Semi New Job. Feeling Like I Kind of Fail.. and Should Quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi New Job. Feeling Like I Kind of Fail.. and Should Quit

So I;ve been at a new job for approx. 5 months. At first, I was call taking. I did really well with that so they moved me into dispatch. How it works, is, trucks are either on the East or West side and then are lined up. 1st truck gets first trip.

So yesterday, I messed up my line up a little bit, but it was so far down that it really didn't affect anyone. All my co workers have told me not to worry so much about it, that I am learning and progressing. One of them actually told me yesterday that a lot of the drivers (including him) have told him that they enjoy when I dispatch. My manager seems to think I'm doing fairly well and I'm getting good jobs from drivers.

But, I feel really bad that I screwed up the lineup. If anything, it affected one thing and it wasn't major. I just get so caught up in getting trips that sometimes I mess up. I am working on it, though.

I just don't know what to do. I really like dispatching, but, I don't want to just keep trying and end up being so bad that I get "kicked" out.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Of course you will make mistakes in the beginning!

Stick with it and you will do great, no doubt.

Comment

We all make mistakes. It's part of being human; accept it, learn what you can from your mistake and put it behind. Don't quit.
      Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Speak with your supervisor, and ask them to help you improve your skills in this area. They may be able to help you with arranging additional training or mentoring. Your supervisor will appreciate you coming forward and asking for assistance rather than waiting until they hear that you have "screwed up".

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Speak with your supervisor, and ask them to help you improve your skills in this area. They may be able to help you with arranging additional training or mentoring. Your supervisor will appreciate you coming forward and asking for assistance rather than waiting until they hear that you have "screwed up".

(KLD)

I have but she's told me I'm doing fine and that mistakes happen.

Comment

Mistakes happen. The rule is to always admit your mistake, apologize and move on. Never, ever blame someone else for your mistake. Respect follows.
            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Your being way to critical on yourself. I will be willing to bet the other dispatchers are making the same mistakes. Otherwise you would be hearing complaints. Their not giving you a pass because of your condition, trust me on that.

Comment

U wan't thinking they were giving me a pass because of the chair. I just really want to do well in there and not get kicked out of that job.

Comment

Relax,

Like others have said, people make mistakes. Only reason to worry about it is if you do not learn from your mistakes or you do not care, and you obviously care. One note, from talking to truck drivers, they know which dispatchers do/tries to do a good conscientious job and those who don't, but at one time or another, they will get mad at the dispatcher. Just something that you will run into, forewarned, is forearmed/prepared.
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
                    U wan't thinking they were giving me a pass because of the chair. I just really want to do well in there and not get kicked out of that job.
                    I been in the work workforce all my adult life. And I can tell you for sure. When you mess with some ones money, they don't care what condition you are in.

Comment

So yesterday, my manager talked to me about etas and needing to have a truck enroute within 20 minutes. My etas were rough the day before she talked to me. Anyways, yesterday was better and she did say I'm doing fine and that there is a learning curve.. but, we have calls from roadside assistance that come through an edis patch computer system. I got someone enroute within 2o minutes and cleared the call in our system but I made a mistake and it didn't clear in roadsides system so it looks like it took him like 2 hours to do a tow to roadside even though it only took like a half hour and you can see that in our system.. so not super good but I don't want to say anything because it's the weekend and I don't want to bug my manager but I feel bad

Comment

Working...
                      X