when to discuss work accommodations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
    I overlooked the part about you already having the job. If that's the case, then yeah, give them a call and chat about it. 10:1 says it won't be a big deal.
    Thanks, scott, I'll probably do that.
    Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc View Post
      That's not quite accurate; I've never considered "not telling them." I am asking for advice on how/when to bring it up and what talking points to cover.
      Well, realistically what do you need in the way of accommodations? Is this a job where you sit at a desk all day and just need to be sure you have access to your desk, do you walk or are you in a wheelchair 24/7? Can you type or do you need speech recognition equipment? If all you need to to make sure you can get to your desk I would be pretty casual about it, there isn't much they need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc View Post
        That's not quite accurate; I've never considered "not telling them." I am asking for advice on how/when to bring it up and what talking points to cover.
        Sorry, I just want you to put your best caster forward (assuming you're in a chair).

The best thing to do is just call and tell your new boss tomorrow. I wouldn't beat around the bush, I'd just tell him/her.

Comment

Dan,
          I would not tell them until you can discuss it face to face. Because they won't know the real extent of what you might or might not need. And you don't want to scare them. Plus if they do fire you over your disability you'll have a better case against them.

Second, I know this wasn't your question but I am curious if you looked in to the factors of cost of living there? It's probably going to cost you double what it cost you in NC. The reason I am asking is I talk to a lot of people that move here to South Florida from NC. And some of them regret it because they didn't realize the cost to living here. They thought they were getting a raise and found out later it wasn't enough. And we don't have a state tax like California's 13%.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
            I would not tell them until you can discuss it face to face. Because they won't know the real extent of what you might or might not need. And you don't want to scare them.
            That's generally my thought process, but if he's already hired & in queue to start working with the company, it's past that point.

I'll never fully understand why companies think it's a good idea to hire someone without a face-to-face meeting.

Comment

That's generally my thought process, but if he's already hired & in queue to start working with the company, it's past that point.

I'll never fully understand why companies think it's a good idea to hire someone without a face-to-face meeting.
              No kidding. It has irritated our CFO but even with Skype or whatever I always fly someone in for face to face before hiring them. They do end up being weird meetings, you just kinda sit and BS with the person since you already have learned about their technical skills, experience whatever. But that is kinda the point, plus I never hire anyone who has dirty fingernails and there is no way to determine that over skype

Comment

Congrats on the new job Dan - it must be a good job to move from NC to CA. I can't wait to hear what you decide and how the move goes.
                T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

He is taking a different position within the same company that he presently works for and has worked for in the last several years. He had a face to face meeting with two employees on the "interview panel" but not his new boss.

Its not like they hired someone out of the blue via a skype interview.

I think it is a unique situation within his company.

But I do understand what you are feeling Dan. I have never taken even a new position at a familiar company without a face to face with the boss before the job offer.

Like T8 asked, what accomodations do you see yourself needing? Chances are your manager that has talked to the new boss has offered some insite as to your being "challenged" and more than likely they already discussed your ability to do the job or not before the others interviewed you. I showed up for one of my positions to find that they had replaced the flooring in the office because there were leftover screws in an old terminal. They didn't have to do that but they saw the risk. I even had to go through an "ergonomic" evaluation at several of my jobs. It just depends on the company I guess.

I am really excited for you. It sounds like a really exciting new adventure.
                  Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 10 Jun 2013, 1:15 PM.
                  T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X