Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't mean to be nosey but......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    You should. Get one of those percentage back (I like Chase Freedom) cards and buy anything and everything with it. 1% minimum cash back, it adds up.

    Debit cards are scary. I've had to have CC numbers changed 4 times already due to fraud. If that fraud hit my checking account...I'd be on the hook for it. The CC company eating the fraud is much better.
    Do you pay for everything with your CC and then turn around and immediately pay your CC off with your debit card?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by IsMaisin View Post
      I've had USAA for over 20 years. When I retired from the Army, they did not raise my rates even though I am technically unemployed. That may be just a specific company policy.
      Some of the criteria's used such as employment is only used to place you in the right tier. The better of the tier, the lower of premium. USAA have very good rates. Hard to beat. And not all companies usethe same criteria's. That why one person might place better with one company and not the other.
      Last edited by TheRainman; 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by betheny View Post
        I don't do credit. No credit card, 1 debit. I save up and pay cash. My Dad was a financial wiz and before he died he told me "You'll never be rich enough for a credit card or a car payment. So don't do it." Also I'm widowed. Nobody will marry me to lower my car insurance premiums. (This is an assumption. Nobody asks me on dates so I assume marriage is off the calendar.) I don't own a home b/c I don't want to be tied down w/ real estate and the maintenance would be a huge chore for me alone. Getting rid of my house in OK aged me 5 yrs LOL. I hope to rent a condo in Santa Fe when I get there. I worked religiously until I became disabled. I don't have the dexterity to do my old job. Have done some pretty impressive volunteer type stuff, if I do say so myself. If I found a job I'd lose medicare and I doubt ppl are lining up to insure my medical needs. So am I just screwed when it comes to car insurance?

        How do I get the damage my kids did to my insurance rating cleared?
        Were your kids listed on your policy, or did you loan them your car?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by november View Post
          Do you pay for everything with your CC and then turn around and immediately pay your CC off with your debit card?
          Yep, no balance. Pay the card online via the checking account. Have no debit card associated with any account

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Yep, no balance. Pay the card online via the checking account. Have no debit card associated with any account
            I also pay cc online. I have debit card I do no use online; however, my bank has always covered any problems with either my debit card (I think there's only been 1 in 30 yrs) or my account (due to a person w/similar name). I think checking accounts daily is important. I also have my 2 cc accounts set up to notify me via e when a charge occurs.

            btw, interesting thing I've been told along the way: credit rating ppl don't actually like it if you do pay off cc every month. and, betheny, my son is on my auto ins. so far, his record, my employment or marital status has NOT affected my rates. the latter 2 I don't think I've even been asked. but my homeowner/auto ins are bundled, so I dunno if that matters.

            I goofed and left off NOT affected. sorry.
            Last edited by cass; 04-20-2013, 03:59 AM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by cass View Post
              btw, interesting thing I've been told along the way: credit rating ppl don't actually like it if you do pay off cc every month. .
              I heard that too, but something interesting came up the other day. Now the last loan records I have were all closed out back in '03, everything since then were just 0 balance CC stuff. I was at a car dealer and they ran a credit report with the 'FICO' scoring thing, I guess to make sure I wasn't going to write 'em a bad check or something. 815. I was surprised as I'm not really paying any debt for the last 10 years.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I heard that too, but something interesting came up the other day. Now the last loan records I have were all closed out back in '03, everything since then were just 0 balance CC stuff. I was at a car dealer and they ran a credit report with the 'FICO' scoring thing, I guess to make sure I wasn't going to write 'em a bad check or something. 815. I was surprised as I'm not really paying any debt for the last 10 years.
                Outstanding credit available is a big portion of the rating system.

                Comment


                • #38
                  ppl asking to see my credit report dropped my rating from 815 to 720 during my home refi yr or so ago. only for a couple months, but it pissed me off.

                  btw, I made a mistake in post above. I corrected it: marital status, employment has NOT affected my credit.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by cass View Post
                    ppl asking to see my credit report dropped my rating from 815 to 720 during my home refi yr or so ago. only for a couple months, but it pissed me off.

                    btw, I made a mistake in post above. I corrected it: marital status, employment has NOT affected my credit.

