Looking into Grad school options!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into Grad school options!!

As you may or may not know, I am currently working on my undergraduate degree in Music Education. My goal is to teach music/lessons/courses on the post secondary level. This requires at least a masters degree. Since I will already be certified K-12 after my undergrad, I am looking into graduate programs for vocal performance.

After the last few years that I have had, and how I am still currently feeling, part of me thinks this is crazy. The other part of me, the part of me that wants to be able to do the job that I have envisioned myself doing now for a long time, says to just jump right in and tackle it like I have tackled everything else so far.

I am nervous, unsure, apprehensive but most of all, very excited about this next step in my education and toward my goals of what I know I was meant to do with my life and my talent.

Thank you to all of you who have helped me in so many ways these last few years! I would not be where I am today if I didn't have the support!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Becky I really hope you achieve your dreams. Excited to see you go after what you want and keep at it! I hope these health issues get sorted soon and you can attend grad school without a health interruption! I admire you!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Western Washington University, Bellingham, Wash. One of the top ten schools for education majors as well as music majors.

Comment

One of my friends studied vocal performance and music ed in a Master's program at Northwestern in Evanston/Chicago. Excellent program. And now she teaches privately, and sings in the Chicago Symphony Chorus and does many local opera/operetta performances. And Chicago has the benefit of having Rehab Institute of Chicago for your SCI needs.

It is incredibly competitive to get a faculty position in music/voice at a University, if that's what you are looking for. You essentially need to be a successful vocal soloist first. My friend teaches primarily high school students.

You could also look at some of the music ed programs at the major conservatories, but you probably know about those.

Good luck, and congratulations on your decision.

Comment

Becky, I think that's a wonderful plan. You have pulled off a lot with great grace and I'm confident you'll be successful.

Comment

Wonderful, Becky, go for it and all best wishes to you!!
            MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by hlh View Post
              One of my friends studied vocal performance and music ed in a Master's program at Northwestern in Evanston/Chicago. Excellent program. And now she teaches privately, and sings in the Chicago Symphony Chorus and does many local opera/operetta performances. And Chicago has the benefit of having Rehab Institute of Chicago for your SCI needs.

It is incredibly competitive to get a faculty position in music/voice at a University, if that's what you are looking for. You essentially need to be a successful vocal soloist first. My friend teaches primarily high school students.

You could also look at some of the music ed programs at the major conservatories, but you probably know about those.

Good luck, and congratulations on your decision.
              I am from a suburb of Chicago so I go and see the CSO and the CSC all the time , in addition to others as well. I am well aware of actual full time university teaching positions, which is why I am definitely ok doing community college positions or even high school. I also plan on teaching privately and will be auditioning for both the CSC and Lyric Opera when the time is right. I also would be open and willing to teach other types of humanities classes if need be at a community college. I am also going to be receiving my endorsement in Special Ed during my undergrad studies, so that is another avenue that I can do some things if need be.

I am currently getting my undergrad in music ed so it would be sort of silly to get both my undergrad and grad degrees both in music ed. I only say this since they are all the same classes AND I will have already been certified from my undergrad.

I have looked at Northwestern and I know they are fantastic!! They are also quite pricey (as I know any program will be but they are really up there). I am also looking at De Paul, Roosevelt, and some others.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support as I embark on this adventure!!

Becky
              since 1/3/04

Comment

Originally posted by bcsimpsons View Post
                I am from a suburb of Chicago so I go and see the CSO and the CSC all the time , in addition to others as well. I am well aware of actual full time university teaching positions, which is why I am definitely ok doing community college positions or even high school. I also plan on teaching privately and will be auditioning for both the CSC and Lyric Opera when the time is right. I also would be open and willing to teach other types of humanities classes if need be at a community college. I am also going to be receiving my endorsement in Special Ed during my undergrad studies, so that is another avenue that I can do some things if need be.

I am currently getting my undergrad in music ed so it would be sort of silly to get both my undergrad and grad degrees both in music ed. I only say this since they are all the same classes AND I will have already been certified from my undergrad.

I have looked at Northwestern and I know they are fantastic!! They are also quite pricey (as I know any program will be but they are really up there). I am also looking at De Paul, Roosevelt, and some others.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support as I embark on this adventure!!

Becky

You are smart to be thinking broadly about your options. That is definitely possible, if you are flexible and often having a mixture of private students and a permanent position somewhere is the best combo.

I was worried that these may be expensive graduate programs.... part of me was hoping that fellowships/TAing might be an option. In the Chicago area, DePaul and Roosevelt are not bad options at all. Maybe you could study with Elizabeth Norman....

For "fun", if you are preparing an audition anyway, why not check out University of Illinois and Indiana U - wonderful music programs. And Julliard, Curtis of course....

Actually, if you are planning to go to graduate school, THAT degree will matter more then then your undergraduate one, in many ways. Talk with as many mentors as you can find to get advice on what to do so that you leave yourself with all the options you need. You seem to be making good decisions, so I wish you well!

Comment

I am definitely talking with many people/anyone I can about this decision. It is definitely a big investment in both time/money/energy/etc... On the list of possible schools is also University of Oregon, and University of Wisconsin- Madison.

I completely agree that the graduate degree would be more important at that point but once you are certified as a teacher, I have been told, it is better to get your next degree in the area you want to focus on, be it voice, composition, conducting, etc...

Thank you for your support!

Becky
                  since 1/3/04

Comment

Originally posted by bcsimpsons View Post
                    I am definitely talking with many people/anyone I can about this decision. It is definitely a big investment in both time/money/energy/etc... On the list of possible schools is also University of Oregon, and University of Wisconsin- Madison.

Becky
                    My brother in law went to Madison for music...let me know if you want to know anything specific and I can ask him.
                    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Becky, I cant give any input on programs, but I can tell you to plan on getting your PhD. Ive been in higher education for 15 years and the jobs for masters degree educators are quickly drying up. Plan on going the whole way!
                      C5-6 - 22 years

Comment

Originally posted by quartermile View Post
                        Becky, I cant give any input on programs, but I can tell you to plan on getting your PhD. Ive been in higher education for 15 years and the jobs for masters degree educators are quickly drying up. Plan on going the whole way!
                        That is my plan . One step at a time though. Thank you so much for the advice!

Becky
                        since 1/3/04

Comment

Working...
                        X