Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too rich, too poor...how do you pay for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, unfortunately Medicare Part B pays only for very limited SKILLED home care
    Exactly what I thought. 4 or 8 visits, then you're on your own dollar. BC/BS uses the same rules.

Even though I'm working, the fact that I'm over 66 does mean I could apply for Social Security. I wouldn't get my full amount until I do quit working, but I could use that money to pay for HHC. And, because I'm on SS, my wife's SS (she retired at 62) would increase to 1/2 mine.

The question is, does that increase my taxable income.

Comment

they pay for a quad guy here in tennesse......he has care come in and do his bowel and bath program......i was under the impression they would do it in every state, sorry........

Comment

do you need specialized or very personal care? if not, there must be plenty of people in your area who would love a nice part time job.

What about a high school senior? like the local work/study program or something like that?

Comment

We've got a friend who actually works as a caregiver at a nursing home. She will come in and do our laundry, shopping, errands, etc. She'll even help me take a shower. She knows what shes doing, and we feel safe dealing with her.

We can make arrangements with her to visit every other day. The problems are: she has her own life, and is not always dependable; and, whatever we pay her we cannot process thru our insurance, flex account, or claim on our income tax. We figure we'd need to pay her $600-800 per month, if not more.

So...back to my last question. Should I apply for SS now so our total income goes up, or is that going to just pay taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by willingtocope View Post
            We've got a friend who actually works as a caregiver at a nursing home. She will come in and do our laundry, shopping, errands, etc. She'll even help me take a shower. She knows what shes doing, and we feel safe dealing with her.

We can make arrangements with her to visit every other day. The problems are: she has her own life, and is not always dependable; and, whatever we pay her we cannot process thru our insurance, flex account, or claim on our income tax. We figure we'd need to pay her $600-800 per month, if not more.

So...back to my last question. Should I apply for SS now so our total income goes up, or is that going to just pay taxes?

Of course starting to take SS will increase your income. It does not all go to taxes. But you need to do that calculation yourself. Social security is taxed if your combined income with your wife is above a certain limit. Most people defer starting social security when they can afford not to and to increase their returns long term. But if you can't do that, you can't do that. That's ok.

See this website:

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.htm

So if your joint income is above $32k, you pay tax on at least 50% of your income. If your joint income is above $44k, you pay tax on up to 85% of your income. The tax is at the going rate for that income level.

So you need to do the calculations yourself to see what makes sense.

Comment

Also check your State's taxes. Some states tax SS and some do not. Also some will tax certain retirement funds like military and federal or state employees plans while others either don't or only a portion. And definitly check what all can be counted towards your yearly deductions on Schedule A. Do you qualify for Schedule R deductions on your federal return if you retire now?
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by airart1 View Post
                they pay for a quad guy here in tennesse......he has care come in and do his bowel and bath program......i was under the impression they would do it in every state, sorry........
                Wth how did you get this. I find nothing but dead ends unless you are eligible for choices program theough Medicaid or have veterans benefits.
                If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

i didn't, i'm a para, need no help, he's a quad, he get's it.....

Comment

Originally posted by airart1 View Post
                    i didn't, i'm a para, need no help, he's a quad, he get's it.....
                    In TN ? What program is he on. I ask bc as a social worker I can not find benefits for people in our state. Waiting lists are tremendously long, years...
                    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Comment

medicare and medicaid...........

Comment

Ah, choices then. They just closed entry into that a few months ago. Again...

Comment

Working...
                        X