Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability in Media and Marketing Feature on ABC News!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Disability in Media and Marketing Feature on ABC News!

    Great article in ABCNEWS.com today on "Huge Demographic Virtually Invisible in Media Wants to be Seen"

    It features really good info and perspectives from Nadine Vogel, a consultant on employment and marketing to consumers with disabilities, National Org. on Disabilities's Lawrence Carter Long and myself representing PhotoAbility,net.

    It was very exciting to see that the editors choose to make us (and my picture) the TOP story on the home page for the day! We are still as of this writing top story under Health and Business sections. I was actually very surprised the story got top billing. Been a great day.

    Obviously I am betting on and investing my entire life into making an impact in this area..via my company, but I wonder how long and how much more we need to sell this concept before it really takes off and becomes the "norm".

    here is an excerpt: from Vogel: "The assumption is the segment doesn't have money, that the segment doesn't have the same interests--such as maybe going on vacation--and then what we hear often as well from companies is, 'Well, if I do it 'wrong,' I'll get sued or I'll get in trouble so we'll just avoid it. It's easier,'" Vogel said.

    "Disability doesn't discriminate," she said. "It hits all income levels, all nationalities, all races. We tend to separate it, but you can't."

    Vogel said businesses are not capitalizing on a demographic that very much wants to be treated like any other.

    "People with disabilities are not a cause," Vogel said. "Say it like it is. This is a market that spends money and you want their business. Nobody is going to be offended by that. People with disabilities and their families want to be seen as contributing members of society, just like anyone else."

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/disab...9#.UaaH5kBJ6NO
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 30 May 2013, 1:35 AM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

    #2
    I want to give a shout out to Deb and say congratulations for having your very worthwhile contributions highlighted in the article on ABC News! It takes a lot of guts to start your own business, especially one that seeks to challenge societal values and promote inclusivity. Keep fighting the good fight. People here at CC are proud of you!

    If you haven't checked out Deb's website, you should: PhotoAbility
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

    Comment


      #3
      Congrats

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you Nikki! That was so nice.

        And Patton.

        It wasn't ALL about me though

        But thanks.
        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

        Comment


          #5
          Nice well balanced article. Thanks for sharing!

          But darn! Next time I'm in FL I want to go riding on an airboat!


          100

          Deborah Davis, founder and co-owner of PhotoAbility, at Cooper City Airboats in the Florida Everglades.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by chris-k View Post
            Nice well balanced article. Thanks for sharing!

            But darn! Next time I'm in FL I want to go riding on an airboat!


            100

            Deborah Davis, founder and co-owner of PhotoAbility, at Cooper City Airboats in the Florida Everglades.

            I certainly recommend it! They tied my chair to the floor and as you can see I have a home depot type brace strapping me into my chair!

            Funny thing is we did this shoot and sent them the images for free and they still didn't use them on their website to market to others that they could go and they had this accessible feature. Here are all the photos from the shoot. http://photoability.net/gallery/2-0.html I guess they don't really want us to come in droves! lol

            Most air-boats are not roll on like this one was. Perfect day!
            Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 31 May 2013, 4:37 PM.
            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
              I certainly recommend it! They tied my chair to the floor and as you can see I have a home depot type brace strapping me into my chair!

              Funny thing is we did this shoot and sent them the images for free and they still didn't use them on their website to market to others that they could go and they had this accessible feature. Here are all the photos from the shoot. http://photoability.net/gallery/2-0.html I guess they don't really want us to come in droves! lol

              Most air-boats are not roll on like this one was. Perfect day!
              And I was in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (that's where the old folks go on FL ) last year. Imagine 10 or more people showing up at the same time for a ride? I'd do it, but I doubt my wife would .

              Deb, no life preserver?

              In Boston this year a "duck boat" operator tried to get me on an accessible boat, but we didn't have the time.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
                I certainly recommend it! They tied my chair to the floor and as you can see I have a home depot type brace strapping me into my chair!

                Funny thing is we did this shoot and sent them the images for free and they still didn't use them on their website to market to others that they could go and they had this accessible feature. Here are all the photos from the shoot. http://photoability.net/gallery/2-0.html I guess they don't really want us to come in droves! lol

                Most air-boats are not roll on like this one was. Perfect day!

                You find that funny! I would find it funny if the county gave them a permit to strap people down like that for commercial rides. Plus the last thing they want to see is wheelchair bound people wanting rides. A defect in the strap or chair could cost them dearly.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by chris-k View Post
                  And I was in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (that's where the old folks go on FL ) last year. Imagine 10 or more people showing up at the same time for a ride? I'd do it, but I doubt my wife would .

                  Deb, no life preserver?

                  In Boston this year a "duck boat" operator tried to get me on an accessible boat, but we didn't have the time.
                  Nope, no life preserver. And the scary thing for me was the alligator! Did you see the pic..he was coming for my toes!

                  I did get on a "banana" inflatable in the KEYS AND THEY PULLED IT...I flew off and ended up under it. Truly a wonder I didn't break my neck again.

                  This felt very safe and secure. The operator was well trained.
                  "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hey Deb, I'm curious – is PhotoAbility taking off monetarily? I have two small commercial projects that could benefit from the use of some inclusive photos, but your license costs are outside of my workable budgets, especially when multiple images are needed. I can't imagine I'm alone with this issue.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                      Hey Deb, I'm curious – is PhotoAbility taking off monetarily? I have two small commercial projects that could benefit from the use of some inclusive photos, but your license costs are outside of my workable budgets, especially when multiple images are needed. I can't imagine I'm alone with this issue.
                      Scott, Thank you for letting me know your thoughts. Our pricing is set at about 75% of Getty Images. Which is where consultants/Advisers say we should be given the unique nature of the images. There are images from $20 in library, yet a photographer will look to be paid market rates for a quality image that is to be used for a inside cover with a large distribution or a national Advertising campaign. Pricing is based on usage.

                      Please send us a direct email with the images you are seeking, your usage details, and your budget perimeters and I will see what we can do to accommodate.
                      I want to support fellow entrepreneurs as much as possible as well. I feel that is very important that we all work to bring each other up.

                      We also discount for Advocacy organizations.

                      I look forward to hearing from you and working with you.
                      Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 2 Jun 2013, 3:29 PM.
                      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I'll be in touch, thanks Deb.

                        Should I use the contact info here? --> http://photoability.net/contact.html

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Wonderful progress Sherocks!
                          As Castaneda noted in 'Yqui' book, "Follow the path that has a heart".

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                            I'll be in touch, thanks Deb.

                            Should I use the contact info here? --> http://photoability.net/contact.html
                            You can reach me at info@photoability.net

                            looking forward to seeing your selections!

                            Thanks!
                            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by triumph View Post
                              Wonderful progress Sherocks!
                              As Castaneda noted in 'Yqui' book, "Follow the path that has a heart".
                              Nice quote!

                              Thank you for the encouragement ..we are still very much a work in progress...any suggestions always welcome.
                              "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X