Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$450 for oil pan gasket replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    $450 for oil pan gasket replacement

    I went to get my oil change today and the guy there informmed me that I have an oil leak around the oil pan gasket and around the rear main seal. I stopped by a local shop to get an estimate and the mechanic told me $450 to replace the oil pan gasket and $750 for the rear main seal. The gasket is only $6 and the seal is $27. What the heck was this guy thinking? An oil pan gasket is not that difficult to do and he wanted to charge me $450. Is he doing this because he knows that I'm disabled and there's no way that I can do it myself?
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

    sigpic

    #2
    What are you driving? It makes a $$ difference. My neighbor has been trying to change a rear seal in a classic pontiac v8 without dropping the crank, but as of last check hasn't succeeded.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

    Comment


      #3
      I drive an 04 Infiniti i35. With the rear main seal they will have to drop the tranny to get to it. That's more work than the oil pan gasket. I still think $750 for the rear main seal is a little high. However, $450 for an oil pan gasket is just crazy. Only 8 bolts to remove the oil pan and he wanted $450.
      T3 Complete
      to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        Shop around.

        Originally posted by tinng321 View Post
        I went to get my oil change today and the guy there informmed me that I have an oil leak around the oil pan gasket and around the rear main seal. I stopped by a local shop to get an estimate and the mechanic told me $450 to replace the oil pan gasket and $750 for the rear main seal. The gasket is only $6 and the seal is $27. What the heck was this guy thinking? An oil pan gasket is not that difficult to do and he wanted to charge me $450. Is he doing this because he knows that I'm disabled and there's no way that I can do it myself?
        That happened to me too!

        My engine light kept coming on and my mechanic told me they needed to drop my van's engine and take the head off and power bead blast the ports that impurities built up inside the ports and head. He wanted some outrageous price of like $4800.00 to do the job.

        I went to the Volkswagen dealership and let them look at it. It was a corroded fuse holder that is located inside the engine compartment that controlled the emissions system. A $400 fix.

        I'd get couple of price quotes from different garages and dealerships.

        Ti
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by tinng321 View Post
          I drive an 04 Infiniti i35. With the rear main seal they will have to drop the tranny to get to it. That's more work than the oil pan gasket. I still think $750 for the rear main seal is a little high. However, $450 for an oil pan gasket is just crazy. Only 8 bolts to remove the oil pan and he wanted $450.
          It might be only a few bolts on the pan but on a lot of vehicles the engine has to be lifted for the pan to clear the oil pump pick-up, and lifting the engine often requires a lot of labor disconnecting/reconnecting components. That could explain the high quote.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
            It might be only a few bolts on the pan but on a lot of vehicles the engine has to be lifted for the pan to clear the oil pump pick-up, and lifting the engine often requires a lot of labor disconnecting/reconnecting components. That could explain the high quote.
            I have worked on Nissan maxima before my injury. Maxima and i35 are exactly the same. The oil pan on these cars are not that difficult. You don't have to lift any thing. Anyways, I'll bring it to another shop to have it check out.
            T3 Complete
            to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tinng321 View Post
              I have worked on Nissan maxima before my injury. Maxima and i35 are exactly the same. The oil pan on these cars are not that difficult. You don't have to lift any thing. Anyways, I'll bring it to another shop to have it check out.
              Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to any specific vehicle, only commenting that on some vehicles it can be a substantial amount of work.

              Comment


                #8
                WHat is under the oil pan? Steering rack? Subframe?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I was a technician for Ford before I got hurt. I had lots of training and was certified to do just about anything. Unless it's under warranty, they have to go through the books if it says it takes 2.5 hours no matter how long it takes them. If they didn't do that, imagine how much they could rip you off on a stupid the repair? It would be horrible. The going rate in Arizona per hour is about $135. It's called flat rate. One of the perks of being a dealership mechanic is that most of what I did was under warranty but had to include all of my diagnostic tests including specific details on my diagnosis but a lot of it was pretty much the same parts. If it's the oil pan gasket, you may also have to take down the exhaust pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds, lift the engine a little seeking get the oil pan away from the subframe or it may be something that looks releasable but there's a lot more to it than you'd expect. I've run into several oil pans that didn't have gaskets, just a silicone seal which takes forever to clean off both the oil pan and the engine block. With all that in mind, $450 does not sound too unreasonable. $750 to remove the transmission to replace to rear main seal sounds like a good deal to me and it's probably a seal that is one piece and doesn't require the oil pan to be removed or anything else, but it's just something that requires a special tool most of the time to get into place on the back of the crankshaft. Engines have come a long way since you had to remove the crankshaft to replace the rear main. Now it's just a one piece seal that goes there but still requires the transmission to be pulled out. I don't think they'll take advantage of you just because you're in a chair. Shops have to be reasonable and stick with how the books regulate the times, even if it takes a lot less time to do them what the book says. I hope this helps settle your mind a little on doing that.
                  Rear main


                  C-5/6, 7-9-2000
                  Scottsdale, AZ

                  Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Same ole.

                    Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                    That happened to me too!

                    My engine light kept coming on and my mechanic told me they needed to drop my van's engine and take the head off and power bead blast the ports that impurities built up inside the ports and head. He wanted some outrageous price of like $4800.00 to do the job.

                    I went to the Volkswagen dealership and let them look at it. It was a corroded fuse holder that is located inside the engine compartment that controlled the emissions system. A $400 fix.

                    I'd get couple of price quotes from different garages and dealerships.

                    Ti
                    I was told the same thing needed to be done when my wife's Jetta began giving her problems. The fix was similar to your's. The fuse to a fuel pump had a faulty connection.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ya, those quotes really are not that bad. Labor aint cheap these days nor is running a biz.
                      "Life is about how you
                      respond to not only the
                      challenges you're dealt but
                      the challenges you seek...If
                      you have no goals, no
                      mountains to climb, your
                      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've been screwed over several times by pepboys.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Here is what I would do. I would go on Craigslist and look under "Services/Automotive" and get a mobile mechanic. Most of the mechanics here in Gainesville charge $65 an hour for the first hour then $35 hour for each additional hour. The minimum charge is usually $65 plus parts. Pick one who is AFCME certified and check his references. Then get the estimate in writing. The guy I use comes to my house and works in my garage. I try to bundle a few minor repairs to make sure I get my $65 worth. I too used to work on my truck so I have a ball park idea of what the cost should be. It would take less than an hour to change an oil pan gasket so it would cost you $65 labor plus $4.50 for the gasket. The Honda dealership here quoted me a price of $950 to replace the electric cooling fan in my Honda Element. The mobile mechanic charged me $65 labor and $85 for parts.
                          NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER

                          Comment


                            #14
                            being disabled should not stop you from working on your car. I have changed my oil pan on RSX and you are right it is very easy to do just little messy. the rear main seal however can be little hard but if you have a garage, get some strong and tall jack stands with a creeper and you should be fine. once you unbolt the transmission, are you got to do is Pry Bar it and slides off.

                            Mechanics going to rip you off anyway no matter what, if you not going to do it yourself then shop around I am pretty sure you can find better deals.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Try Lucas oil stop leak. Don't use it all just about 1/4 or 1/3 of a guart in the oil.....they swell the seals up and have worked for me on several different engines. If it does not work you out only a few bucks.
                              Art

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X