No announcement yet.

Academically Overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're right in that this "adviser" thinks the job merely entails provision of ramps, etc. Failing to understand how she could do anything to help you as a grad student is an admission that she is not qualified for the job, and - worse - is apparently unwilling to even think about become qualified. Her mandate should be to figure out what she could do to facilitate your education.

However, I think there may be a kernel of truth in her statement that you should have closer working relationships with your professors. Of course, I don't know what you have or have not done, and it's also true that some profs are not terribly approachable (indeed, this business of threatening to eject a student because of her service dog seems egregious). But that's a key to success.

Hell, even there is something this adviser could have easily done - she could have picked up the phone, called one of your profs and set up a meeting with the 3 of you, where she would act as your advocate and help you work things out. Instead, she washed her hands of the problem.

Absolutely, it shouldn't be that hard. You're entitled to their assistance, it's a shame it's not forthcoming.

P.S. I just read what you wrote as I was writing!

Comment

The service dog isn't a disability issue?

Well, the good thing about that comment, is you know it isn't just you. She definitely just wants to wash her hands of anything beyond ramps and transcription.

I am afraid tho, that you are going to have to deal with the professors yourself. She obviously is not going to, and I suspect, if you go over her head and have her forced to, she will do it with an attitude that might undermine anything you have already done.

Not to say that I don't think you should take this to a higher level. Just don't expect anything positive to come out of it in time for this semester.

It shouldn't be this hard. That is exactly why her job exists.

I would be interested in seeing if more students are having trouble with her. A group of complaints would carry more weight.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Hey OJ...i was in about the same bot (no, not the pasta boat...LOL). I found that the school had a disability advisor to help me get through classes when I was in bad shape. Sounds like you are just hitting a brick wall. Dont get discouraged, just hang in there and see if your complaints are addressed to help you. Good Luck!
        dougie

Comment

Originally posted by diddlindoug View Post
          Hey OJ...i was in about the same bot (no, not the pasta boat...LOL). I found that the school had a disability advisor to help me get through classes when I was in bad shape. Sounds like you are just hitting a brick wall. Dont get discouraged, just hang in there and see if your complaints are addressed to help you. Good Luck!
          dougie
          Thanks dougie.

I guess though it is now a case of when things couldn't get worse, they do. Communication between me and the disability advisor has completely broken down. I am not getting anywhere engaging in a war of words with her over email-- although she has provided me with ample written material to make an official complaint. I talked to a lawyer who advises the school's student's association. After reading through the email exchanges, he feels I should lodge a formal complaint with the univerisity That will have to wait though as right now I just dont have the time or energy right. I dont really have any interest in making a complaint either, to be honest. But the school recieves extra funding in part based on how many students are requesting help from the disabilities services office. So that makes me feel that I might have some sort of obligation to do so.

I did get a letter from my doctor and go talk directly to my profs.
          I have 1 class close to caught. Another is doable, although I have a lot to catch up on in the next 3 weeks. Both of these profs were understanding. Is funny how much I could accomplish with one brief office visit compared to 7 weeks of grief trying to do it "the official way" and going through disability services. The third class is a hopeless mess. The prof is willing to grant me a bit of extra time, but made it clear to me that he isnt happy about it. However he blew off our class himself this semester by not showing up for a number of classes and he hasnt marked anything all semester. So given that, he said he
          "could probably" cut me some slack. Gee thanks buddy lol.

All that aside I have been catching up by putting in 8 to 10 hour days. Which hasnt been easy. Still struggling with fatigue and concentration issues. I probably can get incomplete grades but it will be a nightmare to arrange. But i dont know, I am just running out of time no matter how hard I try.

Comment

Hi OJ, I am so glad you did this. I am a teacher of 17-18 year olds and get a lot of excuses, but when there is even a chance that an excuse is legitimate, I always grant extra time. It doesn't hurt me to turn in grades a week or two late, and the student is doing the same work. I think (HOPE) that your profs will be understanding. I also tell the students to come to me, not through an office, since I am a real and non-monstrous person whereas an office is part of a bureaucracy.

Comment

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post
              i could give u my magic pasta boat.... :P

all joking aside i know EXACTLY how u feel. this was me last quarter (and we have 10weeks, not 15!) and i ended up having to take an incomplete in one class. i'm doing the work over break so that it's still fresh. is that an option for you? i often find that as soon as i load up on work cuz my brain thinks "yea! back in the game!" my body just cannot cope with the stress and i just shut down mentally as well as getting sick with something that ends me needing serious medical attention.
              crypticgimp - this is exactly what happens to me if I start working too hard (lots of long days, extra activities, etc) as well as when I was in grad school! I always do better working part time. I'm trying to go back to school, and hoping that since I love the subject so much I'll be able to do it (perhaps by sheer will).

