Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trial Work Period, anybody done it recently?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Trial Work Period, anybody done it recently?

    I am about to finish up my 21st and hopefully final semester of college/graduate education and will start actually working for a living again (hopefully).

    Anywho, so I was wondering what the deal is with a trial work period for SSDI. I searched on here any didn't find anything enlightening. The SSA website says 9 months of earnings above whatever amount on a rolling 60 month period, so I got that part, but on another (non SS) website they mentioned that SSDI would continue to pay for another 3 months after the 9 month trial work period.

    Does this mean I can count on 12 months of SSDI payments while I am working? Or is the possibly sketchy website telling me stories, and after 9 months I will be cut off?

    Cuz it'd be really nice to be able to put that money towards student loans.

    Thanks in advance everybody.

    #2
    I don't have a clue, funklab, but I do want to say: Congratu-fuckin'-lations!! What you've done in less than a decade since we were both having fun over at ADV is nothing short of awesome, hugely impressive, and dare I say the other dreaded "I" word...inspirational! I hope with all those loans you can afford a good pair of shades, 'cause the future is so bright... Cheers mate! -Oddity (aka DaleB)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    Comment


      #3
      When I did the trial work period I'm pretty sure I only got paid for 9 months. But that was a few years ago.

      Comment


        #4
        It's 12 months. They need to do the 9/3 month thing to keep things confusing for some reason. Just make sure that they actually stop payments after 12 months, they can have a habit of not hitting the 'stop payments' button on the keyboard (gubment werkers ya know). This may or may not result in them wanting some money back, depending on the amount of overpayments.

        Comment


          #5
          You should get a full 12 months then if you can no longer work your SSDI will be reinstated without a waiting period.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for the reply's everyone.


            Originally posted by Oddity View Post
            I don't have a clue, funklab, but I do want to say: Congratu-fuckin'-lations!! What you've done in less than a decade since we were both having fun over at ADV is nothing short of awesome, hugely impressive, and dare I say the other dreaded "I" word...inspirational! I hope with all those loans you can afford a good pair of shades, 'cause the future is so bright... Cheers mate! -Oddity (aka DaleB)
            Thanks Dale, it's been a long, hard road (for both of us, I'm sure) and it's far from over, but like the man said, you gotta get on with gettin' on.

            PS: I'm glad you threw your "real" name in there, cuz I was certainly wondering who the hell Oddity is. When did you change your name?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by funklab View Post
              Thanks for the reply's everyone.




              Thanks Dale, it's been a long, hard road (for both of us, I'm sure) and it's far from over, but like the man said, you gotta get on with gettin' on.

              PS: I'm glad you threw your "real" name in there, cuz I was certainly wondering who the hell Oddity is. When did you change your name?
              Just before the site version upgrade. Being such a consummate asshole I earned some "in real life" issues having an open identity. No worries, all is well, now, such that a reveal like this is of no consequence. The issues werent CC community related.
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

              "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                Just before the site version upgrade. Being such a consummate asshole I earned some "in real life" issues having an open identity. No worries, all is well, now, such that a reveal like this is of no consequence. The issues werent CC community related.
                Haha, well i hope this doesn't get you in trouble.

                I used to attach my name to things here and ADV occasionally, but decided it might be more prudent just to stick with this moniker. Good to talk to you again.

                -funklab

                Comment


                  #9
                  During the Trial Work Period, you get 9 months in a 60 month time frame in which you can earn as much as you are able and still get your full monthly SSD payment. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive but you've got to notify SSD about any month you aren't working so the clock doesn't keep running.

                  Once you finish your TWP and are earning over Substantial Gainful Activity ($ 1,070 a month in 2014), you enter into a 36 month Extended Period of Eligibility. When your EPE starts, you should get your SSD check for that month ( the TWP cessation month ) and the two months after ( the grace period ). That's where the 12 month part you read about comes into play.

                  Once you're in the Extended Period of Eligibility but outside of the grace period, you can still get your SSD payments during months when you either can't work due to disability or when your gross wages are less than the SGA amount.

                  Once the 36 month EPE is over you have a 5 year period of Expedited Reinstatement during which they can re-start your SSD benefits without a new application. The form for applying to start the Expedited Reinstatement process was hard to find. Here it is: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/i...-SSA-371-1.pdf

                  You may want to also look up the SSD Ticket To Work program and determine if any additional assistance is available.

                  The official SSD guide to work incentives is the Red Book: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

                  Best of luck to you. Going back to work was a big mile stone for us. In our situation, knowing about SSD's work incentive programs helped with the decision making process.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by 2drwhofans View Post
                    During the Trial Work Period, you get 9 months in a 60 month time frame in which you can earn as much as you are able and still get your full monthly SSD payment. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive but you've got to notify SSD about any month you aren't working so the clock doesn't keep running.

                    Once you finish your TWP and are earning over Substantial Gainful Activity ($ 1,070 a month in 2014), you enter into a 36 month Extended Period of Eligibility. When your EPE starts, you should get your SSD check for that month ( the TWP cessation month ) and the two months after ( the grace period ). That's where the 12 month part you read about comes into play.

