Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C-5 quadriplegic concerned about insurance cost for a modified vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-5 quadriplegic concerned about insurance cost for a modified vehicle.

Hello everyone I am a C-5 quadriplegic who recently got his license a few months ago and I am in the process of getting government funding for a vehicle to be modified with the Scott driving system which in total will cost about $108,000 that's without the cost of the vehicle so in total I will be getting a vehicle that cost $140,000. Has any other quadriplegics got in a vehicle modified and has purchased insurance for the vehicle? I have contacted insurance companies and they don't seem to know what they're doing so I'm reaching out to find out what other people's experience have been. I'm really worried that I'm going to end up with a $200 car payment and an $800 a month insurance payment. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Check with AAA insurance. They covered the adaptations to my mother's van.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My sons van insurance is on a stand alone policy from Erie Insurance for $5,850/year. It's a NorCal Max with electronic controls. His van all in was $118,000 if that matters.

Comment

My van is insured with Allied Insurance, the broker represented arm of Nationwide Insurance. They required that the cost of the van and the cost of the conversion/customization be stated separately to avoid experiencing the typical depreciation on the conversion/customization that you experience on a vehicle.

Here are some older threads on the subject:
        http:///forum/showthread.php?234722-...t=insuring+van
        http:///forum/showthread.php?233952-...t=insuring+van
        http:///forum/showthread.php?125063-...t=insuring+van

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

So I contacted a local State Farm agent to get a quote on insurance and I gave the agent an explanation of my situation. Gave him estimated cost of the modifications and the price of the vehicle and the agent quoted me $1080 per month for insurance which was ridiculously high.

Comment

Originally posted by nrf View Post
            My sons van insurance is on a stand alone policy from Erie Insurance for $5,850/year. It's a NorCal Max with electronic controls. His van all in was $118,000 if that matters.
            Do you know if that coverage includes the modifications and the vehicle cost?

Comment

we have a full size van with 23k mods so basically 75k van, wifes car and scooter with same outfit[amfam] that covers our house. its $168 mth for auto with mods fully covered.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com
              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I have the stupidest question but I have t ask how the heck does a van cost 118,000 granted I am c6c7

i am not putting down just curious

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                  I have the stupidest question but I have t ask how the heck does a van cost 118,000 granted I am c6c7

i am not putting down just curious
                  I have to ask the same thing. My van with modifications cost about $51,000, but that was nearly 8 yrs. ago. Mine is also set-up for me to drive it.
                  DaDutchman
                  C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

Originally posted by DaDutchman View Post
                    I have to ask the same thing. My van with modifications cost about $51,000, but that was nearly 8 yrs. ago. Mine is also set-up for me to drive it.
                    As a C-5 quadriplegic I'm driving with really high tech equipment so basically my modifications were approved recently and the total was $120,000 and modifications (ridiculous) that's why some auto insurance companies are quoting me $900 to $1100 per month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XclgwuRyffw
                    your modifications are basically dropped floor and a push pull and control or a six way seat?

Comment

YeahI could see it costing that much, I know some C5 that function like paraplegics, then I know others like myself that can barely move there one arm. In that case driving is out of the question, but some injuries will just require a lot more modifications and there are people that know what they're doing on the subject at the same time they catch wind that you have an insurance settlement and they rig it out and charge a fortune.

Comment

[QUOTE=ezjose1;your modifications are basically dropped floor and a push pull and control or a six way seat?[/QUOTE]

That is correct. I do not have a 6 way power seat. I believe on the Chrysler mini-vans that type of seat may be standard.
                        DaDutchman
                        C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

Originally posted by ezjose1 View Post
                          Do you know if that coverage includes the modifications and the vehicle cost?
                          Yes it does.

Comment

I am a insurance agent here in Florida. There are several reasons that would make your premium very high. It sounds like you are a new driver with no length of experience. If this is your first time being licensed in the U.S. it will be a big factor in premium. Second here in Florida they use credit history, I don't know if they do in N.Y.but that makes a big factor here. Plus you have no prior insurance coverage. And your age could be in play.

Comment

No full, DSI Driving controls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHtVsBMzGXY at a cost of $90,000 and the drop floor at $20,000

Comment

Working...
                              X