Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

self employed or employed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    self employed or employed

    Is Anyone else on this forum that is a c5 c6 quad or other who have gone out a got a degree and find it hard to gain employment or are working for them selves and find people lack convidence in them comparred to similar less skilled able bods'

    And how do you or have you overcome these problems?

    #2
    Self employed C6, only had one client doubt my abilities. No degree though.
    Death and taxes

    Comment


      #3
      I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by gpbullock View Post
        I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.
        I would agree with that but as an accountant and tax agent i don't think so

        I don't know whats its is over the state etc but in Aust to gain your tax license you have to show the ability that you have completed an array work on all aspects of tax, in which people don't realise or don't want to.

        Comment


          #5
          You have a fellow low quad here with a lot of experience as a working quad in corporate America.

          I would slowly build the confidence of your clients by meeting each commitment that you make to them. It is as simple and as hard as that in any work/life situation.

          If you have the expertise to offer a client services, then just make sure that you deliver them right and on time. As long as there is demand for your expertise and you have a good reputation then clients should request your services.

          If you consistently deliver these things over time, then you will gain people's respect and more business. Getting started and building up to an equilibrium will be the hardest part but don't give up and keep you options for new/better opportunities open as you proceed. Ask people that you trust if what you are doing is working or not.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
            You have a fellow low quad here with a lot of experience as a working quad in corporate America.

            I would slowly build the confidence of your clients by meeting each commitment that you make to them. It is as simple and as hard as that in any work/life situation.

            If you have the expertise to offer a client services, then just make sure that you deliver them right and on time. As long as there is demand for your expertise and you have a good reputation then clients should request your services.

            If you consistently deliver these things over time, then you will gain people's respect and more business. Getting started and building up to an equilibrium will be the hardest part but don't give up and keep you options for new/better opportunities open as you proceed. Ask people that you trust if what you are doing is working or not.
            Thanks thats appreciated - and yes i am qualified and have gained the expereince.

            I also rember that it did not appear to this hard when i was walking in establishing and running a business

            Comment


              #7
              C6 quad here, 18yrs in investment banking but currently working for the CEO of Craig Hospital www.craighospital.org We try to create and promote positions for and in mind of all types of abilities regardless of level of injury. The finance industry was the same. If you can present yourself professionally, know your subject matter well, display commitment, honesty, integrity and a good attendance consistency I don't think that it's that hard to find a job/career regardless of chair or not.

              I've seen C3 quads work telemarketing jobs and become very successful / independent and then I've seen low paras, who have much more physical capability, get jobs and never show up for work. It's all about work ethic, drive, motivation, necessity. If you want a job/career bad enough you'll find one, if not, there will always be an excuse ~ able-bodied or disabled. It's all about choice.

              Onward and upward,

              Chris

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Chris Chappell View Post
                C6 quad here, 18yrs in investment banking but currently working for the CEO of Craig Hospital www.craighospital.org We try to create and promote positions for and in mind of all types of abilities regardless of level of injury. The finance industry was the same. If you can present yourself professionally, know your subject matter well, display commitment, honesty, integrity and a good attendance consistency I don't think that it's that hard to find a job/career regardless of chair or not.

                I've seen C3 quads work telemarketing jobs and become very successful / independent and then I've seen low paras, who have much more physical capability, get jobs and never show up for work. It's all about work ethic, drive, motivation, necessity. If you want a job/career bad enough you'll find one, if not, there will always be an excuse ~ able-bodied or disabled. It's all about choice.

                Onward and upward,

                Chris
                Please don't consider this as a insult but i do think it total depends whether or not you live in a rural setting or a major capital city, it also has to do with the mind set of the country, area etc.

                I am glad to see the mind set seems to be a positive one were you are suituated. And I do agree with you that work ethic has a lot to do with it, but its unfortunate that I have in most cases come accross more offen an not that there is a negitive perception, among the commercial employer community.

                I have been to government jobs where they tell me i should be in public practice arena and then those in public practice saying government postion would be more suitable.

                I have been told by one that although i have the knowledge base and previous expreince in the area of industry they supported, they did not consider that as a c5-c6 quad that i would be able to do the work.

                One told me that i don't look professional even though i arrived at the interview with a suit and tie minus the jacket, for ovious reasons must have been that f*&king chair.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Cspine View Post
                  Self employed C6, only had one client doubt my abilities. No degree though.
                  If you don't mind me asking what is that you do?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by gpbullock View Post
                    I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.
                    yes as roofer that would be a tough sell

                    Comment


                      #11
                      c5 @ 15yrs old, completed highschool, then Uni Bachelors degree in business/computers, 10yrs w/ IBM, now doing tech support at a regional hospital.....its all about selling yourself, your skills, what u can do for them.... ask in interviews if they have concerns because you'd like to alleviate them, that u r confiddent u can more than adequately do the job...sell over-coming personal obstacles as show of your determination, thinking ability to overcome obstacles & draw symmetry to doing the same in work... giving examples of how u r proactive & a go getter and that u do good work, that u r always looking to learn/build skills, that u have a broad perspective/understanding personal relationships, etc

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X