Can't Decide What to Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
    Same with ours ... you must be the dispatcher supervisor then? They earn about $6000 more than the dispatchers as well. Secretaries earn less.

In that man-filled world where officers don't always make great managers but get there by seniority, ours was actually driven off. Management wouldn't support her and when she didn't provide a good answer to the dispatchers as far as wanting a day off - they'd go above her head. She just resigned after 13yrs on it ... the guy she competed with all those years ago is now our supervisor. I considered applying for that job but didn't ... didn't want THAT much responsibility after my illness. Might have given the other guy a run for his money though!

I have to admit it's nice and relaxed - things get done when they do (other than the dispatching duties which are the number one priority of course). The other was anal but excellent with every t crossed and every i dotted ... but she had no respect from anyone. Sad really as she struggles with money and is on her own too.

Betheny - a neat way to look at it. Fostering pays $1000 per month but I'd just put it away for the kid ... more than likely, a teen will move out on their own from me ... hard to place those ages. I'd love to help with homework and watch in the audience what they do at school, etc! I'd probably spoil someone! lol
    Yea im asssitant director, supervisor, and dispatcher when needed I do it all but i love it. I make about twice what.

Comment

That's great! I understood dispatchers earned less in the US .. we always marvelled at how they were barely paid above minimum wage. Things must have changed?

I'm at just below $60,000/yr right now with the last raise. They need to freeze it and let private sectors catch up really. You hate to be earning taxpayer monies and see others struggle.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

my lowest paid makes 12.00 an hour...

Comment

Last year i made right at 85,000

Comment

It's an excellent job. I don't see why more people in chairs don't go into it? Excellent pay, benefits and pension plus you're on an even playing field.

Those that are unedumacated like me at least!

Everyone's opinion seems to be go for the dayshift health thing.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

Ive often wondered why more people in chairs dont do it also....I am just like anyone else when im at work....

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth422 View Post
                Ive often wondered why more people in chairs dont do it also....I am just like anyone else when im at work....
                That puts me in mind of "Dispatch Jen" from Alabama too I believe.

Comment

is she on here? I haven't seen post from her. Maybe there are more wheelchair dispatchers than we know of.

Comment

I suppose you've looked into Canada's version of reasonable workplace accommodation.

I was originally going to say to stick with what you really love. I know when you enjoy your work the time flashes by, but if it's boring or tedious the clock seems to drag anchor.

However I remember what I had to do, that is resign myself to accept a fate of office paper pushing work instead of out with the construction crews where the action and hefty overtime was. Although still able to walk back then, my muscles have always been subject to some degree of partial or total paralysis, so indoor work was my only real choice. Your situation is different, but I'm understanding why people are saying health over money now. It is what I did.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

The accommodation factor came into it ... unfortunately my supervisor had already started a schedule with me on it ... had he not, I could have claimed the reasonable accommodation and worked the secretary job for the pay I'm making now.

That would have been grieved by the other secretary, but provincial legislation would have protected me - I think - never been tested before.

I don't want to be a jerk and play that card either.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabeth422 View Post
                        is she on here? I haven't seen post from her. Maybe there are more wheelchair dispatchers than we know of.
                        Seriously? I figured you were the same person .. not a big deal.

Comment

I think DJ turned out to be a fake.

Comment

no honestly im not I don't know her

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                              My advice would be pick quality of life over money every time.
                              Can't put it any better than that.

Comment

Okay then. Sorry. Not a big deal like I said.

So I fired off an email last night to the Deputy and asked if we could discuss this position (also copied my association rep). He thinks I'm crazy for not taking it ... I guess I agree though I'll miss that cash. I suppose I'll get used to it or take another job on weekends ... maybe something fun. I've always wanted to waitress! Seriously!!! Would have to be a big place with big aisles though. lol Or a cashier ... but they would have to lower the damn thing. Always so jealous I couldn't work those jobs in high school because of the lack of access.

Already joined the local astronomy club for a fun hobby ... would be nice to volunteer at the downtown mission or something. Be the change. That would be great - never had the time before! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X