Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?

just wonderin'. maybe we can turn this into a constructive "you can" and "how do I" thread. here's what i do: www.coconinocycles.com feel free to quiz me. i'm all ears. steve.
    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Good idea Steve. I'm moving this to the Work, School & Money forum.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Currently, I'm on long term disability from my employer. Before my injury, I worked 18 years in a local community savings bank. I was a vice president, compliance officer, and assistant financial officer. If I could get my neuropathic pain under control and get my bowel problems in somewhat of an order, then maybe I could get back to work; however, it doesn't look to promising right now.
      T11 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by araitn View Post
        Currently, I'm on long term disability from my employer. Before my injury, I worked 18 years in a local community savings bank. I was a vice president, compliance officer, and assistant financial officer. If I could get my neuropathic pain under control and get my bowel problems in somewhat of an order, then maybe I could get back to work; however, it doesn't look to promising right now.
        how long have you been injured? how about working at home? do you WANT to work? {not a swipe at you} steve.

Comment

I work with the mentally ill for a non for profit business out of a group home. Residential supervisor on the midnight shift. Easy job most the time or i wouldnt be able to do it. I am having surgery in May of this year and will see after that if i am going to apply for SS. The surgery is for weight loss but i cant have any spinal surgery with out losing weight so... Right now its the fibromyalgia that is driving nails in my coffin. Its kinda nuts that Fibro would send me way over the edge after all i have endured..I was one of those people that thought it was baloney. LOL. figures huh.
          “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Comment

WoW, really good stuff you're doing there Steve. I work for my tribe, I only work part time, I gave up my full time job 2 years ago just cuz I wanted a break and I like it. I agree with Araitn it would be impossible to go back to work if you don't have your bowel and bladder under control, I'm grateful thats not the situation with me.
            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

What kind of work can i start doing on the web,i have a plumbing company so my dad runs my teams and i do the reports on the com ,but his geting old so i need to start looking for something i can do from home on computer

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                how long have you been injured? how about working at home? do you WANT to work? {not a swipe at you} steve.
                Yeah, I have the desire to work, but it's just not possible right now. I've been injured for almost 15 months and my employer is still holding my job for me, but my leave of absence will end in a couple of months.

My pain just continues to get worse and no, I'm not a wimp or a puss. I endured Sarcoidosis of the muscles prior to my sci without taking any medication, and it was very painful, but I continued to work. This current pain is the worst pain I have ever felt and I wouldn't wish it on my biggest enemy, not that I have any. No drugs are doing any good, they just make me fuzzy headed. On top of that, my bowels just have a mind of their own and I have accidents multiple times a day. I'm doing everything by the book.... bowel program, lots of fiber, lots of fluids, etc. My physiatrist is trying to get my insurance to pay for an extended inpatient rehab stay at a SCI facility a couple of hours from my house to work on my bowel and bladder problems, again. So, we'll see.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not just sitting around taking handouts.

I showed my brother your website and he liked your work. He said that he would have been interested in purchasing a bike from you if he hadn't just ordered one from another place.

Thanks for the post.
                T11 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by araitn View Post
                  Yeah, I have the desire to work, but it's just not possible right now. I've been injured for almost 15 months and my employer is still holding my job for me, but my leave of absence will end in a couple of months.

My pain just continues to get worse and no, I'm not a wimp or a puss. I endured Sarcoidosis of the muscles prior to my sci without taking any medication, and it was very painful, but I continued to work. This current pain is the worst pain I have ever felt and I wouldn't wish it on my biggest enemy, not that I have any. No drugs are doing any good, they just make me fuzzy headed. On top of that, my bowels just have a mind of their own and I have accidents multiple times a day. I'm doing everything by the book.... bowel program, lots of fiber, lots of fluids, etc. My physiatrist is trying to get my insurance to pay for an extended inpatient rehab stay at a SCI facility a couple of hours from my house to work on my bowel and bladder problems, again. So, we'll see.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not just sitting around taking handouts.

I showed my brother your website and he liked your work. He said that he would have been interested in purchasing a bike from you if he hadn't just ordered one from another place.

Thanks for the post.
                  yeah, man - that totally sucks. can you work via the internet? my shop is 10ft away from my house, luckily.......a good thing. with an SCI you just never know how your day is gonna go........ what's your pain? let's work on this.......steve.

Comment

araitn, do you have a lower motor neuron bowel? Have you tried using imodium to reduce accidents? That is the only thing that works for me (imodium & fibercon) - I also have bowel movements several times a day but as long as I keep the stool firm I can make it to the bathroom before it becomes an accident. Mike
                    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

araitn - I am just throwing this out to you. You could consider getting a colostomy and then have no more 'accidents'. I have a descending colostomy and irrigate every other day - takes 30 minutes and I never have to carry anything in the bag. I know it sounds radical but , it is worth thinking about...
                      good luck.
                      Jon

Comment

I returned to university in 2004 after working for 15 years and completed my Masters degree (environmental science) and then got sucked into continuing on to do a PhD, started in 2006. After injury in 2007 I have been able to creatively change the focus of my research to shift from things that require field work (I was looking at flooding in wetlands but getting around is pretty difficult now and even a bit of time in a 4WD on rough roads is a problem) to more computer based. My prior work was 50% field based, so I've skilled up on using satellite imagery to research how wetlands respond after flooding and have had a lot of offers of consultancy work using these skills.

Biggest issues for me have been concentration at uni (hard to concentrate when you have 'ant' crawling up and down your legs all day or unrelenting pain) and going to conferences - sitting in a room full of people really stresses me out from fear of having an accident, embarrassment at having to get up and go to the bathroom multiple times during a session, meeting collegues I haven't seen for a few years and trying to explain why I walk so funny, sharing accomodation with work collegues etc etc.

Comment

I am between jobs and a rock and a hard place... Just got retrenched from work... I wouldn't say retrenched more like... ah anyway not gonna bore with details... I am considering quite seriously a change in life - I did half a B.Psych about 12 years ago the only reason of which I left was the lack of money doing the degree and well the promise of worldly wealth... I quit uni to work in film and TV... that only lasted a few years then I got a job as a marketing assistant with a firm and worked and wriggled myself into a hailstorm when the company forced me to resign about 3 months ago not before I become product line sales manager. I did a course last year on compliance management and ISO9000 - I got a job as a compliance manager for a manufacturing firm which I have been at till recently (1 week ago). I hated it with a passion anyway...

I am making plans to sell the house to finance the next couple of years not working while I do my Psych degree... See where that leads me...
                          Last edited by Keiser; 01-23-2009, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I was working in a Casual fine dining restaurant before my accident about 14 months ago. There is no way I can get back into that so looking at going back to school.

What I really want to do is work in a rehab center as a psychologist of some sort speaking with new SCI patients.
                            T-7 Complete
                            "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Comment

I am a dog trainer. I love it but it is not easy to make it full time work. I am also going to university part time taking BSc with the goal being a major in zoology with a specialty of ethology - especially animal communication.
                              I basically want to do the same thing I am doing but earn more money doing it. It seems adding degrees to my experience will help me accomplish this.
                              C3/4 Brown Sequard

Comment

Working...
                              X