Comment

Originally posted by jgrant27 View Post
                crypticgimp - this is exactly what happens to me if I start working too hard (lots of long days, extra activities, etc) as well as when I was in grad school! I always do better working part time. I'm trying to go back to school, and hoping that since I love the subject so much I'll be able to do it (perhaps by sheer will).
                I was hoping I could finish my MA within 2 years by sheer will. I do love what I am studying and school really gave me a sense of purpose in life again-- something I havent felt in the past 5 years. While I do think motivation and a love of learning can carry a person a long way, this semester has shown me that sheer will isn't enough, unfortunately, when life with a sci is thrown in. I hate it, but I have had to face up to the fact this semester that my body can only take so much. I guess in the past I never considered the physical toll a heavy course load can take, because I wasn't needing to factor in things like the risk of sores from spending all day in my chair at a library, how fatiguing sitting through an 3 hour lecture can be, or trying to balance ~8 hours of daily care. I realized about half way through this semester that school was far from enjoyable....it was turning into an extremely stress filed experience. I dont want that. There seems little value in studying if I am not going to enjoy the experience. So for the fall semester I have decided to cut back on my course load. It will take longer to finish the degree, but for me going back to school needs to be about the journey not the destination. That last sentence sounds a bit Pollyanna-ish, I know. Its just your mention of doing school by sheer will got me thinking about how badly I wanted to be able to do that. And wasnt able to. But everybody is different, I guess. I hope you do go back to school. The experience outside the classroom, of meeting new interesting and smart people, going to plays and other campus events, has been so good for me. If i could only get a grip on the in classroom stuff....

Comment

I think cutting back on courses is a wise decision. My daughter is in grad school for PT, and despite the horrendous work load* she loves what she is doing. You are missing that. Hopefully with fewer courses you can get that back.

* and, she has very little free time. There is no way she could fit the extra time for "care and maintenance of sci" into her schedule, let alone allow the extra time needed to get work done when you are ill, as you have been this semester. A typical day for her starts with an 8am lab, and runs to studying in the library until midnight. And she is capable of taking a 3 minute shower.

edited to add ..... my daughter is ab. I know OJ knew this, but just in case this post doesn't make sense to others.
                  Last edited by sjean423; 29 Mar 2011, 2:55 PM.
                  T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Good post, OJ. I think you're right on all counts. That damn reality thing always comes back to bite you.
                    - Richard

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      Considering what you went through (not sure if you shared that?), personally I would drop the two courses and hopefully you could receive SOME SORT of refund. What happened was out of your control.

That's what I would do. Better grades in two classes, than mediocre in four.
                      yes sweetie drop the two worst classes or the two least important ones and retake one of each of the dropped classes at a time. It happens. lots of students drop a class for that reason.

Comment

I think your attitude about where to go from here is great. When I was working towards my undergrad I told myself I had to catch up the time I lost from my injury, but the quality of the experience is diminished when I shove too much in one semester. As far as concentration goes, I'm still working on that When I put stuff off or have something come up preventing me from doing my school work, I get mad anxiety that I won't finish it in time. I just make sure I have a plan of action, write out what I have to do, and then get away from any distractions. If I still have problems concentrating I take a break. But only for a few minutes or I'll stop. Just keep telling yourself how important your end-goal is and how this one assignment will be a step closer! Best of luck OJ. Dealing with such ignorant people who are the last people who should be getting in your way is very frustrating.

Also with regard to the professors, just be honest about the circumstances, even tell them how your attempt to involve disability services took that much more time away from your finishing your work.
                        Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
                        -Dorothy Thompson

Comment

I've also got msyelf caught in a bad way by wanting to do as many classes as everyone else (medical situation be danged!!) truth is, everyone needs to do school at their own pace in order to be successful. I'd either get incompletes and work on finishing the classes (although if you keep avoiding it the "I" becomes an "F"...Not good.

your better bet, if you think you can handle it is drop your 2 classes with teh most work load, forgive your self and your medical situation for not being able to do it in 2 years like you wanted and accept how ever long it takes is how long it takes. Then concentrate on really fixing the two classes you decide to keep..you can recover from this if you really commit and stop avoiding and forgive yourself
                          Liza R. McCollum

Comment

Working...
                          X