Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medicare suppliment plans for disabled under 65?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Medicare suppliment plans for disabled under 65?

    I know it vary's state by state, but anybody know of any good suppliment's that cover the 20 percent that medicare does not cover. It seems like a real problem this sort of thing these day's, use to not be a issue getting this sort of coverage, but if a person is under 65 y/o and has medicare disability (an obvious pre-existing condition and red flag for them I guess) they don't want to offer coverage. Just trying to sort out the options here in Rhode Island for my girlfriend who is 57, has fibromyalgia and medicare coverage. They already denied her blue X of R.I due to a pre-existing condition. Not sure where to go from here. Checked with Humana and they say they don't offer coverage for medigap for those under 65. I believe Blue X has a open enrollment for medigap mid October to Jan 1st, but that does not do us any good right now. Move this post life mods if need be, was not sure which forum to post this one on.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

    #2
    Not sure if this will help but you might want to try "Find Your State" at www.pcip.gov or call 1-866-717-5826 (TTY 1-866-561-1604) 8am -11pm Eastern Time. This will give you info about "Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plans" created by the Affrordable Care Act (is available to children and adults in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia). Going to "Find Your State" or calling will give you info about your state's eligibility requirements and how to apply.

    If that doesn't help, you can look to see if your state offers a Community Assistance Program (CAP; go to www.healthcare.gov/consumerhelp). 30 states have received funding under the ACA to provide assistance for persons having difficulty with their helath insurance and to answer questions about their coverage. The website can also direct you to other resources that may be helpful.

    Best of luck.

    (The info above comes from p. 5 of the May/June 2011 issue of Stroke Connection magazine, a publication of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.)
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.

    Comment


      #3
      I use Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medex plan as my supplemental. Never had a problem with them. In MA. it is illegal for discrimination against those under 65 IF they already have Medicare.

      Comment


        #4
        Thank's for the ideas Jonna and Eileen. Mass is great as far as healthcare goes, the medicare suppliment is comprehensive and available there for those with preexisting conditions and on medicare under 65, in R.I for some reason they do have the right to deny coverage for the suppliment when someone has medicare and is under 65. The suppliment is reasonable in MA too @ $189.00 per month, in Fla the same coverage is $428.00 per month and in Texas it is like $900.00 per month. Huge variation's for some reason.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
          Thank's for the ideas Jonna and Eileen. Mass is great as far as healthcare goes, the medicare suppliment is comprehensive and available there for those with preexisting conditions and on medicare under 65, in R.I for some reason they do have the right to deny coverage for the suppliment when someone has medicare and is under 65. The suppliment is reasonable in MA too @ $189.00 per month, in Fla the same coverage is $428.00 per month and in Texas it is like $900.00 per month. Huge variation's for some reason.
          that doesn't make sense since medicare is a federal program, one would think all the states have the same rules, unlike medicaid which is state run.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by jschism View Post
            that doesn't make sense since medicare is a federal program, one would think all the states have the same rules, unlike medicaid which is state run.
            Medicare is a federal program but the suppliment which pay's the 20 percent medicare does not cover is done State by State.
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            challenges you're dealt but
            the challenges you seek...If
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

            Comment


              #7
              Check out AARP to see if they offer coverage. I use them for my part D Medicare coverage, but I think they might offer supplemental insurance too, and they do not care what age you are if you are already on Medicare.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
                Medicare is a federal program but the suppliment which pay's the 20 percent medicare does not cover is done State by State.
                or by employer. my supplemental plan thru boeing is Aetna. not cheap, though, and no pre-existing crap as it is through my employer, well, ex employer. they pay scripts and 20%, but catch is, if medicare denies, they do too. it's not a fun place to be.

                i'm not too happy w/medicare either. i'm not getting supplies i need and got under my employer's ins. not good.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                  Check out AARP to see if they offer coverage. I use them for my part D Medicare coverage, but I think they might offer supplemental insurance too, and they do not care what age you are if you are already on Medicare.
                  actually no, I called you have to 50 to qualify for their supp plan.
                  Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by leschinsky View Post
                    actually no, I called you have to 50 to qualify for their supp plan.
                    I guess my "over 50" status is now on record!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'll be the big five oh on 11/11/11 - but I don't feel 50. I feel 100!!
                      Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                      I guess my "over 50" status is now on record!
                      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                      Thanks!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by rdf View Post
                        I'll be the big five oh on 11/11/11 - but I don't feel 50. I feel 100!!
                        Remember, it is just a number........or so they say.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          They're lying!
                          Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                          Remember, it is just a number........or so they say.
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Curt

                            Go here and put in your zip code

                            http://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/...igap-home.aspx

                            It should give you a list of plans in your area. Then you can choose which coverage and which plan
                            T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

                            My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I've heard the gap plans can be expensive. Tennessee just passed, in January of this year where you can now get a gap plan if you're age is under 65. I had to take an advantage plan because of that.

                              I was happy with the bcbs advantage plan up until last year. Every year it has gotten more expensive, with loss of coverage. But last year my mri, ct scans....went to 80/20. Now I can't afford to have testing done. I pay $151 per month and co pays have gone up every year, but my dme and testing being at twenty percent is a killer.....

                              The hard part is not just finding another policy, it's making sure all of your providers will take it! I'm not looking forward to it, but it took me about a week the last time....just finding something decent that everyone would take. I hate doing this......

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X