First job Interview since SCI....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First job Interview since SCI....

I have my first job interview since my SCI, I guess I need point pointers on how to respond to the surprised look when I roll in for my interview.

7yrs post sci, my work has been at home, so there was no need for a face to face interview, only over the phone.

How did you guys handle your first interview?
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

I pretended the wheelchair didn't even exist. If it's mentioned, let them bring it up first. Then play it off as it's second nature to you and not a big deal (and hopefully it isn't if you're seeking work outside the home).

Good luck! Go in and be yourself and I hope you get the job!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Well, if they are professionals, you won't see a reaction.

I've been on several interviews, and the only time my diability came up was after I got the job. And that was on how to make accomidations for my desk.
      ---------
      C5-6 / '88

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I am more worried about it than they will be.

Comment

I wouldn't respond to the shock look. Keep your confidence and act like there is no chair in the room. It's worked for me and helped me gain respect and comfort with others very quickly.
          DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Resume

I mentioned my disability in my cover letter of my resume. Tried to make it sound as if it was a positive thing. I believe it shows character, drive and determination.

Comment

on interviews i have never gotten a surprised look. when i was a photographer one place i applied to wasnt accessible, i called and we did our interview in the hallway. i gave him my cd of my work and i was hired that day.

everyone has given great advice be confident in your skills and that will show through!
              "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
              http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

How did the interview go?

Comment

Originally posted by NHsciGuy View Post
                  I mentioned my disability in my cover letter of my resume. Tried to make it sound as if it was a positive thing. I believe it shows character, drive and determination.
                  I couldn't agree with that. It may show character, etc. but it also gives them an easy way to pass over your resume because it makes them uncomfortable and they really just don't want to deal with it. I've was a software consultant for 30 years and that included many many interviews. Not once did I mention my disability. It shouldn't be an issue and you shouldn't make it one either. You prove yourself by nailing the interview and the fact you're in a wheelchair doesn't factor in.

Comment

Originally posted by jgrant27 View Post
                    How did the interview go?
                    I never went to the interview, something else came up and decided to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrl View Post
                      I never went to the interview, something else came up and decided to wait.
                      Ah, okay!

I'll throw my two cents in about disclosing prior to interviews.

In the past, most of the jobs I've applied for have been related to disability in some way (helping to serve people with disabilities in some way), so I've always thought that showing that I have a disability as a bonus. I usually just put "handcycling" in a hobbies portion on my resume (which is also an issue up for debate, some hiring managers like to see hobbies, others don't). Some companies also have incentive to hire people with disabilities.

I think that this is certainly an area where there is no right or wrong. I'd learn as much about the company as possible, and what their culture is like, and go from there. =)

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I'm a c5 in a power chair and although I haven't had a post-SCI interview, I go out in the community frequently as part of my job. Never once have I has a "shocked" look. Think about it this way- as an AB, were you ever shocked to see someone in a chair?
                        And I believe it's illegal to ask anything but accessibility questions at an interview.

Comment

I didn't for the first ever interview I had. That blew up in my face when the interviewer look at me and said "oh.. .." once she saw the chair She then told me she did not feel she should put me through the interview because she didn't think I could do anything there.

After that I did. My current boss was actually very taken aback when I disclosed the detail to him over the phone because to him, it seemed irrelevant. I was applying at a call center that had wheelchair access/accessibility (not that I knew that at the time) He actually asked me later on why I thought I needed to share that and I explained the above. He was absolutely disgusted and really, why DO they need to know? Scope it out as a customer if you really want. Are they wheelchair accessible? Your disability should have no bearing on whether you get a job as long as you are qualified for it.

It really is a personal preference and it does depend on who you're talking/interviewing with. Some think it matters. Others think it's a minor, irrelevant detail.

Comment

I found Workopolis has some great tips online what to do during an interview. Hope it works out for you. Cheryl

Comment

I went on another interview, it was for a doctor's office, needless to say as soon as I walked in (I mean rolled in) they thought I was a patient there to see the doctor. I did not get the job, lack of experience, but I will keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X