School speech about SCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School speech about SCI

I'm trying to develop my speech. Which would have more impact in a persuasive speech??

1. Funding
    2. Community Choice Act
    3. Stem Cell Research
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I would go for stem cell. Its a hot topic especially with Obama reversing Bush's bill over. Theres a ton of reasons for it and against but for your paper and our situation I would go for the positive. I'm real interested in how far Obama will let stem cells research go. Let us know what you dig up on any of those subjects.

Comment

I agree we need a cure ...research is the key.

Comment

I would stress that this could happen to anyone - even them - using the many varied stories of origin here. How it impacts friends, family, employment, your health (secondary complications), etc. Stress the commonalities.

THEN go into the latest research - but don't make it ALL about stem cells i.e. the Miami Project, etc.

Good on you for doing this!
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

You could combine funding with stem cell research. Talk about how Obama has pledged to lift Bush's hESC restrictions and, while a giant step forward in itself, funding increases (and/or financial incentives) are needed to fulfill their promise. (Mentioning that iPS cell research will also be held back without increased federal funding may convince hESC opponents that more funding is indeed necessary.)
          ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
            I would stress that this could happen to anyone - even them - !
            Exactly. This story needs a beginning.. that beginning is YOU! If you write all about funding or research your listeners will be lost. Did you know what SCI was? I only knew a tad bc of Christopher Reeve but not enough to follow a funding or research speech. Can't you combine awareness and funding for research? What is your cutoff in time?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Problem solution structure. So, state the problem(SCI) which I will open about my accident and how it could happen to anyone. Now I have to present a solution that will persuade the audience to take "immediate"* action on the issue.

The reason I'm having such a hard time choosing is the ethical point to the audience. I live in the bible belt and am not trying to come off as the guy who wants to kill babies to save himself. I'm in favor of stem cells, but doubt many will follow. Another thing is coming off of all the terms properly.

*The solution should require the audience to take a specific action the audience is willing, able, capable, and has the means to act upon and complete.
              Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

The iPS cells provide the ethical out and encouragement to contact Coburn and Coleman about increased funding.
                ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

I also like the example Chris Chappel used in posting a reply to Kristi about the burning church on one side of the road and the burning lab with 'potential human beings' on the other - where to send the fire department. Difficult to argue that point!
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                    Difficult to argue that point!
                    Not really.

Comment

I think I'd go with funding; but not funding directed at organizations to make more AB researchers rich...funding to put into the hands of SCI'd individuals for the purpose of buying the equipment/supplies we need and getting the medical care that's necessary to keep us independent and healthy.
                      "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

Originally posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
                        Problem solution structure. So, state the problem(SCI) which I will open about my accident and how it could happen to anyone. Now I have to present a solution that will persuade the audience to take "immediate"* action on the issue.

The reason I'm having such a hard time choosing is the ethical point to the audience. I live in the bible belt and am not trying to come off as the guy who wants to kill babies to save himself. I'm in favor of stem cells, but doubt many will follow. Another thing is coming off of all the terms properly.

*The solution should require the audience to take a specific action the audience is willing, able, capable, and has the means to act upon and complete.
                        I think Problem: SCI is too broad.

If you begin with your specific situation to give background, what then will be the specific problem(s) presented?

If you address a specific problem issue related to SCI, then focus is narrowed and simplified, as is the possible solution and necessary steps to reach completion.

Based on what you said:
                        PROBLEM: SCI ---> cost of care? specific impacts?
                        SOLUTION: Cure ---> Means: Stem Cells? since 1 or few actions will not fully achieve the stated solution, maybe a solution, or a part of the soution, can be in passing of bills/legislation - a specific Bill that has a definite goals with timeline
                        ACTION: ?

So, can reframe things another way...
                        PROBLEM: Cost of cure ---> more specifically, passage of bills that will enable greater funding of research for cure
                        SOLUTION: Legislation x (or passage of)
                        ACTION: calls, letters, etc. (these are "specific action the audience is willing, able, capable, and has the means to act upon and complete")

If you can persuade audience to pick up a phone to make a simple call or quick email, both actions any college students are able to do and have the means to act upon and compete, then you have succeeded. Just gotta get them "willing".

Choose a bill with the least ethical conflicts (see steven)
                        What are the benefits? Who will benefit? How will it save co$t in long run?
                        How will this benefit INDIRECTLY your audience? *if they can see a personal benefit, they may be more willing.
                        Re the ethical issues/concerns, how does the bill reconcile them? are there conditions, restrictions, criteria to be met regarding research and use?

Anyway, just some quick thoughts. Good luck!
                        Last edited by chick; 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Alrighty, we'll see how this works out. I'm drawing up my rough draft and will post what I decide.

My Myspace

Comment

Working...
                          X