No announcement yet.

information for disability benefits and work opportunities

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • information for disability benefits and work opportunities

    I am an Indian female, 32 years of age, live in Mumbai. Quadriplegic-C5 since 2003.

    Presently I am in Seattle, U. S. for next few months. I am applying for the Green Card and later for the citizenship after few years.
    Can you please share some information to me on WHAT BENEFITITS and WORK OPPORTUNITIES WOULD I get if I get approved with a green card and citizenship later?

    ALSO I would like to mention that I am not physically independent. I need assistance for my bladder, bowel, monthly periods cleaning and day-to-day activities. Do I get any aid for my daily routine needs and will they be paid under the disability benefits?
    thank you.

  • #2
    can some1 reply n guide me?


    • #3
      Are you working with an immigration lawyer already? You are going to find it difficult to get a green card or apply for citizenship if you have a major physical disability, esp. if you are planning to apply for state or federal disability programs (SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.). If you are currently in the USA on a student or tourist visa, you may be required to return to your own country in order to apply for a permanent resident or other type of visa.

      In addition, even if you do get by the restrictions for immigration and permanent residency with a disability, you may be barred from eligibility for federal programs such as these for 5 years or more after establishing permanent residency. Your sponsor, if you have one, may even be required to provide you with financial support and their income may be counted against any financial eligibility for these programs.

      Here is some information about this:

      I would strongly encourage you to seek the advice of a qualified immigration attorney ASAP before you make assumptions about your eligibility to even get a green card or apply for citizenship.

      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.


      • #4
        Good suggestions from SCI-Nurse. Also you may consider contact with a local Center for Independent Living, these centers are non-governmental resource organizations staffed partly by disabled persons to assist disabled individuals with advice in navigating help in the community. They are specifically there for assisting disabled individuals become or maintain independence.


        • #5
          Thanks for the advice. YES, I am seeking guidance from an immigration lawyer and he also had the same opinion.
          YES, I am in U.S. on a tourist visa now. I am having C5 SPINAL CORD INJURY and was looking for getting SSI.
          thank you. I guess I would rethink before assuming or doing anything.


          • #6
            thanks. I will definitely check it out in my locality.