                    Credit inquiring don't have that type of effect on the score. Taking out the refinancing loan could. And when you inquire for a mortgage loan or refi. You have a 10 or 12 day grace period. Meaning any number of mortgage companies can run a credit check and it only counts as one as long as it's in the grace period. And the hit is only a few points. And btw, insurance inquiring's are considered soft hit and don't effect your score at all.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I only pay 380 / 6 months full coverage for my van insurance and that includes my conversions so I'm very happy with it

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
                        Credit inquiring don't have that type of effect on the score. Taking out the refinancing loan could. And when you inquire for a mortgage loan or refi. You have a 10 or 12 day grace period. Meaning any number of mortgage companies can run a credit check and it only counts as one as long as it's in the grace period. And the hit is only a few points. And btw, insurance inquiring's are considered soft hit and don't effect your score at all.
                        yeah, so I've been told but it happened. I get a credit report listing activity (negative and positive). that's what was listed.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by cass View Post
                          yeah, so I've been told but it happened. I get a credit report listing activity (negative and positive). that's what was listed.

                          How a FICO Score breaks down





                          The refi increased the amount you owe, which hurt your score.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
                            How a FICO Score breaks down






                            The refi increased the amount you owe, which hurt your score.
                            the refi decreased the principal/loan amount by a great deal as I applied money from investments toward it, decreasing my mortgage by more than i'll state here. suffice it to say, I am well below owing 30% of home value. besides, credit rating went back up 2 months later so I don't see that this explanation is adequate. absolutely nothing else changed; I had no new cc, loans, nothing. thanks for helping, though.
                            Last edited by cass; 04-21-2013, 02:49 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by cass View Post
                              the refi decreased the principal/loan amount by a great deal as I applied money from investments toward it, decreasing my mortgage by more than i'll state here. suffice it to say, I am well below owing 30% of home value. besides, credit rating went back up 2 months later so I don't see that this explanation is adequate. absolutely nothing else changed; I had no new cc, loans, nothing. thanks for helping, though.

                              My guess is, maybe you were excepted by several mortgage companies and they summited it to the credit bureau's and after you excepting one the one or others withdrew and that changed your score. Now that's just my thoughts. But I do know inquires don't have that type of effect.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                rainman, do you encourage ppl paying some company, like Experian, to monitor credit reports? I have been using them to monitor 3 major credit report companies for a couple yrs now. I have found it helpful, not very expensive. I know I can pull my own report once a yr but...I like the info they give me every 2-3 months, which is how I saw the drop in credit rating during refi.yr ago. what do you think? are these monitoring services worth it? I think so. like to keep a close eye on my personal finances. one time, yrs ago, a bank teller allowed a bank withdrawal from my checking by someone with a name similar to mine. while, I think it was a mistake and the bank credited me, I still had to close my chking acct and be inconvenienced due to a teller mistake. I watch everything daily now. well, actually I have been watching online for yrs prior to my catching this mistake. I still was told to shut down my bank accounts. why? the teller made the mistake. I just encourage ppl to check accts daily online, and if have cc, set them up to notify you via e of charges. I, literally, get an e from cap one and ba within minutes of a charge. thanks again rainman. your info is really helpful

                                oh, and watch paypal. I have never used them, but again, due to a name similarity, I was being told I owed over 3k yrs ago. I took care of it in one long phone call, was actually called a liar then profusely apologized to at the end. crazy. I have never had nor know how to use paypal acct. so...watch daily. I am not a victim of id theft. I don't respond to links (even from most friends) or phone calls. just be really careful. from what I gathered, the paypal thing was just a total screw up. never used it, don't even know how.
                                Last edited by cass; 04-22-2013, 04:11 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X