Who misses their old job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who misses their old job?

I'm writing resumes for the first time in a long time, and recounting all my work experience has me thinking about my old job (equipment and truck operator). I really think I'm going to miss sitting between the doors of a truck and having my mind mostly free to ponder whatever I wish. My new line of work is a lot more brain based and I won't have that freedom.

All this to say, since I'm now contemplating going to work again after almost a decade, I'm feeling pretty nostalgic about my old job.

My only pre-injury job was as a soccer referee. It was horrible. Can't say I really miss being yelled at by insane parents.

Comment

i miss the hell out of it! i had one fight left before i went pro. i think i miss training for fights more than the fight. i the only thing i wanted at 18 was to be the world middle weight champ. but watching over the years i would had to fight oscar in his prime among others i don't know if i was even close to that level.
      Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Comment

i miss being a cop.
        2yrs post now......

Comment

Mine still gives me nightmares, and I didn't get hurt at it. Do I miss it???? I think, but why?

Comment

I miss the people I used to work with. I don't miss the workplace though. It started out a great place to work and I was one of the first hired. I loved having the job that paid a living wage and all the benefits you could eat.

After a time we got new middle management that did not respect the workers at all, became seriously abusive and the dream job devolved into a high stress nightmare for all of us.

I stopped working christmas day in 2006 and had no choice in the matter, but would have quit anyway since I won a huge lawsuit and finally after 12 years in the courts got paid. I was just lucky I could hang on as long as I did.

Every day ran into the other with 60 plus hour workweeks and the fog of high levels of pain meds just to get by. My docs were telling me I had to quit working repeatedly. No one knew what I really went through until the settlement came through, then I just told them to get stuffed and went on my way.

I have secure lifetime income from disability sources and planned for years until I could make it happen. I wanted to give up many times.

The company went out of business in 2009. All 1300 of the people I worked with are out of work and those that have found other employment will never reach those pay levels again. The network they established after the closing tells me that most are still struggling and many have still not found any employment at all. I'm glad that I got out when I did.

I don't miss the job, but I miss the people.
            Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by alhavel View Post
              Mine still gives me nightmares, and I didn't get hurt at it. Do I miss it???? I think, but why?
              Funny, I did get hurt on the job but I miss my employers, my job, and my lifestye. Could be it just seems rosey in hindsight because I was able bodied. I was highway trucking, seeing new places all the time, had some really great "action" on the go on days off..... I'd certainly live that last year, pre SCI, over if I could.

Comment

My nightmares turn into reality , they call to see how I am, where and who, and what we did, or use. Always followed by "when can you come back". SCI kind of retired me, but they always catch me doing nothing but work for someone else. I really can go back, they promise I'll feel like I never left. I never tell them about the nightmares, most of them are the stars........

Sad fact is they know what I'm capable of, and have never really replaced me. I just wished they'd stop following me in my sleep, and the phone, as well as events I attend.

Comment

Congrats on going back to work Zap. I'm sure it will give you a new purpose in life. Yeah, I sure miss my old job as a motion picture stuntman. Don't miss the back stabbing or long sometimes boring hours, but loved being in such good shape and around "can-do" people..

Comment

hell yes. I worked as a tech at a busy Dodge dealership with an awesome group of people. I was flat rate, meaning I got paid the labour rate no matter how quick I got a job done. Routinely clocked 12-15 hours in a 8 hour shift at $35 an hour. Damn rights I am proud of that, my record day was over 25 hours. If I never crashed my MX bike and broke my neck I would have made $100k that year. All by turning wrenches. I look at my huge Snap-On toolbox and just bawl, I wish I never ever saw a dirtbike.

Comment

I do not miss the politics in my job or the occasional firehall dramas.
                      But yes I miss the hell out of both of my jobs.
                      I was an EMT. It took me about a year or longer to hear a siren and be able to control my flight reflex. It still feels horrible when I see a wreck on the side of the road and I am useless and have to be one of the rubberneckers driving on by. I still feel sad when I see them going by somewhere running emergency traffic. The smallest one, I was always shoved through a window to get to the patient during an extrication. I do not miss the extremely hot days and being stuck under a tarp with a patient in full gear listening to the equipment grinding away and the glass breaking. Actually I do miss every second of that. I definitely miss being up in the middle of it and being able to calm someone and be with them. I miss 24 hour shifts and 48 off, the occasional night of no calls and knowing I slept through the night and got paid to do it.

My second job was a mail carrier. I miss that too, knowing the backroads and waving to the people working in their yard. Visiting with some of the friendly dogs. I always wonder what happened to the stray one I used to save my leftovers from lunch for. I almost had him tame enough to rescue. I was the Saturday carrier in a really rural town. Losing that job was hard, but it didn't leave nearly as big of a hole in my chest as losing being an EMT. It was only this past year I let my license expire
                      If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I was a legal land surveyor. I'd just been 'promoted' to a desk job, doing computations and sending out work crews. It kept me out of the snow but was really stressful.

Some of us miss our old jobs more than we miss our old girlfriends. We tend to define ourselves by our jobs; I think that's why we work so hard post-injury to get back to work. One of my postinjury careers was doing digital mapping using a trackball. It nearly destroyed my shoulder.

Comment

Tomorrow I'm turning in my official retirement as a firefighter. I've been a fireman since I was 17 years old. It's all I've ever known and it's a part of my identity. Now I have to let it go. I fought for over a year to get strong enough to go back.. but its just not going to happen. I'm walking much better, but stairs are really tough. I showed them a video of me carrying a 50 pound weighted pack and doing stairs and they were really proud of me. But the part of the video i didn't show, was that I could only do one flight of stairs without really struggling. Some days I can't climb stairs at all. Pretty important stuff to be a fireman. I love this job too much to try and fake and go back to work. I'm afraid I would injure someone or couldnt help them if they needed me. I just wish they could have put me in the training department or something. I'm reallllllly going to miss the whole lifestyle. :-(
                          L-1 Burst fx 8.11.2010
                          Can walk with effort short distances
                          bowel and bladder blues

Comment

It's a shame they can't put you in training or some other position Josh. You gave it your best.

Comment

There was nowhere in EMS or FF for me anymore either. I taught some classes, but even that was hard and not the same. Dispatching just frustrated me and the hours were horrible.
                              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Working...
                              X