No announcement yet.

Be careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make 1120 - 1200 a month, minus some deductions for out of pocket medical things which brings me down to about 950. Unless my check is 3 times a month, I have a conference or whatever. So about 2 - 3 times a year I went over.
    It's hard enough with 2 kids living on that. SSDI is a help and a PITA for someone like me who didn't pay in a lot being a stay at home mom for so long.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
      I make 1120 - 1200 a month, minus some deductions for out of pocket medical things which brings me down to about 950. Unless my check is 3 times a month, I have a conference or whatever. So about 2 - 3 times a year I went over.
      It's hard enough with 2 kids living on that. SSDI is a help and a PITA for someone like me who didn't pay in a lot being a stay at home mom for so long.
      Wish you all the luck in the world with this mess......GL
      Art

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
        You might consider enlisting the help of any constituent services offered by your member of congress and your Senators.
        It is a messed up system and has been for a long time.

I agree with FO, it is worth a try to attempt to get constituent services involved on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
          ?..how can you work and not be on the TWP?
          If they go by gross you be way over right?
          I have seen people lose it only making 200.00 a month.
          They dangle that carrot in your face then get you down the road.

;
          You have 9 months of TWP and for it to count as a month you have to make more than $720. But at the end of the TWP if you are making less than $1010 a month, you still keep your SSDI..

Does that make sense?

They used to do an average over the last 12 months to get your monthly income they use to see if you are over the $1010. I don't think they do that anymore because lots of people have been hit with overpayments for the months that they have three paydays in a month. The averaging system used to keep you from losing your benefits.
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Is this a state-by-state thing? If I ever made any money working, they deduct that from my disability check.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
              What are considered out of pocket medical deductions?

Comment

I would ask your employer if they could pay you monthly to stay under $1010.00. Does that make since?

Comment

Originally posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
                  You have 9 months of TWP and for it to count as a month you have to make more than $720. But at the end of the TWP if you are making less than $1010 a month, you still keep your SSDI..

Does that make sense?

They used to do an average over the last 12 months to get your monthly income they use to see if you are over the $1010. I don't think they do that anymore because lots of people have been hit with overpayments for the months that they have three paydays in a month. The averaging system used to keep you from losing your benefits.
                  Sorta....if you go over 80 hours a month you in trouble right?

I think best not to even work as it causes these problems.

I think they are going for her gross income myself.
                  Art

Comment

The key here is knowing which type of disability check you get-SSDI or SSI. SSI is supplemental security income. With SSI you can deduct medical, certain education expenses (with a specific type of program) and some other random expences. If you just get SSDI you can not make over $1,000 after your work trial period and you can not deduct medical expences etc. from your earnings to bring you down to the $1,000 cap. There are certain programs that offer some exceptions when you are on SSDI but they are very specific. Some people recieve both SSI and SSDI. If you receive both, then there are a whole different set of earning rules. Find an local Independent Living Center-they are often a great help and probably have someone who specializes in giving social security guidence
                    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Comment

I spent years responding to congressional inquiries. Contact telephonically and in writing the Chief of Staff for both your Senator and Congressman and ask they immediately contact the agency's legislative liaison regarding this issue. Explain to the staffer you and your children will be in dire straights and you are willing to talk to the media on this but first need their assistance. The agency will be contacted and your case will be reviewed and a detailed explanation and appeal process/options will be provided to your Senator/Congressman. As even a speedy response can take a couple of months, you need to call staffers on a weekly basis as the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Staffers pull a lot of weight so please use yours. Good luck.

Comment

I would hate to be in this Situation myself....ssdi and for the kids ssi does not pay enough so you have to take a job to get by then they give you grief.
                        At least you are trying to get by the cheapest way and work part time to get by and then they say they gona yank your ss checks because you make a few bucks to much.
                        Such a F up system....but they would give your kids medicaid if you do not work at all.
                        I mean what are you gona get by with.....with no money coming in and are you gona loose your ins?
                        In my case my ex got the kids ssi and I only got ssdi....she found someone real fast to marry her so she would not have to find a job...because medicaid ins. would force her to try and find one.
                        I paid the ins. out of my pocket the first year and after that she took me back to court to try and get more.
                        Thats when I found info my lawyer would not tell me because he would have to pay for it in taxes....like I told him she can work if she wants and you wont have to pay a dime.
                        What about the kids when she is at work...I said am home all day I'll take care of em.
                        Well that never happened as she found someone so his ins. took over for family plan.
                        Some people will not work no matter what you do to them.
                        Art

