No announcement yet.

Anyone here using California state insurance for caregivers?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone here using California state insurance for caregivers?

    I live in Arizona and went to my sister's wedding in California where I get to visit my extended family, my father, my 2 sisters on his side and my nephew for the 1st time. It had been a decade since I've been out there. My sister got married in California because it's legal for her to marry her Girlfriend there. In Arizona the only family I have is my mother, one sister out of 4 and of course my stepdad who my mom is considering leaving. I would either need to move into a facility (mainly because I have seizures on top of my spinal cord injury and the last one almost killed me) or considering I haven't had a seizure in a year rent a place with my mom. If I did either one of those I'd need help with getting caregivers financially not to mention with just plain medical insurance considering I use Arizona long-term care insurance. So my question is does anyone here live in California and use state insurance both for health insurance and caregiver?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

    Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

  • #2
    When you say you are using AZ long term care insurance are you referring to Medicaid (ALTEC) and Medicare? Or are you referring to a private private insurance, long-term care insurance, or worker's comp??

    To come to California, you would have to 1) establish residency (at least 30 days) and then 2) apply for Medi-Cal (Medicaid) in the county in which you are living, and wait for approval of that. This can take 2-3 months sometimes. You can also apply for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) for attendant care, but that program has had huge cuts recently, and is currently threatened with more cuts, so I would not venture to guess how many hours you would get approved for. You have to be in the home in which you will be living to have the social worker come to your home, do your evaluation, and then submit for the number of hours of care that they recommend and fit within regulations. Depending on your income, you could also have a share of cost for either/or Medi-Cal and IHSS. You would then need to find PCAs who would work for the IHSS rate (minimum wage)...most counties do not cover agency staff for this.

    Similarly, if you were to want to go to a nursing home, you would have to already have Medi-Cal (with the above requirements) and then try to find a nursing home that would accept you. It is not easy to find one which will take Medi-Cal patients who are SCI, esp. if you want to be in a specific geographic area.

    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.