Edinboro University Penn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinboro University Penn

Hi I was just wondering has anyone heard or gone to this college? I have been looking into it. They say they are a very diverse school. They make all kinds of accommodations for the disabled students. They even have hospital bed rentals, OT's to help adjust to living on campus and make adaptions for classes, they have an adaptive fitness center, w/c sports, a w/c basketball team. Sounds very good to me. I am seriously thinking of applying to this school.

I am concerned because I would be far away from home what would I do as far as my medical team of doctors that I have now in Maine and Boston? Also physical therapy that I have now twice a week. School has an OT but doesn't say anything about having a PT. Also getting my catheters esp would be another big question.

Just wondering if any of you have gone. Heard good or bad about this school? All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you choose to go to a school in Pennsylvania, I would suggest ones that are in southeastern PA.

Comment

Originally posted by kkmay View Post
      If you choose to go to a school in Pennsylvania, I would suggest ones that are in southeastern PA.
      why do you suggest this??

Comment

I know a lot of people that are going/have went there. They are accessible and they do accomodate...to what extent I do not know since a lot of the people I know are only using the van services (they are paras). They get a ton of snow...usually starting in October. That will make it hard to get anywhere...but as far as accessibility is concerned...they are pretty good.
        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

What is your major? Do they have a special program in this area that meets your needs? Don't pick a school based only on their Disabled Services. This is preparation for your career.

Not sure why the school you attend would affect your access to supplies?? Your insurance would still need to be in place. If you are getting state Medicaid, then moving to a different state will require you to apply again once you have met any residency requirements. Stock up on supplies and meds now to get you through the transition. The same would apply for any therapy or physician services. The school is not going to provide that. The OT consultation I am sure is only to help you with any specific ADLs or functional activities and equipment needed for your classwork...not to provide regular OT therapy services.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Because that's where I live. Although I didn't go to college, in high school I did explore.

Comment

SCI-Nurse question: Because my home address is still in Maine why would I have to apply for insurance. Also I am not exactly sure what my major is going to be so I am not chosing this school based on their disabled services. The school has it's own health center to. They also have a several different gyms and one is an adaptive gym for people with disabilities.

Comment

Before I got hurt I was going to Penn State Behrend (VERY unaccessible) all hills. But I would always go to Edinboro to party because my school was an engineering school. :P

When I was there I saw a ton of people in wheelchairs. It looked like a pretty accessible place. But the winters there are horrible.

I totally agree with KDL. Don't pick a school based on accessibility, pick a school based on what YOU want to do. All schools must accommodate either way. Having a wheelchair sports is great but it isn't going to define what you do in the future.
                Injured:10-16-04
                C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                Blog:
                http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                Progress:
                http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                My drawings:
                http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by bailey5774 View Post
                  SCI-Nurse question: Because my home address is still in Maine why would I have to apply for insurance. Also I am not exactly sure what my major is going to be so I am not chosing this school based on their disabled services. The school has it's own health center to. They also have a several different gyms and one is an adaptive gym for people with disabilities.
                  What is your insurance? If it is Medicaid, it will not cover you in another state. Just because the school has a health center does not mean that care is free, and they of course may not know a whole lot about SCI or your care needs. What if you require hospitalization? Are you sure they provide free medical care, supplies and meds? I would doubt that very much. Get it in writing.

