Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking at Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Walking at Work

    Hey all!

    So now that my shoulder is finally doing better, we had started doing walking with a walker/paralell bars. Then, I hurt my toe, so we stopped for a bit. Next week we will start walking again. So, here's my question. How many of you can, walk at work? I am finding it very hard to sit all day without standing or anything. I applied for a standing chair and it was denied. It was appealed and denied again. The thing is, I haven't been on my feet walking in a long time with a walker, so I'm pretty anxious. My boss and supervisor will be coming to a PT session tto see how it all works and what not and what they'll have to do to help (they're extremely accommodating). I'm just worried about being fatigued and how it will work having my chair and walker at work and that kind of thing. Oh, and falling in front of everyone at work, that too.

    Any tips??
    Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 18 Dec 2011, 11:19 PM.

    #2
    if you fall at work lets hope your very accommodating boss will catch you
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

    Comment


      #3
      ..........
      Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 18 Dec 2011, 1:02 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        lol!!! sry i just couldnt help myself!!! i'm glad you're better tho
        "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
        http://www.elportavoz.com/

        Comment


          #5
          Hey Jessica,

          Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.

          I don't walk at work, although I'm slowly finding out that now that I'm no longer a frequent flyer in the OR (it's been almost six months since my last surgery), I seem to be regaining some useful function in my right leg. So maybe crutches or a walker are in my future after all.

          Given what you've written about the attitudes of your boss and supervisor, I wouldn't worry too much about how they will react if everything doesn't go off without a hitch. I managed to throw myself backwards out of my wheelchair at work last week, and while it gave some people around me a jolt (with my boss actually admitting he'd been nodding off and I shook him awake), we all had a chuckle about it afterwards, and it was no big deal.

          If you're planning on walking only indoors, though, and getting to and from work in your chair, I'd advise having two walkers: one for work and one for home/therapy, otherwise it will be a huge hassle. I used to have a standing frame at school years ago in much the same way.

          Of course, I don'r know what kind of funding options you have ...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Saranoya View Post
            Hey Jessica,

            Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.

            I don't walk at work, although I'm slowly finding out that now that I'm no longer a frequent flyer in the OR (it's been almost six months since my last surgery), I seem to be regaining some useful function in my right leg. So maybe crutches or a walker are in my future after all.

            Given what you've written about the attitudes of your boss and supervisor, I wouldn't worry too much about how they will react if everything doesn't go off without a hitch. I managed to throw myself backwards out of my wheelchair at work last week, and while it gave some people around me a jolt (with my boss actually admitting he'd been nodding off and I shook him awake), we all had a chuckle about it afterwards, and it was no big deal.

            If you're planning on walking only indoors, though, and getting to and from work in your chair, I'd advise having two walkers: one for work and one for home/therapy, otherwise it will be a huge hassle. I used to have a standing frame at school years ago in much the same way.

            Of course, I don'r know what kind of funding options you have ...
            True. I can't walk at home as well live in a four level split so work and therapy (they already have one there). We are hoping that between my insurance and my parents insurance we will get the kind of walker I need covered in full.

            Yes, I felt awkward asking them to come to PT, but they both seem really open to the whole thing. I would hope if they didn't want to, they would say that, I told my boss that I didn't want to feel like he had to and he said it was no problem and even suggested my supervisor come so that if he's away, I can still walk.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Saranoya View Post
              Your boss and supervisor actually coming to PT with you? That's ... unique. And yes, very accommodating.
              That is pretty unusual.

              Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
              I'm just worried about being fatigued and how it will work having my chair and walker at work and that kind of thing. Oh, and falling in front of everyone at work, that too.

              Any tips??

              If I were falling with whatever mobility aid I was using, I wouldn't use it at work. I'd go up one.

              Fatigue will be one of those things you figure out as you go along. If you find you are too fatigued, will you be able to go home and get a wheelchair, or take a break, or leave early?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Katja View Post
                That is pretty unusual.




                If I were falling with whatever mobility aid I was using, I wouldn't use it at work. I'd go up one.

                Fatigue will be one of those things you figure out as you go along. If you find you are too fatigued, will you be able to go home and get a wheelchair, or take a break, or leave early?

                I will probably still have my chair at work, like take the bus to work in my chair and leave the walker there kind of thing. Falling hasn't happen, I'm just not 100% comfortable walking yet, so PT needs to know I'l be safe kind of thing, you know?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
                  I will probably still have my chair at work, like take the bus to work in my chair and leave the walker there kind of thing. Falling hasn't happen, I'm just not 100% comfortable walking yet, so PT needs to know I'l be safe kind of thing, you know?
                  Yup, understood.

                  Sounds like you've got it covered. Have options, recognize that you don't know yet how things are going to go over the course of a whole day. It sounds like you've got a supportive workplace.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Katja View Post
                    Yup, understood.

                    Sounds like you've got it covered. Have options, recognize that you don't know yet how things are going to go over the course of a whole day. It sounds like you've got a supportive workplace.

                    I sure do. The other thing about it is, I work in a call centre so, the only time I have to walk anywhere is to the bathroom or for lunch.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I don't walk at work anymore. My employer has not been accommodating to my needs at all, they actually yelled at me for walking without my walker (just around my cubicle) because my balance sucks and they saw me wobble. They told me that I needed to use my walker for "safety reasons" or to use my wheelchair at work. Idk if they can even legally say that, but that's what went down.

                      If you can walk at work, even more power to ya!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by maggie~mae View Post
                        I don't walk at work anymore. My employer has not been accommodating to my needs at all, they actually yelled at me for walking without my walker (just around my cubicle) because my balance sucks and they saw me wobble. They told me that I needed to use my walker for "safety reasons" or to use my wheelchair at work. Idk if they can even legally say that, but that's what went down.

                        If you can walk at work, even more power to ya!

                        Well that sucks. Are they liable if you did fall and get hurt?

                        I've been very lucky to find a job where the chair and physical limitations don't matter in a negative way, but they do if there is something they can do to make my life better, they'll do it.
                        Last edited by wheeliegirl2010; 18 Dec 2011, 1:03 AM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          No matter how accommodating, save the walking/PT for your off hours. At most, use your standing frame in your office or cubicle if you have room to use it there. With the correct set up, you may be able to use your laptop and phone while in the frame.

                          If you do not walk easily, doing so at work will cause fatigue and it will be detrimental to your work. It also takes time from others if you need assistance. While two from your place of employment have offered to go to PT with you, it is unreasonable to expect they'll be your PT buddies on a day in and day out routine at work. It mars the line between work and personal in a way which may not be long tolerated.

                          It's unprofessional to expect coworkers and supervisors to assist you with PT at work during work hours. Not only are you at risk of falling and injuring yourself, but they, too, face potential injury. Your supervisor may seem okay with it now, but every person has someone to whom she/he reports. Her/his supervisor may not view the PT assist as kindly as your own boss does.

                          Skip the at work PT other than a standing frame.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            BTW, aren't you still in high school? How many hours can you work when you are still in school?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
                              BTW, aren't you still in high school? How many hours can you work when you are still in school?

                              I work Monday- Friday 7 hours a day. A standing chair was our first option, but currently this has not worked out. At all despite the efforts of my OT. The standing frame is not an option because there would be no way for it to fit in the place where I work never mind the fact that all the stuff I need to have would NOT fit on the tabletop of the frame.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X