Saw a financial adviser today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a financial adviser today

Apparently 'Isn't it better to burn out than fade away?' is not a legitimate philosophy for retirement.

How are you guys planning for old age with SCI?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Saving all I can and continuing to work as long as possible.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino View Post
      Apparently 'Isn't it better to burn out than fade away?' is not a legitimate philosophy for retirement.

Make a metric ass load of money.

Comment

Um yeah, all were advised.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

Simply savings? Pension? Stocks? Property? Other investments?
        C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

I shall continue to be excessively polite to all my wealthy childless relations.

Comment

I do now, and did before my SCI, find it an almost mental and physical necessity to change jobs every 4/5 years. Not necessarily companies, but positions. I've worked so many different areas of nursing, both clinically and administratively. I find it so reviving to face the challenges of learning new things and refreshing to not be doing the same ole same ole. If I do happen to change companies, I simply roll my retirement over with me. It will be interesting to see now with this SCI, how many actual new administrative jobs will be available to me outside my company. I can imagine they will dwindle down to next to nothing. Secondly, I can't imagine not working. All my friends say I'll change my mind about that this, but for now, I don't have that mind set. It actually helps me keep my mind off the pain.
            Last edited by Patty41; 28 Jun 2011, 3:05 PM.

Comment

That's what I'm shooting for. My brother and I, and a buddy from old, are starting up a new corporation and heading to the oil fields in MT and ND. They're just starting to boom, and will be booming for the rest of our lifetimes.

If we're lucky we can make some big bucks in either real estate or construction, or something else that might come alone we don't even know about yet. They both are great general contractors and they know all the sub trades, and with me manning the computer end of things, we hope to swing some deals. We have a good reputation from HA to CA to MT to WA. We'll give it 5 years, if it doesn't pan out, we can say we tried.

Luck is the meeting place of preparation and opportunity. Or somethin.
              Originally posted by t8burst View Post
              Make a metric ass load of money.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Cyanide.

Comment

I can survieve on the money I have now, I will get a little less when I am 67.
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Living well below my means and saving like a fiend is part of my plan in action. I'm also in the process of starting a biz. That is being done with funds I have set aside other than anything for retirement.

Glad you are working with an adviser, Paul.

Comment

Work pension. Canada Pension. Tiny bit o' savings. I can't see myself alive at 65 and benefiting from any of it though so I don't put a lot in the savings.

Lifetime medical/dental benefits through work ... that was the most important to me.
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                        Lifetime medical/dental benefits through work ... that was the most important to me.
                        Wow..that is amazing..and virtually unheard of here..except government jobs..and few private industries that haven't riaded pensions.

This thread is depressing me while motivating me..to save more!
                        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

Um yeah, all were advised.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

Simply savings? Pension? Stocks? Property? Other investments?
                          Yes. Diversify, diversify, diversify. If the big one hits SF directly [family owned real prop to be exact] I'm in a precarious situation.
                          Last edited by leschinsky; 29 Jun 2011, 9:08 PM.
                          Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français View Post
                            Cyanide.
                            I'm afraid I'm with you Todd. After selling our home, using savings and 401K to pay what insurance did not for almost 2 years and then losing insurance there isn't much left.
                            Still, we have a decent accessable place to live with low mortgage, a decent van so there are things to be grateful for.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                              I'm afraid I'm with you Todd. After selling our home, using savings and 401K to pay what insurance did not for almost 2 years and then losing insurance there isn't much left.
                              Still, we have a decent accessable place to live with low mortgage, a decent van so there are things to be grateful for.
                              I don't view death as negatively as many others do. It's as natural as birth, and if someone gets to the point where one cannot live anymore, then why not just hasten it rather than prolong suffering? Death is inevitable. The only reason we fear death and think of it as grim is because we have a survival instinct that all living cognitive creatures possess.

Those anti-Kevorkian assholes make a profit off the dying. Hence their supposed moral opposition. Let's make the case that assisted suicide is wrong, but so is charging a dying patient the last month of his or her hospital care and you will see the outrage from the medical field. The last twenty days of a dying person's life is big money for those bastards. I hope they rot in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X