Outrageous Cost of Cystoscopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The charges in the OP are within the range I see in my part of the country. Remember that you are paying for the use of the operating theater, nursing support staff, possibly anesthesia, sometimes processing of specimens (biopsies, stone analysis, etc.), and the recovery room costs (staff, etc.) for a procedure like this.

"Use of the room" charges include the costs of sterile processing, heat, lighting, and other administrative costs required to maintain a sterile operating theater. I assume you want to have only sterile instruments used on you, right?

Something like a colonoscopy would run about the same.

You may be able to negotiate a discount if you are paying cash. Your insurance would probably have a contract price...ask if you can get that price if you are having to pay out of pocket.

(KLD)
    Yes I agree. It sounds like the use of the OR is what inflated the bill. However, many sterile procedures are safely performed out of an OR: central lines, paracentesis, etc. Hospitals do want to have all ORs full every day to maximize revenue.

Comment

We only do flexible cystoscopies in a sterile procedure room. Rigid cystoscopies (done with a scope that can be used to take biopsies, crush stones, or administer meds like Botox) must be done in the operating room, and often with anesthesia (spinal, etc.) on board.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

We only do flexible cystoscopies in a sterile procedure room. Rigid cystoscopies (done with a scope that can be used to take biopsies, crush stones, or administer meds like Botox) must be done in the operating room, and often with anesthesia (spinal, etc.) on board.

(KLD)
        Rooms need not be sterile for the procedure to be performed in a sterile fashion, as you know. I still think that interest, and not clinical indication, guides many of these decisions, which is sad.
        Colonoscopies, EGDs, and many other "scopy" procedures are done in regular rooms.

Comment

(KLD)
          I think this has changed, at least for Botox. Maybe when it got FDA approved.

I just had botox with a rigid scope, and it was definitely NOT done in an operating room. (although the two previous times I've had it were with a different hospital)

Comment

I wrote a letter to Craig Hospital disputing the charges, and had a long talk with the CFO. As several of you stated, the costs really are very high. She reduced my bill to their cost, and I still have to pay (above the $1000 I had in insurance, HRA).

I appreciated her openness and availability, calling me from Craig at 7:30pm. She said that Craig doesn't send bills to collections; they work with the patients. And they would have reduced my bill further if I had financial need.

Now if we can just reduce the costs..

I wonder if I could use a webcam to do a cysto. That will require a little more research.

I'm going to at least ask a couple urologists what it would take for them to do house calls. That would eliminate a lot of overhead, I think.

Does Canada have lower costs than the U.S.? Do patients even get to know the costs? At least we have that, even though Craig couldn't itemize them.
            "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

I don't know if the costs here in Canada are lower, but I wish we did know. I think it would help people appreciate the system if we got a 'bill' for every use of the system - saying PAID IN FULL BY OUR TAX DOLLARS.
              Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

I have Health New England as a retired state employee. I went to see Urologist and paid my $20 co-pay. I asked what tier the doctor was and the receptionist had no clue (this makes more billing issues for the hospital if the correct co-pay is not paid up front) The copay was $60! So I was billed (waste of paper) for $40 more dollars. Urologist recommends ultrasound, which I know is going to show nothing, because they never really do and usually want a CT scan, then onto the MRI, etc to get all the money they can out of the patient's insurance. I had microscopic blood in urine. I return days later to hospital for ultrasound and am told to go to Urologist office after they are finished. I sit in seat, and Urologists tells me the ultrasound showed nothing, so now he wants to do a cystoscopy and to go in his secretary's office to make an appointment for procedure. Really, his secretary could have called me with that information. I did not need to sit in his office for 30 seconds so they can bill me another $60 co-pay just to tell me that. This to me is a crock of crap, plain and simple. Now I had the cystoscopy a week later. Just waiting for probably a $350 bill for the deductible now. So I will have paid $60+$60 (for 30 seconds) + $350. So being a former Mass state employee of 31 years, with what one would think is decent insurance..... I'm paying $470 in total when nothing is even wrong with me. This is absolutely insane. He found nothing, my bladder is just fine!!! All this for nothing!

Comment

Working...
                X