cc fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cc fraud

Hey - so how do you guys protect yourself from cc fraud? I'm sure there's nothing out there to protect one from being a victim except to use cash all the time. But are there any tips to minimize fraudulent charges? I recently had my mastercard used for purchases in florida -- the cc noticed and called me and closed the account. This is the first time this has happened to me and I thought I was ok since I don't use my debit card (rarely). Besides using cash is there anything else I can do?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

I've heard debit cards can be hacked a lot more easily than credit cards.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Watch your credit card bills for purchases you didn't make and immediately call their lost or stolen number. Then explain and they'll send you to their fraud group. They'll find out if the card was swiped or used online or by phone for the purchase. Then they cancel the card immediately, tell you to cut yours up and insist they overnight your new on. Yea, haven't been to Texas since 1983 and someone managed to swipe my number through at a Walmart down there. You do not pay for fraudulent charges.

You are allowed one free credit file review from each of the 3 major bureaus annually. To watch for any new credit applications you didn't file have a check done of one bureau every 4 months. They tend to have the same information. No, they do not need to give you your credit score free just the report. Your credit card company may be able to help on credit reports after your experience, WTF.

My local bank has a shredder for customer use. Once bills are paid or paid and scanned to a tax program head to the bank and shred bills, envelopes and anything not necessary to keep for taxes. Or buy a home shredder but one that does more than cut things into long strips. You want confetti and if you back things financial up on CDs you'll want a shredder than can chew them up too.

If you are pretty much a stay at home type you can have your card flagged for in state usage only for swiping. This is easy to reverse for a trip else where if you decide to roam. Or if you always use one card only for online purchases that can be flagged also. And anytime you are out of town have your mail held. It's a quick trip to the nearest post office to stop it and the same when you go to collect it.

Never, ever give out any credit card information or social security numbers to anyone who calls you! Same with emails that say "click here" and look legit. Call the company and ask if your email has been getting phishing invitations.
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I use google wallet. You basically get a mastercard you can fill from your bank account. So the most you can lose is what you have in the wallet account.

Originally posted by wtf View Post
        Hey - so how do you guys protect yourself from cc fraud? I'm sure there's nothing out there to protect one from being a victim except to use cash all the time. But are there any tips to minimize fraudulent charges? I recently had my mastercard used for purchases in florida -- the cc noticed and called me and closed the account. This is the first time this has happened to me and I thought I was ok since I don't use my debit card (rarely). Besides using cash is there anything else I can do?

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          I use google wallet. You basically get a mastercard you can fill from your bank account. So the most you can lose is what you have in the wallet account.
          Is there something like Google Wallet for the older, unplugged in generation? I know there are cards out there you can buy with specific amounts on them but how about reloadables? Dad has no interest at all in any new fangled technology other than his HD TV and remote. He did figure out a smart phone but thought it a terrific waste of money for a car emergency type user. I'm thinking of more home help that includes grocery shopping for the debit type card.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I reactivated my account here to REALLY help all above and anyone else. First if you use ANY accounts online where money is used/accessed buying, selling, saving, viewing or any other financial transactions DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD for any account. Make sure each and every is unique. Make sure it is a mix of character, upper and lower, number AND special character if the sight allows special character.. Most sights use your email address as your User Id so that is tough. Make sure you change each and every password periodically so they are not the same forever. You can buy a product like Norton 360 which will manage logins you setup. As stated above, immediately tell company they are fraud charge(s) and are not yours. This makes it difficult initially to remember passwords. If you come up with a technique of combining the above and associating to the site/financial institution, you will quickly begin to remember them and not keep looking at a printout of them.

Comment

If credit card truly is fraud, institution will have a time frame in which they are required to have been told fraud. It should be at least 1 "statement" cycle in which they must be notified. A credit card company will reverse all fraud as well as any interest you may have incurred during that period of fraud transaction to them being notified.

Comment

In addition, anything that you buy and is shipped t you via something like UPS, on those packages you should have and black non erasable marker in your possession. Cross out ALL of your shipping information about you as well as any barcodes on the package before you throw it into the trash. I have heard of 1 clown who somehow put stuff back together from a shredder. Whenever I put paper in my shredder, I load it in at an angle so it is shredded that way as well.

Comment

Debit cards CAN be hacked. There are 2 ways a debit card can be used. ! way is where you are using the card and executing the transaction without being required to enter PIN. My grocer has a checkout where you can have the transaction executed like a credit card and requiring the PIN, or a direct financial transaction immediately processed against your bank account, This does not require PIN. I have never seen this type online.

Comment

You are asking the wrong guy

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                    Is there something like Google Wallet for the older, unplugged in generation?

Comment

You missed my point, anything can be hacked. The reason I like the google wallet is I load a specific amount of money on it, and that is the limit to what I can lost if I lose that card.

Originally posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
                      Debit cards CAN be hacked. There are 2 ways a debit card can be used. ! way is where you are using the card and executing the transaction without being required to enter PIN. My grocer has a checkout where you can have the transaction executed like a credit card and requiring the PIN, or a direct financial transaction immediately processed against your bank account, This does not require PIN. I have never seen this type online.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                        You are asking the wrong guy
                        I figured even YOU might have an older parent around. I mean other than you know who......

Comment

Annualcreditreport.com will give you a free printable credit report from the 3 credit bureaus once a year. The best way to monitor current credit is by getting just one bureau's report every 4 months. If you are getting ready for a big purchase like a van or house then check all 3. You only get one free report a year from each and they do not give scores. But for most safety work you don't need a score.

I got a rather disturbing call this morning from someone who knew my name and address. They were calling about the malicious worm files I was downloading and the very foreign, my guess Slavic, accent I doubt he was calling from NY. He said he was calling about the Windows computer here and his company was "e-interpol" but he had no clue as to who the FBI is or Carnegie-Mellon. I forget the name of the worm except it ended in .xsf. Hung up on him and fired up that computer and checked the most current real and hoax viruses in North America and none sounded right. Checked all the area wireless names and saw the normal ones for the condo and the marina next door. But Vegoe The Destroyer is new. I'll talk to my ISP tomorrow. Got rid of two former names at different ISPs and locked it on WPA Home Network only. Mcafee had one urgent update and my real time scanning is on.

My credit reports are fine. We use shredders. We don't bank online minus a few emails none that have anything but my name in them. I had to change my bank card 3 months ago when it was swiped in a state I haven't been to in 31 years! And I got a phishing expedition that had the last 4 of my SSN in it. Add in a huge upswing in spam since January I am wondering what to do next.

Computer geeks? Ideas? I couldn't *69 him because my dentist called right after I hung up. Even our accountant that uses a secure encrypted portal for uploading files to him asks that no SSNs go through and those portals are what banks use. No, I do not shop at Target and we streamlined our financial life over a few years before we retired so we have fewer statements to go through.

Not a happy camper.

Comment

Sue, my guess is he has no access to your computer at all. Are you in the phone book? I suspect it was a cold call, hoping you would give him info or access.

Re, the card for your Dad I know they were marketing re-loadable debit cards for families to use with teens, to help them learn to manage money, and to allow them to go shopping, for clothes for example, but not allow them to go nuts with dad's cc. Ask at your bank about prepaid credit/debit cards.

I am assuming you are looking for a card he can give someone to shop for him, but limit the damage they could do if they turned out to be non-trustworthy or just careless?
                            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Sue,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/phone...s-reports/4198

He has no access to your computer, it is a scam going around.

T

Comment

Working...
                              X