Student loan trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student loan trouble

Long story short, I had student loans that were in default, before I got hurt. Now the crappy part. My mom is/was a co signer on them. She only works part time due to health issues and now with me being disabled, they are going after her. They have waived me from them, but not her. She found a lawyer to work with her, through the state I guess. The collection agency agree'd to only take a certain percent of her check, when they went to court. She has been working more hours and they are taken her whole check and the lawyer isn't doing anything about it and she can't afford a good lawyer. Anybody have any idea what she can do?

Sorry but you have to pay your bills injured or not.
    Last edited by darty; 10 Nov 2014, 4:45 PM.
    ^^(A)^^

Comment

Actually, people with USA govt insured student loans who then become disabled are able to apply for a waiver. I don't think that applies to a co-signer though, so yes, it would appear that this puts your mother's financial status at risk. Suggest she see a good debt counselor (there are a lot of bad ones out there).

For legal help, consider asking about student assistance at your closest law school. Many have a law clinic where students get experience in managing problems like this before they have completed school and taken the bar exam.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by darty View Post
        Sorry but you have to pay your bills injured or not.
        Thanks, for that great advice.

Comment

Can you increase your income?

Comment

Originally posted by Clinker View Post
            Long story short, I had student loans that were in default, before I got hurt. Now the crappy part. My mom is/was a co signer on them. She only works part time due to health issues and now with me being disabled, they are going after her. They have waived me from them, but not her. She found a lawyer to work with her, through the state I guess. The collection agency agree'd to only take a certain percent of her check, when they went to court. She has been working more hours and they are taken her whole check and the lawyer isn't doing anything about it and she can't afford a good lawyer. Anybody have any idea what she can do?
            This about summarizes everything wrong with this country. So sad for your mother and you

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
              Can you increase your income?
              Yes, maybe some lotto tickets or prerselecting parents with money.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                Yes, maybe some lotto tickets or prerselecting parents with money.
                An injured spine doesn't eliminate one's economic value. There are ways to make money.

I'd feel pretty obligated to find a way to change the situation if it were my mother.

Comment

An injured spine doesn't eliminate one's economic value. There are ways to make money.

I'd feel pretty obligated to find a way to change the situation if it were my mother.
                  May I just say that might depend on your injury level ...
                  There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Comment

Did you complete the degree that the student loans were made for?? Are you working or looking for work?

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Taanshi79 View Post
                      May I just say that might depend on your injury level ...
                      Yes, it might. However, the OP's profile doesn't state an injury level.

Comment

Yes, it might. However, the OP's profile doesn't state an injury level.
                        Correct, it doesn't, but your statement was so general, just had to say that.
                        There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Comment

Originally posted by Taanshi79 View Post
                          Correct, it doesn't, but your statement was so general, just had to say that.
                          ...and I'm glad you did.

That said, I'm friends w/ a guy w/ a C5 complete injury of around 25 years who works full-time out of the home. He's figured out how to stay healthy, has a routine, and makes it happen. It's not easy but it's doable.

Comment

Your welcome what do you expect? It's a hard money loan with a co signer, that is why who ever you got the loan from structured it that way. You say you were in default before you got hurt so now you want it written off.

Originally posted by Clinker View Post
                            Thanks, for that great advice.
                            ^^(A)^^

Comment

This is just the tip of another huge and troubling loan problem. Once again our government has guaranteed loans. They tried to improve things by making it all but impossible to get rid of these loans. They follow you even through bankruptcy. I wish I knew an answer to your problem.
                              Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Working...
                              X