                    Once you're in the Extended Period of Eligibility but outside of the grace period, you can still get your SSD payments during months when you either can't work due to disability or when your gross wages are less than the SGA amount.

                    Once the 36 month EPE is over you have a 5 year period of Expedited Reinstatement during which they can re-start your SSD benefits without a new application. The form for applying to start the Expedited Reinstatement process was hard to find. Here it is: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/i...-SSA-371-1.pdf

                    You may want to also look up the SSD Ticket To Work program and determine if any additional assistance is available.

                    The official SSD guide to work incentives is the Red Book: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

                    Best of luck to you. Going back to work was a big mile stone for us. In our situation, knowing about SSD's work incentive programs helped with the decision making process.

                    Thanks for the reply. I looked into the Ticket to Work program a while back, but I don't think it will really be applicable in my situation. I will (hopefully) have a gig that pretty much requires a 4 year contract with full time hours and benefits.

                    While reading up on ticket to work again, I came across something pretty interesting, however.

                    "Continuation of Medicare—If your
                    Social Security
                    disability benefits
                    stop because of your
                    earnings, but you are still
                    disabled, your free Medicare Part A
                    coverage will continue for at least
                    93 months after the nine-month trial
                    work period. After that, you can buy
                    Medicare Part A coverage by paying
                    a monthly premium. If you have
                    Medicare Part B coverage, you must
                    continue to pay the premium. If you
                    want to end your Part B coverage, you
                    must request it in writing."

                    93 months is a really long time. That's what, almost eight years! I hadn't seen that before.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Yes, the Medicare part is correct. If you buy private insurance through your new job, that company may send you a coordination of benefits form every year to determine who pays first if you need medical care.

                      If you have a job lined up but haven't started, the TTW program can still be valuable. Check with your state's Voc. Rehab agency and consider meeting with a case mgr. to determine if they have anything to offer: not by finding you a job, but providing assistance to help you keep that job. Discuss any concerns you may have about transportation and equipment. They get paid when you meet certain milestones. I was wary of private employment agencies that accepted TTW. Dealing with state agencies is a slow process and very dependent on the case manager you get.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Be careful to track this yourself and any money you feel may be an over-payment you should put aside and not spend. They will come back for it and it may be a year or so until they get around to it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by funklab View Post
                          Thanks for the reply. I looked into the Ticket to Work program a while back, but I don't think it will really be applicable in my situation. I will (hopefully) have a gig that pretty much requires a 4 year contract with full time hours and benefits.

                          While reading up on ticket to work again, I came across something pretty interesting, however.

                          "Continuation of Medicare?If your
                          Social Security
                          disability benefits
                          stop because of your
                          earnings, but you are still
                          disabled, your free Medicare Part A
                          coverage will continue for at least
                          93 months after the nine-month trial
                          work period. After that, you can buy
                          Medicare Part A coverage by paying
                          a monthly premium. If you have
                          Medicare Part B coverage, you must
                          continue to pay the premium. If you
                          want to end your Part B coverage, you
                          must request it in writing."

                          93 months is a really long time. That's what, almost eight years! I hadn't seen that before.
                          If you were working with VR in the past, your Ticket very well might have been assigned to them. VR typically dismisses your case after 90 days of employment. It may be beneficial for you to assign your Ticket to an Employment Network after that. The Ticket To Work program is a voluntary program that allows you to access services from either the state Vocational Rehabilitation agency or an Employment Network (EN) of your choice to help you reach your employment goal. When you work with VR or assign your Ticket to an EN, develop a plan, and continue to make timely progress toward employment, SSA will not conduct a continuing medical review. I know of many ENs that have employees who specifically help people with questions like you're having about what will happen to your benefits both short and long-term. They can help you past employment as it sounds like you already know and are achieving your goals.

                          2drwhofans is correct in his/her posts. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help explain it more and provide you with resources!
                          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

                          Comment


                            #14
                            When you get to the point of filing an income tax return, give some time and thought to "work related medical expenses". Many years ago I used to list all those expenses under "Other expenses" on Itemized Deductions page, instead of "Medical" expenses - which only allows a small percentage deduction! The "Other" expenses are a full deduction. I found this out by carefully reading up on it in a tax manual.
                            Such a tax return will probably result in a refund, and believe me, you are going to need all angles to preserve your earnings due to unexpected needs and things like equipment, devices, etc., etc.
                            Keep a good record of any out of pocket disability related expenses that are not covered by other sources.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I completed the 9 month TWP, 1.5 years ago and yes, got 2 or 3 months more of SSDI payments , called a bunch of times to be sure they STOPPED benefits which they did after the 12 months. Make sure you contact Medicare and pay the monthly premiums. Yes - you can stay on Medicare for 8 years. Ironically, I went to work for SSDI as a medical consultant -so I have been on both sides of the coin. The ability to stay on Medicare, if necessary, is a great benefit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X