I would suggest you get some career counseling if you haven't a clue what major you are seeking...PRIOR to starting school. Voc Rehab is unlikely to cover education costs without a career plan in place as well.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hi.. We live in NY and my son is a C 5 Quad and he is attending the University of Ilinois @ Urbana. He lives in a dorm for disabled students and will move into a brand new dorm in September which all the disbled students will live on the first floor .
                    The school is leader in providing support for the students like my son. For example my son is now responsible for managing his PCA staff. These PCA's are fellow students and 95% apply through the University's disabled office . They train them in giving CPR, and basic nursing skills, and are directed by the student him/herself for their individual care. My son even hired some Pca's from the virtual job board for non- affliated people and trained them himself.
                    He is a sophomore now and his first year was something to behold. My wife and I were very concrened about him being so far from home. The transformation of what he can accomplish on his own is remarkable. He can now go to the emgency room/ health clinic on his own, buy groceries, get medications etc. He goes to class in his motorized chair when the weather is not btterly cold, or takes the van to class. Theere are two hospitals less than 3 miles way.
                    He takes a class called kinesiolgy sp.? which is a one credit class which a Physical Therapist sets up an individual program 3 hours a week. My son is much stronger now and has less pain in his shoulders.
                    The school puts all his books and reading materials on pdf format and almost all professors has their notes online. He never had a problem with notes ( I actuallly went a couple of his huge classes and saw him texting/ playing games on his I- phone.)
                    I can't say enough of what this school has done for my son. The only thing is it is not cheap. As a out of state his tuition is 23,00/ yr and the cost of PCA care is 13,000/yr and room and board is also 13,00/yr. Thank God he has 3 merit scholarships and the NYS vocational agency (VESID) pays for the PCA care and books, 4,600/yr for tuition which is what SUNY rate is. and 1,000 /yr for other costs. He takes out loans and I pat the rest.
                    He is doing so well he is applying for a summer internship in Washington D.C. in a program sponsored by the AADP which he will be interning at the Capitol. They will also give him a dorm room at GW university a 2,000 stipend and PCA care. n He is doing ok.

Comment

Okwjoe, Sounds like your son is doing well for himself!! that is great! I am still up in the air as to what I'm going to do next year. Still looking into all my options. I have some people who want me to stay local for at least one year and some say go for it. The reason why some want me to stay is because all my doctors are here in the New England area. I still see my rehab doctor about every 3 months.

Part of me is thinking stay here for one year maybe get a part time job and really put some money away. Part of me just wants to go out on a limb and try it. I'm thinking the first is more realistic. I have never taken a full college load before so maybe it is best staying around here for at least one year. I guess I'll wait and see which doors decides to open for me.

You should be very proud of your son. Sounds like he's a great kid! Good luck to him in all that he is doing.

Comment

bailey,

I stuck around for a semester close to home so I could adapt, it helped alot. Once I was living on my own I ran into some issues as well (mainly food shopping) but if you have an aid you can solve that problem.

Goodluck.
                        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                        Facebook:
                        Progress:
                        My drawings:

Comment

Originally posted by okwjoe View Post
                          He lives in a dorm for disabled students and will move into a brand new dorm in September which all the disbled students will live on the first floor .
                          That sounds more like a prison camp than a college, what ever happened to integration? Do they put the blacks and the Jews on separate floors too?

Comment

Originally posted by Isdale25 View Post
                            That sounds more like a prison camp than a college, what ever happened to integration? Do they put the blacks and the Jews on separate floors too?
                            This isn't forced I don't think, its offered.

I remember I was offered the same thing and I refused because I didn't want to be surrounded by it all, I wanted to be at college just like anyone else and not put into a group.

For some its great though, they are more comfortable when they have other people that can relate to them.
                            C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                            Facebook:
                            Progress:
                            My drawings:

Comment

Hey Isdale what an ignorant remark you made... Yes they live in a dorm for the severely disabled because all of their supports are there, you can't imagine there are less fortunate souls who are just as disabled as my son's C4 SCI and they were born that way, they choose to be there because some require intensive nursing care. T hey will moving into a dorm next semester and live on the first floor along with 600 other students in that dorm.. The goal is for them is too live in a apartment or dorm room independently and manage their lives on their own by senior year like the vast majority end up doing. My son goes to all his classes himself, goes out to bars, joins clubs, makes friends,and does what other students do. So if he was stuck at home looking at 4 walls and feeling sorry for himself.. that would be segregation
                              Last edited by okwjoe; 22 Jan 2010, 3:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X