Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private disability insurance for the disabled going back to work... is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private disability insurance for the disabled going back to work... is it possible?

Hey,

So I'm on SSD right now, but I will be going back to work next year. I've had disability insurance through school because it was required for the past three years, but next year I think I will have the option of continuing my school disability insurance throughout my career and it got me thinking. Oh, and I guess it's relevant that I have a complete spinal cord injury.

1. Will they even cover me?

I mean I guess I could probably beat them into submission with an army of lawyers if something totally unrelated happened, but probably the most likely scenarios would be at least loosely related to my "preexisting" SCI so I'm assuming they would just deny it, and I'd be paying all those premiums for nothing. Anybody have experience using private disability insurance that you acquired after your injury?

2. Does "good" private disability insurance exist for us?
    Maybe not through the random insurance company my school makes me buy it from. Anyone know of any good insurance companies? It's likely that my job will have some sort of group policy that I could buy into, but jobs seem so transient and temporary these days I'd rather have something I can take with me.

3. What about social security?

I heard years ago that if you have something serious like an SCI and you go back to work (therfore losing SSD) you can get back on it just by not working, and you don't have to prove any exacerbation or "new" disability. Am I right about that? Anyone have any experience working for a time and then going back on disability? Is there a waiting period like the six months to get on it to begin with?

Basically I'd like more coverage than Social security offers, because while I've been able to scrape by on my wits, scholarships and student loans for the past few years, I don't like the idea of finding myself later in my life trying to survive on $800 a month in social security again.

All experience, suggestions, answers are appreciated!

Thanks

I'm 21 years post and have worked at 3 different places since my injury. I've been covered by each company's insurance and never been rejected or coverage limited due to a pre existing condition (SCI). I do not have any additional medical insurance besides my insurance thru work.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

I would find it extremely unlikely that you would be able to find a private individual long-term care or disability insurance that would cover you with a SCI. I actually got turned down for benign familial tremor, even though I am AB.

On the other hand, if you have the option of getting a group plan through an employer (such as the federal government) you are very likely going to be able to covered by that. If it is available, sign up.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Once the exchanges open up again you will have no problem finding coverage. Now it's true under the obamacare program they don't cover some medications. But sci is no problem.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I guess one of my main concerns is that a company would happily take my premiums each year and then if I ever needed the insurance say "Oh, look here at clause 14b.3.1 subsection 29 in the fine print it says we don't have to pay you because you were already disabled when you signed up... have a nice life".

Does anyone have any experience receiving benefits from a private disability insurance plan that you purchased (or got from your employer) post injury?

Comment

While I was already working with my company when I acquired my disability, I married my husband in 2009 (who has an SCI/TBI since 1988) and we never received any hassle about him receiving benefits or anything like that. Not once did they say sorry...he was injured prior to being covered by you.

Although not the same situation...it is similar enough to give you my experience.
            "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Just get the details from your company how it all works and "fits" together. I used up all Short term in no time I "ate" the LTDI up as well. The short time was changed to long term doe to length of time. My LTDI had a $2 MILLION cap on it. That was eaten up as well. Then I ended up on SSDI which I guess will be on till I am 65.

Comment

Yes, I bought a plan from Assurant and have had no problems. I bought it last year not on the exchange. If you buy it off the exchange you will be subsidize for your premium and it will be cheap. Your prior sci will have no effect on claims.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
                  Yes, I bought a plan from Assurant and have had no problems. I bought it last year not on the exchange. If you buy it off the exchange you will be subsidize for your premium and it will be cheap. Your prior sci will have no effect on claims.
                  Rainman,

Are you talking about medical insurance or disability insurance? Is there some sort of exchange for disability insurance as well?

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliecoach View Post
                    While I was already working with my company when I acquired my disability, I married my husband in 2009 (who has an SCI/TBI since 1988) and we never received any hassle about him receiving benefits or anything like that. Not once did they say sorry...he was injured prior to being covered by you.

Although not the same situation...it is similar enough to give you my experience.
                    Thanks, this seems promising.

Comment

Re: "3. What about social security?
                      I heard years ago that if you have something serious like an SCI and you go back to work (therfore losing SSD) you can get back on it just by not working, and you don't have to prove any exacerbation or "new" disability. Am I right about that? Anyone have any experience working for a time and then going back on disability? Is there a waiting period like the six months to get on it to begin with?"

Look into Social Security's TICKET TO WORK program . http://www.ssa.gov/work/ . It allows you to try and return to work earning your full salary and benefits while still reciving full monthly SSD benefits during the trial time period. The website also explains about how to get re-instated in SSD if things don't go as planned.

If you are starting a new job that offers company benefits like health insurance, long term disability and long term care insurance, you should eligible for them at hire with no medical underwriting. Make sure to check the exact deadline for signing up.

Best of luck to you !

Comment

I was talking about health ins.. But I also bought disability ins. through them too.

Comment

Some time after retirement my employer-sponsored health insurance, BC/BS, became 2nd payer, Medicare first payer for medical issues. Then, I received a solitation from employer-related LTD plan and jumped at the application - we are two disabled couple. The rates were reasonable. Filled out page one successfully, the turned the page over to page 2 and first question there was (I'm not kidding): 'Are you in a wheelchair or use a wheelchair?" "If the answer to this is Yes, do not continue, you will not be eligible for LTD".
                          Meanwhile, this same plan literature stated 'you will not need to fill out these questions if you are still currently employed (with this employer).'

My thought is that if your employer offers LTD while you are employed, take it, if only to provide a transition income until you receive SSDI. The LTD company may make you coordinate with eventual SSDI benefit amount. That would be important to check as you stated you want an income stream in addition to the SSDI. These things can be checked out with the company person who handles insurance. I would want them to help you get something in writing from the LTD company before signing up for it.

P.S. If you are paralyzed, sitting in a wheelchair, you will get SSDI if you leave the work world. Also I believe your benefit check continues for about a year and a half after employment starts - you should let SSDI rep know your list of expenses like transportation, devices, equipment, etc. that you need to get.
                          I used to deduct such expenses on tax return under "Other", not "Medical" which only allows a percentage.

Comment

My husband who has been a quad since 1985 went back and got his degree and worked for EDS and Hewlett Packard for 16 years. He had both long and short term disability policies. A few years ago he began having major problems with a Charcot joint in his spine and a tethered cord which has resulted in severe central pain which has prevented him from going back to work. His physician had to submit documentation quite frequently at first but once he was approved for disability under Social Security his doctor has only had to send an update after 2 years so far. His disability claim was not due to his paralysis but due to the new issues which had occurred that resulted in his inability to work. He didn't have any difficulty getting approved even though his issues are a direct result of having the original spinal cord injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonko's Mom View Post
                              My husband who has been a quad since 1985 went back and got his degree and worked for EDS and Hewlett Packard for 16 years. He had both long and short term disability policies. A few years ago he began having major problems with a Charcot joint in his spine and a tethered cord which has resulted in severe central pain which has prevented him from going back to work. His physician had to submit documentation quite frequently at first but once he was approved for disability under Social Security his doctor has only had to send an update after 2 years so far. His disability claim was not due to his paralysis but due to the new issues which had occurred that resulted in his inability to work. He didn't have any difficulty getting approved even though his issues are a direct result of having the original spinal cord injury.
                              I'm sorry for your husband's new health issues, but I am glad to hear that disability kicked in eventually. It seems that the insurance companies are fairly reasonable from what people have been saying thus far.

Comment

Working...
                              X