted them. They've been great since.
              After re reading what you said about your Workers Comp getting you a van, wheelchair and other equipment you definitely need to talk to a lawyer.

              I'm Workers Comp in FL for 29 years. They wanted to settle a couple different times. Two years ago they offered me a large amount to settle. But I'm a c3c4 quad who needs 24hr attendant care, supplies, equipment (new van and wheelchair every five years), Dr. appointments, hospital stays etc. That large amount offered would not last me for the rest of my life so I said no.
              Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 7 Sep 2019, 12:34 PM.

              Comment


                #22
                Michigan work comp no longer covers vehicles. They were able to push through the courts and pass the verbiage to say a vehicle is not considered necessary medical equipment. It really is a shame what they get away with, ripping away any rights or benefits from injured workers. Especially knowing we are not in a position to fight them.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by medic1 View Post
                  Michigan work comp no longer covers vehicles. They were able to push through the courts and pass the verbiage to say a vehicle is not considered necessary medical equipment. It really is a shame what they get away with, ripping away any rights or benefits from injured workers. Especially knowing we are not in a position to fight them.
                  What? How is a van considered not necessary? The only way for us to get around is in our wheelchair in a van. In my life care plan it was agreed upon that I would receive a van and wheelchair every five years. I'm due a van right now. Workers Comp will fight it but in the end I will get it.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    They don't buy my vehicles either; just the conversion part of it. Which helps a lot.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                      They don't buy my vehicles either; just the conversion part of it. Which helps a lot.
                      How often will they pay for a new conversion? I believe VA is every two years. My lawyer did say it's uncommon to receive a van every five years. He said whoever represented me when I was first injured did a great job.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                        What? How is a van considered not necessary? The only way for us to get around is in our wheelchair in a van. In my life care plan it was agreed upon that I would receive a van and wheelchair every five years. I'm due a van right now. Workers Comp will fight it but in the end I will get it.
                        Michigan work comp system has been decimated. I was injured on the job and in a vehicle rollover. Auto portion initially paid for a vehicle and comp paid for mods. Then laws changed. Auto no longer will pay for vehicle nor will comp. My point is, a regular person can get by with a beater vehicle. We can't. We need a certain vehicle to accommodate our medically necessary equipment. So while technically a vehicle is not a medical device, it is absolutely needed for quality of living and medical necessity. Work comp is a for profit system and is no longer set to help injured workers. We would be better off being allowed to sue again. As it is now they can cut benefits off at any time. Can wait you out. Can take two years to even go to court and you have no rights. It's all administrative laws and hearings in their favor. Cut your wages off, cut your medical benefits off, push you to settle. When you are hurt and suffering and losing everything they back you in a corner. Take it or suffer. How many can wait them out? Can afford to wait them out with no income and no insurance when they do that? It's devastating.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by medic1 View Post
                          Michigan work comp system has been decimated. I was injured on the job and in a vehicle rollover. Auto portion initially paid for a vehicle and comp paid for mods. Then laws changed. Auto no longer will pay for vehicle nor will comp. My point is, a regular person can get by with a beater vehicle. We can't. We need a certain vehicle to accommodate our medically necessary equipment. So while technically a vehicle is not a medical device, it is absolutely needed for quality of living and medical necessity. Work comp is a for profit system and is no longer set to help injured workers. We would be better off being allowed to sue again. As it is now they can cut benefits off at any time. Can wait you out. Can take two years to even go to court and you have no rights. It's all administrative laws and hearings in their favor. Cut your wages off, cut your medical benefits off, push you to settle. When you are hurt and suffering and losing everything they back you in a corner. Take it or suffer. How many can wait them out? Can afford to wait them out with no income and no insurance when they do that? It's devastating.
                          What is Auto? Did Workers Comp do a life care plan when you were injured and put money away to take care of you for the rest of your life? That is what was done for me here in Florida. I guess every state is different. It is devastating to hear what they will put people through for things people need.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Michigan used to have an excellent no-fault automobile insurance that fully covered disability related care and equipment. I suppose that is what medic1 is talking about.

                            (KLD)
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                              Michigan used to have an excellent no-fault automobile insurance that fully covered disability related care and equipment. I suppose that is what medic1 is talking about.

                              (KLD)
                              Ok, I see.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I can't believe that you're eligible for a new vehicle every 5 years! Who typically gets a new vehicle that frequently?! For PA voc rehab it is 10 years or 100,000 miles.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X