auto insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto insurance

I just switched my auto insurance to Allstate. I have always paid extra for the modifications to my van. I was very surprised when the Allstate agent told me that they don't charge extra for that. She said that they don't charge extra as long as the modifications are permanently attached to the vehicle. They wouldn't add language to the policy stating that, but I have several emails saved where they promise that my modifications are covered. I'm still doubtful but has anyone else heard this?

I'm in Tucson.....costs me $118/6 mos more for $25k coverage with State Farm.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

It's true. I use to be a Allstate agent. I went to work for another company but kept my Allstate policy because of that.

Comment

True here too....we have modifications on both of our vehicles and none needed extra coverage for them.
        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

I have Geico and pay nothing extra for the $25,000 of modifications my van has. The rep told me they consider hand controls, ramps, etc to be safety modifications (I.e. Make you a safer driver) so no additional cost.

Comment

Originally posted by sledgrl View Post
            I have Geico and pay nothing extra for the $25,000 of modifications my van has. The rep told me they consider hand controls, ramps, etc to be safety modifications (I.e. Make you a safer driver) so no additional cost.
            I would double check on that. In Florida Geico does charge extra for those items. It could be a state law there but I would double check to be sure. Some new agents can make mistakes.

Comment

I'm in Georgia and my auto insurance doesn't charge me more for my hand controls.
              SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
              T4,5,6 Incomplete
              Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

Make sure what you find out what they're gonna pay for if you file a claim. I just got off the phone with an agent who could quote me the 25k but all they'll pay out is 4k. I'm not sure if it's tied to the value of the vehicle but I'm checking on that. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they're not giving stuff away for nuthin'; ESPECIALLY, insurance companies!

r
                Rick Goldstein
                GO! Mobility Solutions
                facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by goldnucs View Post
                  Make sure what you find out what they're gonna pay for if you file a claim. I just got off the phone with an agent who could quote me the 25k but all they'll pay out is 4k. I'm not sure if it's tied to the value of the vehicle but I'm checking on that. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they're not giving stuff away for nuthin'; ESPECIALLY, insurance companies!

r
                  x2.

I'm skeptical until I see it in writing.

Comment

I'm not talking about hand controls. I'm referring to the lift and lower floor.

Comment

In ny and have progressive and i don't pay extra for hand controls.
                      T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

[QUOTE=TheRainman;1738606]I would double check on that. In Florida Geico does charge extra for those items. It could be a state law there but I would double check to be sure. Some new agents can make mistakes.[/

when end I got policy I had to give them the value of each modification (transfer seat, ramp, kneeling system, hand controls, etc) and send in proof from the van place showing cost and verifying they were really installed on my car. Every 6 months when my policy renews it comes with a list of the modifications & original value...a chance for me to let them know if the modifications have changed. The explanation of costs lists "custom modifications" with $0 for what it costs to be part of my policy.

Comment

Yep, I am an Allstate customer also and the policy does cover the permanent hand-controls and does not cover my portables.

Comment

Working...
                          X