Comment

Originally posted by aidan416 View Post
                          The key here is knowing which type of disability check you get-SSDI or SSI. SSI is supplemental security income. With SSI you can deduct medical, certain education expenses (with a specific type of program) and some other random expences. If you just get SSDI you can not make over $1,000 after your work trial period and you can not deduct medical expences etc. from your earnings to bring you down to the $1,000 cap. There are certain programs that offer some exceptions when you are on SSDI but they are very specific. Some people recieve both SSI and SSDI. If you receive both, then there are a whole different set of earning rules. Find an local Independent Living Center-they are often a great help and probably have someone who specializes in giving social security guidence
                          You can deduct medical, this is incorrect information, read the redbook. It's late I'll reply to everything else tomorrow. I have SSDI.
                          http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redboo...supports.htm#3
                          Last edited by addiesue; 12 Sep 2012, 5:39 PM.
                          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Sad to say, but the government and private insurance diability systems are designed to beat the disabled down as far as possible. Pretty darn heartless. The good/bad news is that the mentally and emotionally disabled have it even worse, since it is at best "all in their head."
                            2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

What makes me mad is when I got hurt I made good money and got 10.00 from the max. in ssdi.
                              Today I think I should be the same....10.00 from the max....hell am like 500.00 short a month of that today.
                              So who gets the F..... ME
                              Art

Comment

Originally posted by Art454 View Post
                                Sorta....if you go over 80 hours a month you in trouble right?

I think best not to even work as it causes these problems.

I think they are going for her gross income myself.
                                Depends on how much you make an hour. You can't go over $1010 period.

You report your earnings monthly but the thing is...they may not review your case for 2 or 3 years. In my case, no one had actually looked at my file for 8 years. Even though I was reporting my income, no one actually did their job and input the the amounts. That is how you end up with an overpayment like Addiesue has. I reported everything religiously and sent back money when I knew I wasn't entitled to it. On the phone when I told them, they said well if you weren't eligible, you wouldn't receive it. But no one had reported that I had returned to work as it was laying in some paperwork pile in the local office. Now flash back to 2004 and I have re-create all my pay stubs etc to prove to them all the things I did at the time. I got meticulous with my paperwork as it is just a bad habit I have given the field I chose to work in. I have an 8 year journal with every person's name that ever talked to when reporting including time date and what we talked about. I also keep the slips with time and date stamp when I visit the offices. They don't like for you to do this for some reason but I insist.

In my case they went back to pre-2004 to review all my work history and you should see the letter they sent me. It is so scattered, you can't tell what I was entitled to. Thankfully I have all my tax forms that they send at the end of the year that reports what you have repaid and what you received. The amounts on the letter does not match the amounts on the tax forms to the tune of a difference of $20,000. I even question if the local office is embezzling. I am in my third year of trying to get some answers and I may never get any. I do have a hearing with an ALJ sometime soon but I am not hopeful as everyone I have talked to said it is useless to fight it. Apparently, this is a common thing for people who use TWP/ticket to work. The ticket to work program does not communicate with Social Security SHOCK! LOL You have to report to both places. I assigned my ticket and got money back from the ticket holders because I found my own job and did not participate in the program of them helping me return to work. If you google Ticket to work, you can see a whole range of nightmare stories from people who thought they were doing the right thing only to lose their entire benefits when having to leave their jobs because of health issues.

I have had to get a congressman involved twice to get the local office to do their job. Once in the 90's and once last year. A congressman only sends a letter and the office blacklists you for this. I think they get in some kind of trouble when a congressman inquires. There is also incentives for the offices that collect the most overpayments etc just like the VA.

I have worked for many years in the hospital side of Medicare. I knew there had to be some kind of manual out there for social security just like with Medicare and submitting claims. Last year I spent alot of time reading the program operations manual. It tells employees how to enter all the numerous codes in the computer. It also tells you what the employees won't tell you...

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/home!readform
                                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X