Thinking of getting on SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting on SSDI

I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed. the office carpet i roll on all day wears me out. sometimes i have to leave the office to see clients and such. one day i put my chair together and took it apart 26 times. as much as i want to work and actually make money and live comfortably, im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

well, if not having to take your chair apart so many times, you might be less worn out at the end of the day. what if you got a vehicle that allowed you to keep your chair whole? or maybe if worked part time from home?

Comment

Well, not much to add other than I know where youre coming from. Full time here for some 12 years now. Not much labor involved at my job, but the 8 hours plus commute plus SCI stuff doesn't leave much in the way of 'enjoy' time. Been considering bailing on the work world quite often lately.

On a note about SSDI, no federal tax up to 25K, and no FICA, so that'll boost the take home amount up some for comparison to what you are making now. Might make for a sufficient retirement amount if you have everything else paid off, and other income or savings.

Comment

I can't match the 26 times putting my chair together, but I recently got a ZX1 because rolling to and from work was killing me. It has made a big difference in the amount of energy I have and my ability to get stuff done. Maybe power assist would help.

Originally posted by joshstevens7 View Post
        I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed. the office carpet i roll on all day wears me out. sometimes i have to leave the office to see clients and such. one day i put my chair together and took it apart 26 times. as much as i want to work and actually make money and live comfortably, im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks

Comment

Is there a relation to how much SSDI you would get to how much Social Security you will get if you make it to retirement age?

Comment

At 35 years old (profile), you should contact your local Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and meet with them. They are much easier than working with the feds and will try to help you. If you are working or want to go to school, they will help you with a chair and, if needed, modify a vehicle for you. I was using a power chair, so they paid for modifications to my van, a 2010 Chrysler Town and County. The modifications were around $22,500 but you have to buy your own vehicle. My quality of life skyrocketed after getting this van as I do my own driving and the only limit I have is how long my chair batteries will last.

You can check with SSDI but if you can work, I would work and not bother with SSDI yet.

Good luck.
            Millard
            ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
              I can't match the 26 times putting my chair together, but I recently got a ZX1 because rolling to and from work was killing me. It has made a big difference in the amount of energy I have and my ability to get stuff done. Maybe power assist would help.

how do you get the zx1 out of the car aren't they big and heavy ive been contemplating one of those or the smart drive
              to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

I don't, I use it in SF to get around and don't have a car there. I have looked into it however and there are some fairly cheap things made for mobility scooters that slot into a trailer hitch for about 300 bucks.

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
                how do you get the zx1 out of the car aren't they big and heavy ive been contemplating one of those or the smart drive

Comment

Check out these sites and see if the gears in your head start turning other directions:

https://weworkremotely.com/
                  http://www.flexjobs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                    Is there a relation to how much SSDI you would get to how much Social Security you will get if you make it to retirement age?
                    Depends what age you retire. 67 will be comparable, 70 will be more, 62 much less.

The SS website lets you create an online account to get an instant printout of what the #' are based on where you are work-wise, with the SSDI and regular retirement amounts.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, disability is about 100 bucks less a month that retiring at 67 and 700 less a month than 70. Retiring at 62 is 700 bucks less a month than disability, so if I decide to "retire" I should probably go SSDI around 60, unless I want to work till I am 70.

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Depends what age you retire. 67 will be comparable, 70 will be more, 62 much less.

The SS website lets you create an online account to get an instant printout of what the #' are based on where you are work-wise, with the SSDI and regular retirement amounts.

Comment

I know that feeling. Worked full time for 26 years as a C-4/5, the last few years I was so beat that sometimes I skipped dinner to get straight to bed.

I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed.
                        Yeah, I had the same struggle "live to wok -- or work to live," definitely not happy with my lifestyle at the time. I tried part-time work for a few years, then got approved for SSDI. I still work part-time and now and have Medicare. Lost my work insurance after two years on COBRA.

I had enough work "credits" that my SSDI was equal to my full SS at age 66. With my retirement savings and my wife working part-time, we are getting by OK. Loss of a good salary was a big adjustment, make no doubt. But I was in my late 50's when I started SSDI. You may want to think about talking to a SS counselor. Luck of the draw if you get an idiot drone or someone who actually cares and may help you look for a less demanding job.

Best of luck!

Originally posted by joshstevens7
                        im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks

Comment

I'm totally shocked about the 26 transfers related to field work for your job. Shoulders, shoulders, shoulders!
                          That said, you would probably get SSDI with no problem, but if you think you want to continue working, please consider voc. rehab., get "driver evaluation" which would probably indicate a full sized or mini van. (if mini-van a zx1 or smartDrive would help you get up those ramp entries on mini-van). Request voc. rehab help with van equipment and maybe downpayment, in addition to a zx1 or SmartDrive. You may not want to change your "image" with a van, but consider these things as preserving what you treasure...yourself.

Comment

well its now bee 1 1/2 months on unemployment. i am looking for the right job to come along. i want to be passionate about me job now. i am tired of working at something i dont care to do. i talked to voc rehab and they said if i get back on ssdi they will pay for me to go back to school and get my masters degree. i am thinking about doing that and becoming a counselor. i would love to work with the disabled like myself. i feel things happen for a reason and i am like this to help others like me. i dont know what to do. i was making about 50k a year and had 2 insurances and was living a stable financial life. i wasnt making a ton of money but i was getting my bills paid and a lil left over to do whatever with. i still have about 4k in student loans to pay off and about same with credit card. i own my home with a mortgage and both cars are paid off so that is good. im just in the struggle right now to figure out what i am suppose to do with my life

i have thought about trying to get on with human trials somwhere. about ready to sacrafice my body for the greater good. lol i am tired of my neuropathic pain in my legs and ready to figure out how to stop this pain. if i could stop this pain i would be so much happier and in a better mood all the time. thought about getting a stimulator put in and see if that works. i am thinking about going and seeing a counselor or psychiatrist to help me with this transistion to what i should do next. i dont want to live poor but i dont want to work at a job i hate. i am ready to find what i am suppose to do with my life.
                            Josh S.
                            T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Comment

Josh, who currently is your health insurance? Remember that if you take SSDI that the cost of Medicare Part B come out of your checks. Medicare Part B premiums are based on your previous years Modified Adjusted Gross Income off your 1040 form. You have a great year by winning the jackpot, an elderly, grouching uncle twice removed dies and leaves it all to you it may not count as taxable to the IRS but it will be used to calculate your Part B. No idea about Part D we both have DOD as equal or better.

Josh, I'd get a summer season job if possible and fry the credit card and college debt in order of highness of interest. Then go on SSDI if yo think that is best and you'll only have house payments while going to school.
                              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                              X