Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working, Wanting to Work & Not Working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, I've considered moving out of the area...but in reality my life, family and friends are here (just north of Albany,NY) so I'm not going to be moving anytime soon. Actually I have an appointment today with the local vocational rehabilitation office which may help a lot with working or maybe driving....the state agency is called ACCESS-VR, it used to be called VESID.
    It must be tough for people with injuries who live in rural areas...
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

My husband (T4) returned to work full-time about 3 months after his injury. We've been lucky in that he has a very flexible job (software engineer). He can work from home when he needs to, and does so at least one day a week, so that he can still get in PT time. They also provided a wheelchair accessible shuttle that picks him up near our house in the morning and brings him home at night, so I'm not driving him as much (we haven't put in hand controls yet). There are several gyms and changing rooms at work, so if he ever has bowel/bladder issues, he's been able to hop in there and change without anyone being the wiser (he wears jeans every day, so it's easy to have spare clothes at his desk). Getting back to work has been really instrumental in his recovery.

Comment

Getting dumped from my contract at the end of March due to bs budgets.... interviewing for a new job this afternoon

Comment

Receiving benefits and working (or not working) is a big, complicated issue. I'm looking to work and really want to after going to college and getting a degree. Finding a job with the terrible economy that pays enough to pay for attendant care has been next to impossible so far...the catch 22 is that if I take a lower paying job I'd lose my benefits and insurance which wouldn't leave me making enough to pay for helpers. The whole process and situation is very frustrating...
          With the health problems like periodic pressure wounds (add in surgery to fix a wound) and chronic pain you can see why people with higher level spinal cord injuries aren't working in big numbers...

The latest twist is that I had just had an interview with the ny state vocational counselor whose job it is to get people with disabilities working and paying taxes. Next step is to go for a "benefits consultation" to see if there's a way to receive some benefits to pay for caregivers...at least enough to enable working...

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Sorry the laws are so antiquated, they need to be rewritten. Good luck in your quest, but I know many people in the same frustrating position you are.

Work, and lose your ability to pay for caregivers. That makes absolutely no sense.
            Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
            Receiving benefits and working (or not working) is a big, complicated issue. I'm looking to work and really want to after going to college and getting a degree. Finding a job with the terrible economy that pays enough to pay for attendant care has been next to impossible so far...the catch 22 is that if I take a lower paying job I'd lose my benefits and insurance which wouldn't leave me making enough to pay for helpers. The whole process and situation is very frustrating...
            With the health problems like periodic pressure wounds (add in surgery to fix a wound) and chronic pain you can see why people with higher level spinal cord injuries aren't working in big numbers...

The latest twist is that I had just had an interview with the ny state vocational counselor whose job it is to get people with disabilities working and paying taxes. Next step is to go for a "benefits consultation" to see if there's a way to receive some benefits to pay for caregivers...at least enough to enable working...
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
              Sure, I've considered moving out of the area...but in reality my life, family and friends are here (just north of Albany,NY) so I'm not going to be moving anytime soon. Actually I have an appointment today with the local vocational rehabilitation office which may help a lot with working or maybe driving....the state agency is called ACCESS-VR, it used to be called VESID.
              It must be tough for people with injuries who live in rural areas...
              I understand now...Yep, cost of care is a deal breaker for the non-Rockefellers. I hate how it seems you are "trapped" in a system. Best of luck in your pursuit of a career.

Comment

Thanks for the good words... How many quads out there are working or are not working?

Comment

Have any of you tried the ticket to work program and not been able to work? Did you have trouble with getting your disability back?

Comment

Does anyone read this stuff? Hope so... Well after complaining of a lack of job opportunities in my area I'm happy to say I finally have a job interview...tomorrow actually. Who knows what will happen but it should be interesting.

As everyone here knows...much of the challenge of working after a spinal cord injury is first finding the job you can do, avoiding/dealing with pressure wound problems, doing the job, and maybe most of all...paying for attendants five mornings a week so you can get up and get to the job. This applies most of all to people with higher level injuries, such as myself. The state apparently has a program for people with disabilities who want to work but need help paying for attendants...

Comment

Good luck!
                      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Great news! Hoping for the best, and if all goes well, a smooth transition into a dream JOB!

Comment

Good Luck Kyle!!! Can't wait to hear the details
                          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I was retired for a year when I acquired my SCI so I am not looking for work.

However, I thought I would share my experience when I was still able bodied and worked as a manager for a couple of counties. I worked for the two counties for a total of 25 years and was either in charge of "buildings" or had influence over "building" decisions. For all of the 25 years I "acted" as an advocate for the wheelchair bound trying to make sure that the departments would be ready to hire a wheelchair bound person and not wait until someone applied for a job to consider how to make the building wheelchair accessible. I say "acted" because I really had no comprehension of all of the problems people with SCI face each day. But I did make sure that desks were far enough apart so a person in a wheelchair could get through and bathrooms were accessible, etc.

The point of this story, however, is that in 25 years, I am not aware of any wheelchair bound person ever applying for a job at the departments for which I worked. Most of the jobs were desk jobs and didn't require lifting or anything. I thought they were perfect jobs for anyone in a wheelchair. I never understood why no wheelchair persons ever applied.

I have a better understanding now. For those of you who work, my hat is off to you.
                            TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone... Well I went to my interview...it went surprisingly well. The interviewers were great and were relaxed about my wheelchair use/disability. The topic barely came up because it was really a non-issue. The position I applied for is a "desk job" so it is one I could do.
                              I'll find out in a few weeks if I'm going to be offered the job...or not. Wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X